Well, let's get these out of the way...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Well, let's get these out of the way...

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:HCDB's presser is on. He's not defending MAF at all.

Just might see Vokoun in the net Thursday.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

BigMcK wrote:Go back and watch what a coach does.

AGAIN!

get back on that line...............

He is two games away from being fired.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

This might not be the place for it, but if this team gets bounced, Letang should be moved. This team can't afford to spend $6+ million on a defense-men like him. This team needs a calming, defensive force. Someone like a Ryan Suter. I know he's not available, but a player of that ilk.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby m.lemieux66 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Did everyone miss Sid coasting to the bench on the rush? Seriously, check around the 10:00 mark in the third period.
You need a team effort to win in the playoffs. It doesn't help that MAF is weak.
m.lemieux66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 pm

slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:my thoughts exactly. vokoun is here for a very good reason. if bylsma doesnt use him and we lose, that is the hill he choose to stake his job on.

And if Bylsma goes with Vokoun and he looks as bad as Fleury?

Then you know you weren't going anywhere anyways. Continuing to play Fleury makes no sense.

Oh, I'm not arguing that Vokoun shouldn't start game 5 - he absolutely should. I just think the team is a completely trainwreck and that swapping Vokoun for Fleury is only going to have minimal effect.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm

PghSkins wrote:Optional practice.

:thumb:

I was thinking that earlier. The team gets completely outplayed by the Islanders in two consecutive games and Bylsma holds an option practice followed by an optional morning skate. :face:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:17 pm

vcip wrote:Kennedy needs to play & should have been playing. Glass is useless. Adams could sit also. Put Bennett in. It is a good spot for Vokuun to start. Play Depres also.

LOL. They already played Despres and he was responsible for first 2 goals of game 3. No thanks.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Can you imagine how much schadenfreude is going on in Boston right now?

How many Calgary fans are shaking their heads going "this is the team Jerome wanted to join"?

Embarrassing, completely embarrassing.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:my thoughts exactly. vokoun is here for a very good reason. if bylsma doesnt use him and we lose, that is the hill he choose to stake his job on.

Then you know you weren't going anywhere anyways. Continuing to play Fleury makes no sense.

Oh, I'm not arguing that Vokoun shouldn't start game 5 - he absolutely should. I just think the team is a completely trainwreck and that swapping Vokoun for Fleury is only going to have minimal effect.

Put it this way -- say they continue to be mediocre to poor their own zone and lackadaisacal with the puck. I think TV is more likely to steal a game under those circumstances at this point.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:For a superstar, Malkin is indeed an undisciplined one. Maybe the most undisciplined talent I have ever seen.

I've said forever that Malkin is a talented idiot on skates. Everyone jumps down my back. I've never seen a more talented player make worse decisions throughout a game.

I've also said that Fleury is a headcase and no starting goaltender should give up soft goals as often as he does. Everyone defends him and gets on me for being negative.

I've stated over and over that Byslma is a horrible coach and won't adjust and gets outcoached nightly. Heck he won't even pull his starting goaltender! Again this is proving to be true.

I've said that Letang is another talented idiot on skates. He's so overrated it's crazy. Great skater, great shot, strong....can't hit the net, hits shinpads non stop, horrible decisions, headcase....and tonight's icing late in the game took the cake. LOL

Sure I was negative, but I was negative for all the right reasons. And now it's proving to be true.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 pm

slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Put it this way -- say they continue to be mediocre to poor their own zone and lackadaisacal with the puck. I think TV is more likely to steal a game under those circumstances at this point.

With the way this team is playing, I don't think even Roy or Hasek could steal a game.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:23 pm

tfrizz wrote:
With the way this team is playing, I don't think even Roy or Hasek could steal a game.

I mean, if he doesn't give up the softie at the end of the second, do we win this game? I think so. We'll never know obviously.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 pm

I still don't understand why TK wasn't inserted tonight. We lack speed and a forecheck against these guys and he keeps Glass in there. Anyone else can step in for Glass on the PK. Just bad coaching.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 pm

slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

I mean, if he doesn't give up the softie at the end of the second, do we win this game? I think so. We'll never know obviously.

Possibly.

That goal basically summarized the Pens' play this series, too. Fail to get the puck out; shot from the point that Fleury doesn't swallow; Crosby runs into Fleury and turns him completely around; Okposo throws the puck at Fleury, who seems surprised that the puck hits him and reacts by kicking it into the net.

I'm still 99% sure Fleury never saw that puck after getting turned around. The only way he kicks like he did is it he's completely surprised; if he's tracking the puck, then he's aware enough to know he's got to cover it.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm

murphydump55 wrote:I still don't understand why TK wasn't inserted tonight. We lack speed and a forecheck against these guys and he keeps Glass in there. Anyone else can step in for Glass on the PK. Just bad coaching.

Because Tyler Kennedy would have solidified the defense with the 7 minutes he would have played on the 4th line?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I still don't understand why TK wasn't inserted tonight. We lack speed and a forecheck against these guys and he keeps Glass in there. Anyone else can step in for Glass on the PK. Just bad coaching.

Because Tyler Kennedy would have solidified the defense with the 7 minutes he would have played on the 4th line?

Nope, but he might have actually forechecked with speed and started a cycle, therefore keeping the puck OUT of our end.

Didn't think I'd actually have to explain that.....but.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 pm

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Possibly.

That goal basically summarized the Pens' play this series, too. Fail to get the puck out; shot from the point that Fleury doesn't swallow; Crosby runs into Fleury and turns him completely around; Okposo throws the puck at Fleury, who seems surprised that the puck hits him and reacts by kicking it into the net.

I'm still 99% sure Fleury never saw that puck after getting turned around. The only way he kicks like he did is it he's completely surprised; if he's tracking the puck, then he's aware enough to know he's got to cover it.

Any explanation of what MAF was doing on that goal is not good for MAF.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 07, 2013 10:56 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Nope, but he might have actually forechecked with speed and started a cycle, therefore keeping the puck OUT of our end.

You're just nitpicking just to nitpick at this point. Kennedy can't crack this line up because he's just not that versatile of a player. He's not overly physical, he can't kill penalties, he's just not that good. He would have been a non factor in tonight's game.

I'm fine with debating Fleury. He's played better games. Malkin is a head case. However, I refuse to believe Kennedy would have made a difference. If he plays on Thursday and they win, it will not be because of him.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Bench Fleury. Start Vokoun. Cut Fluery. Hartzell is the future.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

You're just nitpicking just to nitpick at this point. Kennedy can't crack this line up because he's just not that versatile of a player. He's not overly physical, he can't kill penalties, he's just not that good. He would have been a non factor in tonight's game.

I'm fine with debating Fleury. He's played better games. Malkin is a head case. However, I refuse to believe Kennedy would have made a difference. If he plays on Thursday and they win, it will not be because of him.

But Glass was a factor? Okay.

I said after last game that we needed more speed and tenacity in their end. Kennedy can be that guy. Glass is bringing nothing to this team in the playoffs and did very little throughout the year. I'm pretty sure Kunitz, Morrow, or even a guy like Vitale could kill penalties just as well as Glass. Sure Glass adds a physical game, but has he even been somewhat noticeable this series?
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 pm

slappybrown wrote:Its funny because before the series, if you told me we had to play the Islanders in a best of 3 with two at home, I would be ok with it.

Me too. But at that point I liked the pens I was seeing. Now...not so much.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

But Glass was a factor? Okay.

I said after last game that we needed more speed and tenacity in their end. Kennedy can be that guy. Glass is bringing nothing to this team in the playoffs and did very little throughout the year. I'm pretty sure Kunitz, Morrow, or even a guy like Vitale could kill penalties just as well as Glass. Sure Glass adds a physical game, but has he even been somewhat noticeable this series?

Kunitz is on the top line and top power play, asking him to PK is a stretch. Morrow is too slow. Where is Vitale playing if TK is also in? Are you taking out Adams, another main PKer?

This isn't NHL 13. Making minor tweaks to your 4th line isn't going to turn this series around.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BleuLineLady on Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Scratch Malkin. Sounds crazy, but nothing else is working. I made a point about this before the playoffs start. Here is the Pens record with and without Malkin this year: With Malkin 23-12, Without Malkin, 15-2. In the 35 games played with him in the lineup this year, in 22 of them the opposing team scored more than 2 goals. In the 17 games without him, opposing teams scored more than 2 goals in 5 of those games. Team defense becomes worse with him in the lineup. Obviously, they are still winning many of these games but the stats show not as convincingly or as securely and in the playoffs, when team defense does matter, this could be the difference.

His defense and lack of responsibility has been severely hurting this team for a long while now. The numbers dont lie and it should be evident.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm

tfrizz wrote:
PghSkins wrote:Optional practice.

:thumb:

I was thinking that earlier. The team gets completely outplayed by the Islanders in two consecutive games and Bylsma holds an option practice followed by an optional morning skate. :face:

That tells you everything you need to know about how this organization is run right now. Bylsma sent a message to the team that its ok and no big deal after games 2 and 3.

Message well received tonight.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 07, 2013 11:42 pm

One time when Geno wasn't giving a good effort in the KHL this season, Paul Maurice benched him in the 3rd when they were holding on to a one-goal lead. Geno was a two-way beast that part of the season, being utilized on the PK as well.

Bylsma can't reign in Geno (along with the team it seems). Obviously too much of a player's coach. If you all of a sudden try to change your tune out of the blue, they will probably tune you out even more (See: Boudreau in WSH). I think Bylsma has made his bed.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins