Vokoun will be the game changer.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 pm

And the Pens will win the next 2. Book it.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,129
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm

It's the right move even in TV loses game 5. You can bring in MAF after the benching and still give your team a chance in game 6 and on. A win in game 5 and things will get interesting for future games. I'd say you have to keep TV in net until another loss/setback.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 pm

What if he doesn't start on Thursday?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,291
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby wondermoose on Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Crankshaft wrote:What if he doesn't start on Thursday?


Then Bylsma has punched his ticket out of town if they lose the series.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,973
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Tue May 07, 2013 9:56 pm

if bylsma doesnt turn to vokoun and we lose this series it is his job on the line. I have defened MAF until this point, but its become clear he is not a good playoff goalie in 2013. he needs so time off to rediscover his form. he looks lost out there.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:47 am

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby pronovost19 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:if bylsma doesnt turn to vokoun and we lose this series it is his job on the line. I have defened MAF until this point, but its become clear he is not a good playoff goalie in 2013. he needs so time off to rediscover his form. he looks lost out there.


The Pens just need to get to their game haha
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,144
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:22 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby jwest21 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 pm

This team sinks or swims with Fleury
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,091
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 pm

benching fleury puts a dent in the country club. i wish we could bench some of the other members, but i don't see how that can happen
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,837
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

pronovost19 wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:if bylsma doesnt turn to vokoun and we lose this series it is his job on the line. I have defened MAF until this point, but its become clear he is not a good playoff goalie in 2013. he needs so time off to rediscover his form. he looks lost out there.


The Pens just need to get to their game haha


Apparently Steigy (yes, Paul) talked about that on the radio today. He said that Bylsma believes that when teams make adjustments they just "have to play his system better" and called it a "very arrogant style of coaching".
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,315
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 pm

Benching Fleury sends a clear message to him and the rest of the team. Maybe they play differently in front of Vokoun. At least that is the hope. If not, they are all out of options....and the golf course will be calling.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby nocera on Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 pm

I'll be surprised if Vokoun starts.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,097
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm

nocera wrote:I'll be surprised if Vokoun starts.


I won't be, but I'll be surprised if he makes a difference unless a completely different team shows up to play.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,315
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby bringitonhome on Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 pm

I get the idea, but tell me what you do with Fleury after this season is over? How do you keep Fleury after 3 years of terrible playoff goaltending? Is it on Fleury or the coach or both? I'm really at a loss for what the right move should be. I see so many adjustments that should have been made as far as the lineup that I can't totally blame Fleury(not that he hasnt let in his fair share of junk goals). There does have to be a game or 2 that your goalie wins for you. I don't know, Im a little confused. All I do know is that I am going to game 5 and I am gonna be fired up and doing what I can to get that crowd to cheer the pens to victory....I'm gonna do my part...now its up to the pens to do theirs.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,504
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Kovy27 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 pm

I don't think it matters who starts...if they don't get out of this round...DB is gone.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,614
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Rocco on Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 pm

bringitonhome wrote:I get the idea, but tell me what you do with Fleury after this season is over? How do you keep Fleury after 3 years of terrible playoff goaltending? Is it on Fleury or the coach or both? I'm really at a loss for what the right move should be. I see so many adjustments that should have been made as far as the lineup that I can't totally blame Fleury(not that he hasnt let in his fair share of junk goals). There does have to be a game or 2 that your goalie wins for you. I don't know, Im a little confused. All I do know is that I am going to game 5 and I am gonna be fired up and doing what I can to get that crowd to cheer the pens to victory....I'm gonna do my part...now its up to the pens to do theirs.


Trade him to Edmonton.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,058
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 pm

tfrizz wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:
Pucks_and_Pols wrote:if bylsma doesnt turn to vokoun and we lose this series it is his job on the line. I have defened MAF until this point, but its become clear he is not a good playoff goalie in 2013. he needs so time off to rediscover his form. he looks lost out there.


The Pens just need to get to their game haha


Apparently Steigy (yes, Paul) talked about that on the radio today. He said that Bylsma believes that when teams make adjustments they just "have to play his system better" and called it a "very arrogant style of coaching".


Really? Noooooooo.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,549
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby sil on Tue May 07, 2013 10:47 pm

tfrizz wrote:
nocera wrote:I'll be surprised if Vokoun starts.


I won't be, but I'll be surprised if he makes a difference unless a completely different team shows up to play.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,932
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 pm

nocera wrote:I'll be surprised if Vokoun starts.


If he doesn't, it's a completely slap in the face to Shero. I would fire Bylsma on the spot.

Your goaltender has struggled over the past 3 playoff seasons. Here's a competent backup in case it happens again. Oh you're ignoring that I went out to address a problem and spent good money on him?

Then I guess I know who the real problem is. The guy who claims they need to play the system "better".
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,549
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Inkio on Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Cut Fluery. Hartzell is the future.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 pm

in all seriousness what would happen if Vokoun came in and played lights out in the next 2 and we win the series? Then if he would start next round and we rode him to the cup what would that mean? Would Fleury be gone if that happened? just curious what would happen from that
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,348
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Inkio on Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:in all seriousness what would happen if Vokoun came in and played lights out in the next 2 and we win the series? Then if he would start next round and we rode him to the cup what would that mean? Would Fleury be gone if that happened? just curious what would happen from that


If that happened he needs to be cut. Sorry.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby nocera on Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Pens Cup hopes begin and end with Fleury. Vokoun might get you a game, but definitely not to the championship.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,097
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Rocco on Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm

nocera wrote:Pens Cup hopes begin and end with Fleury. Vokoun might get you a game, but definitely not to the championship.


Perhaps, but starting MAF on Thursday is the definition of insanity.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,058
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby Crankshaft on Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm

nocera wrote:Pens Cup hopes begin and end with Fleury. Vokoun might get you a game, but definitely not to the championship.


Right now, all you need is a game. The Islanders are proving to be a horrible match up.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,291
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:in all seriousness what would happen if Vokoun came in and played lights out in the next 2 and we win the series? Then if he would start next round and we rode him to the cup what would that mean? Would Fleury be gone if that happened? just curious what would happen from that


Who cares? We would have won the cup.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,708
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Digitalgypsy66, E-Ramone, Humperdink, Scate and 21 guests


e-mail