Vokoun will be the game changer.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby headh on Fri May 31, 2013 3:49 pm

nhl94 wrote:
headh wrote:
nhl94 wrote:
headh wrote:I think we have two starting goalies both capable of winning a cup

nhl94 wrote:I think we have ONE starting goalie capable of winning a cup

well MAF already has won one and Vokoun may be better

a player winning a cup doesn't mean he deserved it. fleury by all means was not even close to being the top goalie that year, he was just avg if anything. Pens held him up as usual...

winning a cup is winning a cup and that is the goal. if that doesn't count for anything in your book then you are reading the wrong book. You don't have to be the best goalie in the league you just have to be good enough at the right time and he was.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Fri May 31, 2013 3:55 pm

headh wrote:http://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-bruins-preview-systems-breakdown/

:thumb: Thanks. That's a pretty informative breakdown.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ScottishPenguin on Fri May 31, 2013 9:26 pm

topshelf66 wrote:The $7 million we are spending on the our goaltending is a great bargain. Ride it through next season. You cannot give up on Fleury at 28.

Is it a bargain? We're definitely getting our money's worth with Vokoun, but Fleury isn't worth close to 5.

Fleury was good in the 08 run. He was...adequate in 09, and since then he's been consistently terrible. I think five years is long enough. Maybe he will eventually mature into a top goalie, I hope he does, but this isn't the place to do it. For how many more years is this team going to be a serious contender before we have to start over? How many of those years do you want to gamble on Fleury?

There are other arguments, of course. For one thing, we have to make savings somewhere. For this team, the optimal goaltending solution might well be a couple of Vokoun calibre goalies getting paid 4-5 million total. Chances are that when the playoffs come around at least one of them will be in sufficiently good form to let our offense win games, and the cap we save can go into resigning some of the dozen or so players we'd all hate to lose. You also have to consider his trade value, which is going to decrease the older he gets and the more bad playoff experiences he has.

The problem with Fleury is that he's such a likeable guy. We all desperately want him to fulfill his potential, and do so in a Penguins jersey. It's going to be one of those messy break ups, where you cling to some ridiculous notion that things get better for too long then feel dreadful for about six months after it happens. Eventually though, you realise it was for the best. There are plenty more goalies in the sea.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 pm

ScottishPenguin pretty well captures my thoughts on this too. I really like Fleury personally, and I would love for him to rebound and live up to his contract. However, I can't imagine what would have to happen for me to feel comfortable as a fan with Fleury in the net for a playoff game. At this point, he's been a big (but not exclusive) reason why the Pens went out early (or almost went out early, in the case of this year) in three of the past four years. You can't pay someone $5 mil/year for that.

I don't know if I'd go for a Vokoun/Hartzell combo next year, but maybe platooning two decent, veteran goalies like the Blackhawks are doing would work.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins