Vokoun will be the game changer.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 pm

nocera wrote:Pens Cup hopes begin and end with Fleury. Vokoun might get you a game, but definitely not to the championship.

This. Vokoun needs to get us this series. MAF starts game 1 of round 2. No sooner.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Fleury is done in Pittsburgh. 3 playoff failures in a row, each consequently worse. He is toast, I can't even see anyone willing to give up much for him in a trade. It is a shame, because he is a great guy. But, results...
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 08, 2013 2:03 pm

If TV wins the next 2 for the Pens, then you ride TV until he collapses. To me that's a kick to the groinal area to TV if he wins the next 2 games then sit him for a mentally fragile Fleury
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 pm

tfrizz wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:If Vokoun does play and wins, he starts game 6. The earliest I see Fleury getting another chance between the pipes would be Game 1 of Round 2, if we're lucky enough to get there.

Why would you? If Vokoun is giving you the opportunity to win, and DOES win, then why would you go back to the headcase?

If Vokoun plays and wins this series for us, you ride him until he falters, in a BIG way.

Because Fleury, if he gets his head on straight, is a better goalie than Vokoun at this stage of his career. Vokoun can likely get them through the second round, but in the end they're going to need Fleury to be on his game to win the cup. The best way to do that is to put him in no pressure situations - like game 1 of the second round - and with a very short leash.

If you look over their numbers this season, there are a two teams that Fleury put up significantly better numbers than Vokoun against (MTL, WSH), two that Vokoun put up significantly better numbers than Fleury against (BOS, NYI), and two that they both put up excellent numbers against (NYR, OTT). The only remaining playoff team is TOR who Fleury played every game against this season and put up poor numbers.

So if you come up against MTL or WSH, Fleury is the better choice; against BOS, NYI, or TOR, Vokoun is the better choice; and against NYR or OTT, it's a toss up so you go with Fleury on a short leash and have Vokoun in case he falters.

So going by your first line, you're basically willing to drop another game just to "see" if Fleury has his head on straight? And willing to bench a guy that has saved the series for you?

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Fleury has faltered for the last 4 years in the playoffs and if Vokoun is getting the job done, then you ride him. Nobody thought Niemi would be able to win a Cup, but he did. You certainly do NOT go back to a headcase if the backup has some in and done the job and saved the series for you.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 pm

SolidSnake wrote:If TV wins the next 2 for the Pens, then you ride TV until he collapses. To me that's a kick to the groinal area to TV if he wins the next 2 games then sit him for a mentally fragile Fleury

Bingo
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:11 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:
nocera wrote:Pens Cup hopes begin and end with Fleury. Vokoun might get you a game, but definitely not to the championship.

This. Vokoun needs to get us this series. MAF starts game 1 of round 2. No sooner.

Why? Vokoun slightly outperformed MAF in the regular season. If there were no names on the backs of the jersey, and you looked at their performance, Vokoun's was slightly better this season.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bathgate on Wed May 08, 2013 2:13 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:Fleury is done in Pittsburgh. 3 playoff failures in a row, each consequently worse. He is toast, I can't even see anyone willing to give up much for him in a trade. It is a shame, because he is a great guy. But, results...

It's gonna have to be a buyout. Fleury can then sign with the Flyers and Bryzgalov can sign with the Pens.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 pm

slappybrown wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:

Why? Vokoun slightly outperformed MAF in the regular season. If there were no names on the backs of the jersey, and you looked at their performance, Vokoun's was slightly better this season.

Fleury is a better goaltender than Vokoun at this stage of his career. Difference is Fleury can struggle if he gets in his own head. I can't remember specifics but didn't TV have a horrible run of games at some point during the season?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:16 pm

nocera wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:

Fleury is a better goaltender than Vokoun at this stage of his career. Difference is Fleury can struggle if he gets in his own head. I can't remember specifics but didn't TV have a horrible run of games at some point during the season?

Vokoun has played slightly better than him this season, .919 v. .916. Vokoun also faced over 4 shots more per 60 minutes compared to Fleury. The sample size isn't ideal -- 31 GP for MAF and 17 for TV -- but I'm finding difficult to automatically assume MAF is the better goalie right now.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 2:19 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:If Vokoun does play and wins, he starts game 6. The earliest I see Fleury getting another chance between the pipes would be Game 1 of Round 2, if we're lucky enough to get there.

Why would you? If Vokoun is giving you the opportunity to win, and DOES win, then why would you go back to the headcase?

If Vokoun plays and wins this series for us, you ride him until he falters, in a BIG way.

Because Fleury, if he gets his head on straight, is a better goalie than Vokoun at this stage of his career. Vokoun can likely get them through the second round, but in the end they're going to need Fleury to be on his game to win the cup. The best way to do that is to put him in no pressure situations - like game 1 of the second round - and with a very short leash.

If you look over their numbers this season, there are a two teams that Fleury put up significantly better numbers than Vokoun against (MTL, WSH), two that Vokoun put up significantly better numbers than Fleury against (BOS, NYI), and two that they both put up excellent numbers against (NYR, OTT). The only remaining playoff team is TOR who Fleury played every game against this season and put up poor numbers.

So if you come up against MTL or WSH, Fleury is the better choice; against BOS, NYI, or TOR, Vokoun is the better choice; and against NYR or OTT, it's a toss up so you go with Fleury on a short leash and have Vokoun in case he falters.

So going by your first line, you're basically willing to drop another game just to "see" if Fleury has his head on straight? And willing to bench a guy that has saved the series for you?

I guess we'll agree to disagree. Fleury has faltered for the last 4 years in the playoffs and if Vokoun is getting the job done, then you ride him. Nobody thought Niemi would be able to win a Cup, but he did. You certainly do NOT go back to a headcase if the backup has some in and done the job and saved the series for you.

The longer Fleury sits, the more unusable he's going to be if something happens to Vokoun or if he simply wears out. It's important to remember that Vokoun is 36 years old and there's an inherent risk to that; maybe he can't play because his hip flares up, for instance.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby nocera on Wed May 08, 2013 2:19 pm

slappybrown wrote:
nocera wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:

Vokoun has played slightly better than him this season, .919 v. .916. Vokoun also faced over 4 shots more per 60 minutes compared to Fleury. The sample size isn't ideal -- 31 GP for MAF and 17 for TV -- but I'm finding difficult to automatically assume MAF is the better goalie right now.

True. There's also a reason why TV has been a back up over the last few years and Fleury has been the clear starter.

Does anyone remember TV struggling a couple games in a row or am I making that up?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm

nocera wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
nocera wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:This. Vokoun needs to get us this series. MAF starts game 1 of round 2. No sooner.

True. There's also a reason why TV has been a back up over the last few years and Fleury has been the clear starter.

Does anyone remember TV struggling a couple games in a row or am I making that up?

He's had a couple of real rough stretches this season.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:21 pm

We are really grasping at straws now if the justification for giving Fluery another game in later rounds -- which by the way, presumes we win this series with Vokoun likely being a big reason why -- is that he might get "rusty" and maybe Vokoun's hip would flare up.

IF they are winning, who cares if Fleury is rusty? If Vokoun is healthy and can go and is winning, I don't see why a theoretical hip flare up is reason to put MAF back in.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm

nocera wrote:

Fleury's numbers since the Cup win are decidedly mediocre for the most part. His peer group in some seasons was Scott Clemmenson and Johan Hedberg. Also career backups. He's vacillated between average and slightly above average. Its just reality.

EDIT: And his being the clear starter has a lot more to do with (1) what we've invested in him; (2) the 2009 Cup win; and (3) the steady stream of below average backups behind him.
Last edited by slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 pm

slappybrown wrote:We are really grasping at straws now if the justification for giving Fluery another game in later rounds -- which by the way, presumes we win this series with Vokoun likely being a big reason why -- is that he might get "rusty" and maybe Vokoun's hip would flare up.

IF they are winning, who cares if Fleury is rusty? If Vokoun is healthy and can go and is winning, I don't see why a theoretical hip flare up is reason to put MAF back in.

My reasoning has already been stated in this thread. I'm a firm believer that while Vokoun may get us past NY, it's still Fleury's job and a confident Fleury gives the Pens the best chance for a Cup. Vokoun is a temporary solution.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:25 pm

nocera wrote:
slappybrown wrote:We are really grasping at straws now if the justification for giving Fluery another game in later rounds -- which by the way, presumes we win this series with Vokoun likely being a big reason why -- is that he might get "rusty" and maybe Vokoun's hip would flare up.

My reasoning has already been stated in this thread. I'm a firm believer that while Vokoun may get us past NY, it's still Fleury's job and a confident Fleury gives the Pens the best chance for a Cup. Vokoun is a temporary solution.

That's fine. This belief is not backed up by actual performance so far as I can tell. Its faith rather than reason IMO.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nocera on Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 pm

slappybrown wrote:
nocera wrote:

That's fine. This belief is not backed up by actual performance so far as I can tell. Its faith rather than reason IMO.

Well, unfortunately nobody can say what's going to happen in this series and (hopefully) beyond. That's just a gut feeling.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:31 pm

nocera wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
nocera wrote:

Well, unfortunately nobody can say what's going to happen in this series and (hopefully) beyond. That's just a gut feeling.

Absolutely. But playing the person who has performed better is usually a no-brainer to me.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Going back and forth between Vokoun and Fleury may not be a bad idea, ride the hot goalie. Worked pretty well for Carolina in 2006 with Gerber and Ward.
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nocera on Wed May 08, 2013 2:39 pm

slappybrown wrote:
nocera wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
nocera wrote:

Absolutely. But playing the person who has performed better is usually a no-brainer to me.

Yeah. I think we're all in agreement that Vokoun has to play right now.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:43 pm

PPenguinsFan66 wrote:Going back and forth between Vokoun and Fleury may not be a bad idea, ride the hot goalie. Worked pretty well for Carolina in 2006 with Gerber and Ward.

Or you get the Vancouver Canucks.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 2:44 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
PPenguinsFan66 wrote:Going back and forth between Vokoun and Fleury may not be a bad idea, ride the hot goalie. Worked pretty well for Carolina in 2006 with Gerber and Ward.

That is an entirely different problem
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm

thepittman wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

That is an entirely different problem

Not really.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Yea I mean, this is the time you use Vokoun. He is one of the highest paid backups in the league, if not used then you might as well used Thiessen in this shortened season or got another backup cheaper then TV then used some of the cap left that could of brought in another D-man besides Murray
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 2:57 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Luckily for the Pens, they're not tied to a ridiculous contract ala Loungo.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins