Poll: Fleury or Vokoun in Game 5?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Well?

MAF
8%
Vokoun
92%

Total votes : 142

Poll: Fleury or Vokoun in Game 5?

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Genuinely curious. I bet Vokoun wins this poll.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Poll: Fleury or Vokoun in Game 5?

Postby jprolley on Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 pm

i've defended fleury far too long. he's a garbage goaltender who needs to be sent packing along with malkin and bylsma after the pens lose this series
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 pm

I still think we win the series.

I voted for Vokoun.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 pm

Same person who should have started game 4,

Until fleury can learn where his posts are....
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 pm

i'd actually like to hear some strong defense of MAF at this point. i had his back after the flyer series, but at this point he is NOT getting it done in the playoffs and hasnt for 4 years now. different circumstances each time, but the results speak for themselves. i realize its not all his fault, but when is it ever ALL the goalies fault. he is not playing up to where he needs to for this team to win in the playoffs. and hasnt since 2009.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm

I vote the kid from Yale.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Do I think Vokoun is THAT much better? No. But this pathetic bunch of sissynannies needs a fire lit under their silver spoon posteriors.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:06 pm

sissynannies
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jprolley on Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Dave's_a_Killer wrote:I vote the kid from Yale.

i thought it was quinnipiac
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

I voted for MAF
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

HCDB's post game presser was just shown on MSG. He didn't even try to defend MAF
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby wondermoose on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

I don't care how poorly the Pens have played, the goals Fleury has let in are absolutely unacceptable. Vokoun or Bylsma puts his job on Fleury's back.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Do I think Vokoun is THAT much better? No. But this pathetic bunch of sissynannies needs a fire lit under their silver spoon posteriors.

:thumb:

The problem isn't so much that Fleury gave up 2 soft goals tonight, it's that he gave up 2 soft goals on top of 4 goals that he had no chance on. Take away Fleury's gaffs, and you still gave up 4 goals.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Might try Vokoun out. Pens have been ass for the last few games. Need to do something to try and spark them. Fleury hasn't helped matters by any stretch.
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 pm

canaan wrote:I voted for MAF
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 pm

tfrizz wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Do I think Vokoun is THAT much better? No. But this pathetic bunch of sissynannies needs a fire lit under their silver spoon posteriors.

The problem isn't so much that Fleury gave up 2 soft goals tonight, it's that he gave up 2 soft goals on top of 4 goals that he had no chance on. Take away Fleury's gaffs, and you still gave up 4 goals.

Not sure what he was doing on the second goal either to be honest. He got handcuffed and seemed to lose the flight of the puck even before the deflection. On the Strait goal I didn't see a good replay but he looked screened (or at least I hope, because it seemed to be a weak wrist shot from the blue line). The Murray goal is obviously not his fault, and on Tavares' goal, that's just 91 being himself.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 pm

PPenguinsFan66 wrote:Might try Vokoun out. Pens have been ass for the last few games. Need to do something to try and spark them. Fleury hasn't helped matters by any stretch.

I'm sticking with what I said before tonight's game: if Fleury struggles (he did), you go with Vokoun in game 5 then you go back to Fleury in game 6 regardless of the outcome. Send a message, but give him a chance to redeem himself.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Not sure what he was doing on the second goal either to be honest. He got handcuffed and seemed to lose the flight of the puck even before the deflection. On the Strait goal I didn't see a good replay but he looked screened (or at least I hope, because it seemed to be a weak wrist shot from the blue line). The Murray goal is obviously not his fault, and on Tavares' goal, that's just 91 being himself.

On the Strait goal he was screen by 4 players (2 Pens + 2 Islanders).

The second goal was a combination of two things: Tavares deflected the puck a few feet above the crease, and Fleury tripped over Orpik's foot. I thought Fleury just stumbled until TSN highlighted it in a replay.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tico Rick on Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 pm

tfrizz wrote:
PPenguinsFan66 wrote:Might try Vokoun out. Pens have been ass for the last few games. Need to do something to try and spark them. Fleury hasn't helped matters by any stretch.

I'm sticking with what I said before tonight's game: if Fleury struggles (he did), you go with Vokoun in game 5 then you go back to Fleury in game 6 regardless of the outcome. Send a message, but give him a chance to redeem himself.

I said that before Game 3 - if DB went with Vokoun in Game 3, MAF would come back and play lights out in Game 4 (unfortunately, DB didn't take my advice). But at this point, if Vokoun plays in Game 5 and wins, I don't think you can go back to MAF in Game 6 - there's just too much at stake.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby taz71 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 pm

i love fleury but he loses concentration. Okposo's goal made me so ticked off. stick was down but not on the ice because it was touching the net and near post was not protected.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

I said that before Game 3 - if DB went with Vokoun in Game 3, MAF would come back and play lights out in Game 4 (unfortunately, DB didn't take my advice). But at this point, if Vokoun plays in Game 5 and wins, I don't think you can go back to MAF in Game 6 - there's just too much at stake.

If Vokoun plays Game 5 and wins, then you're up 3-2 and you can give Fleury a shot at redemption without being in a critical (elimination) game. Worst case scenario, you go back to Vokoun for Game 7.

If Vokoun plays Game 5 and loses, then you're down 3-2 and you're grasping at straws regardless.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 pm

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

On the Strait goal he was screen by 4 players (2 Pens + 2 Islanders).

The second goal was a combination of two things: Tavares deflected the puck a few feet above the crease, and Fleury tripped over Orpik's foot. I thought Fleury just stumbled until TSN highlighted it in a replay.

Thanks. I couldn't tell what happened, and like you, thought he fell over because he was just fooled.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

If Vokoun plays Game 5 and wins, then you're up 3-2 and you can give Fleury a shot at redemption without being in a critical (elimination) game. Worst case scenario, you go back to Vokoun for Game 7.

If Vokoun plays Game 5 and loses, then you're down 3-2 and you're grasping at straws regardless.

There's no way you go back to Fleury in game 6 if Vokoun is in net for a game 5 win, absent it being a 6-5 type shootout where neither goalie distinguishes themselves.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 10:26 pm

taz71 wrote:i love fleury but he loses concentration. Okposo's goal made me so ticked off. stick was down but not on the ice because it was touching the net and near post was not protected.

Mike Peca hit the nail on the head. When the puck is in front of him, Fleury is calm, cool, completely focused, and as hard to beat as any goalie in the league. As soon as it gets within a few feet of the goal line, or behind the goal line, it's like Fleury just loses all awareness of his surroundings. It doesn't seem like something that could be attributed to a mental mistake, so is it possibly a vision problem?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Tue May 07, 2013 10:26 pm

This is why we got Vokoun, for when Fleury puts pucks into his own net o lose games.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins