Poll: Fleury or Vokoun in Game 5?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Well?

MAF
8%
Vokoun
92%

Total votes : 142

Re: Poll: Fleury or Vokoun in Game 5?

Postby Rocco on Tue May 07, 2013 10:27 pm

What's the point of having Vokoun if you won't use him in Game 5?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue May 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Rocco wrote:What's the point of having Vokoun if you won't use him in Game 5?

:thumb:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dave's_a_Killer on Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 pm

jprolley wrote:
Dave's_a_Killer wrote:I vote the kid from Yale.

i thought it was quinnipiac

Him too.
Dave's_a_Killer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm

If they go back to Fleury they're just accepting defeat.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm

#92!
Can't expect a team to win when 25% of the other team's shots on goal go in. Not all Fleury's fault but he could have been better. Too many turnovers and lackadaisical play/decision making along with HCDB's stubbornness.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Henry Hank wrote:If they go back to Fleury they're just accepting defeat.

:thumb:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue May 07, 2013 10:43 pm

You just can't go with the Flower at this point. I've given him the benefit of the doubt because he gets hung out to dry but he's been too awful for this to continue. You have to change it up.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Rocco wrote:What's the point of having Vokoun if you won't use him in Game 5?

If the theory was to give Fleury more rest throughout the season, couldn't Zatkoff have done that? Because Bylsma clearly isn't interested in actually playing him in the playoffs.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Watching that post game interview, Fleury seems to have as little confidence off the ice as he does on. Vokoun will start game 5.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FrozenNuts on Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 pm

DelPen wrote:This is why we got Vokoun, for when Fleury puts pucks into his own net o lose games.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Unfortunately we have to make the change.

Fleury just looked bad.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Admin on Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 pm

tfrizz wrote:I'm sticking with what I said before tonight's game: if Fleury struggles (he did), you go with Vokoun in game 5 then you go back to Fleury in game 6 regardless of the outcome. Send a message, but give him a chance to redeem himself.

I'm cool with this. Similar to the regular season when they had a schedule for starts.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JeanPronovost on Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Admin wrote:
tfrizz wrote:I'm sticking with what I said before tonight's game: if Fleury struggles (he did), you go with Vokoun in game 5 then you go back to Fleury in game 6 regardless of the outcome. Send a message, but give him a chance to redeem himself.

I'm cool with this. Similar to the regular season when they had a schedule for starts.

If Vokoun plays Game 5 and looks good, you cannot go back to Fleury for Game 6. But that's getting ahead of ourselves.
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 pm

my God is Thursday going to be interesting if its annonced early Vokoun starts. Lets just all remember we're on the same side. Lets just win.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 pm

If Vokoun starts and plays well, stay with him until he has a terrible game or the Pens win the Cup. MAF has been progressively worse in the postseason since 2010. Last year's meltdown against the Flyers prompted Shero to go and get another starting goaltender in case this situation would happen again.

If Vokoun would win game 5 and MAF would blow up again in game 6, they would be one bad bounce away from losing the series in a game 7. Put Vokoun in, win the next 2, and stick with him until his play warrants another goaltending change. If this team stays healthy, Vokoun is good enough to win a championship. It's obvious the players have no confidence in Fleury.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Vokoun all day. But you know Bylsma is going back to MAF. He's going to live or die with the horse that brought him here. I don't think he'll have the balls to bench him. Hope I'm wrong.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PhantomJB93 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:57 pm

"Stupidity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Vokoun.

Once upon a time Fleury knew how to follow up a poor performance in the playoffs with a spectacular one. That hasn't happened in 4 years.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Henry Hank wrote:If they go back to Fleury they're just accepting defeat.

Agreed. There are too many veterans on this team that want to win, and too much effort has gone into the past two seasons to have them come to an end because of terrible play in net. Not that the Pens defense is setting the world on fire, but the entire team appears to have shaky confidence with the way Fleury is playing. It's humiliating to see him melting down like this. But this isn't a team with one starting goaltender and a shoddy backup. This is a team, unlike last season, with two starting goaltenders. It's time for option number two.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 12:02 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:"Stupidity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Vokoun.

Once upon a time Fleury knew how to follow up a poor performance in the playoffs with a spectacular one. That hasn't happened in 4 years.

Or he'll show up, silence the critics for a game and then go to crap. In 2010 he was great in Game 5 against Montreal and then back to allowing goals on the first shot he saw the last two games. Last year he was great in Game 5 and a disaster in Game 6. It's roulette with him at this point.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:06 am

farnham16 wrote:Vokoun all day. But you know Bylsma is going back to MAF. He's going to live or die with the horse that brought him here. I don't think he'll have the balls to bench him. Hope I'm wrong.

This time I do think Bylsma will go with Vokoun. It was apparent tonight that the Pens will not win ANY playoff series with the way Fleury has played the past 3 games. Vokoun is not the best goaltender on the planet, but like a veteran pitcher in baseball, he gives you a chance to win every game.

RIght now, Fleury is so bad that he gives his team no chance to win. In the past three games, he's allowed two goals that were not even shots on goal until he put them in his own net. That Okposo goal tonight was the worst goal I've ever seen allowed in a professional hockey game since Vesa Toskala allowed that 190 foot goal a few seasons ago.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 am

Rocco wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:"Stupidity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Vokoun.

Or he'll show up, silence the critics for a game and then go to crap. In 2010 he was great in Game 5 against Montreal and then back to allowing goals on the first shot he saw the last two games. Last year he was great in Game 5 and a disaster in Game 6. It's roulette with him at this point.

It's always been roulette with him. You don't know what you're going to get from one game to the next, more-so in the playoffs than the regular season.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 am

There's no room for pleasantries at this point: if you win, you play.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby luv66 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 am

PPenguinsFan66 wrote:Might try Vokoun out. Pens have been ass for the last few games. Need to do something to try and spark them. Fleury hasn't helped matters by any stretch.

Pretty much how I feel. Maybe they still lose but you've got to try something. Didn't they seem to play tighter D in front of TV earlier in the season? Hell, I 'm ready to try anything. Anyone know any voodoo?

Surely DB can't be so arrogant or dumb as to start MAF again? I'm not bashing MAF, I think if it's not a complete **** fest in front of him maybe he doesn't get rattled but again I don't want my starting goalie getting rattled regardless.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:30 am

As I said in the GTD if MAF starts and wins and they win the series I think he and the team will get a new sense of confidence and tear ti up. However, you have to try to win round 1 before you win round 4/the Cup.
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe on Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 am

I've always defended MAF but enough is enough. He is not the goalie that helped the pens win the cup in 2009. You can't give up bad goals in the playoffs. It sinks the morale of the whole team. The pens have to start vokoun in game 5 and the rest of this series.
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins