Can't blame the players if "system" multiplies errors

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Can't blame the players if "system" multiplies errors

Postby bse on Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 am

We all know that Fleury hasn't been eh.. stellar. Far from it.

Still the reality is that our roster is far superior to the Islanders. That's a fact - and that includes the goaltenders.
But, watching the game last night, I couldn't but wonder what the coaching staff is doing.

While some could argue that our D backs a little bit too much in our zone, that's not the main problem. The main problem is our so called system. It's something I hadn't seen since some sub par teams I used to coach against in junior A/AA/AAA and we basically did the same as the Isles, clog up the neutral zone, and try to play it to the open ice between their D and F, gain speed and have a 2, 3 or 4 guys on their one or two players

That's the problem. No defense in the history of the NHL is able to sustain such pressure in a seven game setting. You have to have team defense, and that doesn't include players standing at the opposition blue line, looking like bug-eyed fat walruses

First of all, you should always have preferably at least four players between your goal and the puck, when opposition controls it. Great teams have all five. That makes it really hard for the opposition. Right now, the Penguins have one or two. The defencemen. Who are easy to blame after Fleury picks up another octopus off the net.

What happens right now is that Bylsma and co. push forwards near the opposition blueline - regardless of what the Islanders do. Our D carries puck up the ice, near our blue line, often stand still at the blueline - worst place ever to lose it, and tries to find an open passing lane, for a long, difficult pass. There is no puck support between face off dots on our zone and the red line. That's the problem. That's a pathetic way of coaching. Unbelievably dumb. There should be numerous options to make a safe pass, however short that may be. Right now, there's none - maybe a D to D, but that doesn't solve anything, since the situation doesn't exactly change on the forwards' part - only slows it.

What happens is that there's surplus of open ice at center - an excellent habitat for speedy Isles. The gap between our D and F grows to contain almost all of neutral zone - something that doesn't happen at level A in junior. Why are the Penguins doing it? We could blame the players for all the mistakes they have made, but the real problem is that the "system" puts them into difficult situations where errors, especially when forced, are likely to occur. How can a defenceman get the puck to the forwards - and for the forwards to recover, if they lose it? Doesn't happen.

The problem isn't the defense - or the forwards for that matter. It's the cooperation between them. There's none. You can't defend by only backchecking after opposition has already gained the neutral zone and is coming at you full speed. What happened to the basics of hockey? Puck support? Gap control?

Sorry, but the biggest blame rests on Bylsma's wobbly shoulders. He has no business in this series. It's really worrisome that they keep saying that they have to get "back to their game", like Neal said yesterday. Their "game" has been exposed. They need to change it. There's no going back to it as it doesn't work. If they still haven't figured that out, we are setting for a big failure. A big, big failure.

Fortunately I believe that a raw talent will turn this in our favor, but our coaching staff sure seems pretty inferior by NHL standards.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Can't blame the players if "system" multiplies errors

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 08, 2013 6:09 am

Pretty much the problem in a nutshell,
that and a complete inability to get the puck out of their own end, even when they have an easy out. I think I watched 10-15 times when the penguin with the puck tried to move it "through" an islander either one waiting on the wall, or one standing right in front of them. Pucks don't go through people.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Wed May 08, 2013 6:30 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:Pretty much the problem in a nutshell,
that and a complete inability to get the puck out of their own end, even when they have an easy out. I think I watched 10-15 times when the penguin with the puck tried to move it "through" an islander either one waiting on the wall, or one standing right in front of them. Pucks don't go through people.

You can't fix stupid, and Geno is an extremely stupid hockey player.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 am

Either the team is doing what he wants or aren't listening a all. Either case that's bad.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 am

I don't buy this whole "bad matchup" bit either. The Isles are ok but nothing special. The Pens are just playing terrible. What's a good matchup for them right now? The Houston Aeros, the Hershey Bears, Hamilton Bulldogs? Sorry, this team is not playing like an NHL caliber club right now.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 7:33 am

The islanders have probably the 2nd worse defense and goaltending in the playoffs aside from us. We've been lucky to face a team that's let us keep things close with their own terrible play in their own end. Doesn't sound like a bad matchup.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 am

pens2005 wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:Pretty much the problem in a nutshell,

You can't fix stupid, and Geno is an extremely stupid hockey player.

Geno and Letang have become progressively dumber since Bylsma took over.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 am

shmenguin wrote:The islanders have probably the 2nd worse defense and goaltending in the playoffs aside from us. We've been lucky to face a team that's let us keep things close with their own terrible play in their own end. Doesn't sound like a bad matchup.

If the Pens would switch goaltenders and go with a 1-2-2, they should be able to win two out of three games, unless I'm missing something. I just don't get why they won't make these adjustments.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 am

shmenguin wrote:The islanders have probably the 2nd worse defense and goaltending in the playoffs aside from us. We've been lucky to face a team that's let us keep things close with their own terrible play in their own end. Doesn't sound like a bad matchup.

How do we go from dominating a team 5-0 and their best player gets ZERO shots on net to this garbage? The isles are in no way, shape or form a better team. The underachievement displayed right now is very disturbing and sickening.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby johnnews on Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 am

It is maddening to watch Letang continually turn the puck over with stupid or whiffed passing attempts. Geno, same thing. And the ridiculous "Geno retaliation" penalties negate the positives he brings to the ice. Grow the F up and skate away. Get enough PP's and this series is over.
johnnews

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 am

bh wrote:I don't buy this whole "bad matchup" bit either. The Isles are ok but nothing special. The Pens are just playing terrible. What's a good matchup for them right now? The Houston Aeros, the Hershey Bears, Hamilton Bulldogs? Sorry, this team is not playing like an NHL caliber club right now.

Eh...the Bears are usually pretty good. I think the Aeros dropped off after the NHL season started though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 am

johnnews wrote:It is maddening to watch Letang continually turn the puck over with stupid or whiffed passing attempts. Geno, same thing. And the ridiculous "Geno retaliation" penalties negate the positives he brings to the ice. Grow the F up and skate away. Get enough PP's and this series is over.

That "retaliation" was on a perfectly fine hit last night. Not that there would be an excuse if it were a dirty hit. Then he lucked out and the ref gave out a questionable embellishment call.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby johnnews on Wed May 08, 2013 8:24 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
johnnews wrote:It is maddening to watch Letang continually turn the puck over with stupid or whiffed passing attempts. Geno, same thing. And the ridiculous "Geno retaliation" penalties negate the positives he brings to the ice. Grow the F up and skate away. Get enough PP's and this series is over.

That "retaliation" was on a perfectly fine hit last night. Not that there would be an excuse if it were a dirty hit. Then he lucked out and the ref gave out a questionable embellishment call.

Exactly, and it happens all the time. You'd think he'd figure out he might not get run as much if teams knew he wouldn't take a moronic penalty in return.
johnnews

Postby pfim on Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 am

I don't think there was anything questionable about the embellishment call, Malkin was still lucky he got it to even it up.

That and the 6th goal when Letang just blatantly hooked someone in the neutral zone instead of skating back pretty much sums up the effort in this series for the Pens. If two of your top 3 players don't want to give the effort, forget it.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 am

OP hit the nail on the head. When literally every single forward or defensemen with the puck deep in their defensive zone has at least 1 terrible turnover, that is on the breakout system, i.e. the hopefully former head coach Dan Bylsma. Compound that with beer league goals being let up, the Isles don't really need to work hard for their goals. They can concentrate on disrupting our breakout, and play conservatively enough so that they don't get caught deep in our zone. It is head coach and goaltending, but at least we can hopefully fix the goaltending immediately. Not like last year when there was no legit second option.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins