Bylsma Hockey

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bylsma Hockey

Postby Guinness on Wed May 08, 2013 7:33 am

bh wrote:Yeah, DB needs this series or he's gone. No excuse here. I understand the Fleury hate now. I'm pissed he's giving up these aweful goals as well, but even a goaltender change doesn't solve the dominating zone time by the Isles, the seemingly overwhelming speed, the high quality scoring oppotunities, or the dumb penalties, the dumb turnovers, and the terrible breakout.

We have so many issues right now, it's almost inconcievable that this is the same team that we saw playing a few weeks ago.

Agreed on all points, although I would say that Bylsma needs a helluva lot more than this series. I'm not yet of a mind that this series is a done deal at 2-2, even though they've played like utter crap for the most part over the past 3 games, but the 2nd round isn't enough for this roster. A good run in the ECF is a bare minimum, in my book, to keep the axe from swinging freely. Honestly if I were Shero, even that would give me reason to give it a good hard think.

I'm not one to be too hard on anyone, but I'm with Gaucho - there is absolutely no reason for this team to look so bad against the Islanders. It's not so much being even after 4, but the way they're even that is the cause for concern.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 am

shafnutz05 wrote:^^^I completely agree. Resigning Malkin should NOT be a sure thing at this point. Especially so for Letang, MAF, etc.

Depending on how the rest of the playoffs go, I'm very open to this, sadly...

This series really has me fully questioning Fleury. The sad thing is, franchise goalies aren't exactly a dime a dozen.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 7:45 am

Guinness wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:^^^I completely agree. Resigning Malkin should NOT be a sure thing at this point. Especially so for Letang, MAF, etc.

This series really has me fully questioning Fleury. The sad thing is, franchise goalies aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Franchise goalies are a myth. Quick, Fleury, Ward, Giguere and other young guys win a Cup and then possibly flounder. Then you have vets like Thomas, Osgood, Khabibulin and Niemi.

The Best goaltender ever hasn't won a cup since 2003.

Hawks won a cup behind Niemi and Huet, both really not that great and not what you think in terms of franchise goalies.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 08, 2013 7:54 am

DelPen wrote:Actually, I kind of liked the team that was playing after the deadline until Malkin, Letang and Neal came back.

If your point is that the Pens would be better off without them, I'm going to have to disagree.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:09 am

If the optional practice thing is true, I'm ready to fire him this morning.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 67pens on Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 am

This isn't a drive by post, even though my post count would indicate otherwise - but I do have an honest question: why, for the last several years, do we keep hearing "this is a bad match up for the Pens"? Philly, Tampa, now its the Isles. I've been a fan of the sport for 40 years or so, and I don't ever remember hearing the "bad match up" excuse for any other team as frequently as I have heard it for the post Cup Pens. Anyone have any insight?
67pens

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 am

Its a bad matchup because they have to keep their heads on for a 7 game series. This team would be great in one of the wild card playoff games in the MLB.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am

Any halfway competent hockey team seems to be a bad matchup for the Pens. Maybe they could try tennis instead?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am

67pens wrote:This isn't a drive by post, even though my post count would indicate otherwise - but I do have an honest question: why, for the last several years, do we keep hearing "this is a bad match up for the Pens"? Philly, Tampa, now its the Isles. I've been a fan of the sport for 40 years or so, and I don't ever remember hearing the "bad match up" excuse for any other team as frequently as I have heard it for the post Cup Pens. Anyone have any insight?

I didn't hear bad match up before this series from anyone. I just heard that there is no way the Pens would lose as long as Fleury played at least average. That is turning out to be true lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 9:23 am

67pens wrote:This isn't a drive by post, even though my post count would indicate otherwise - but I do have an honest question: why, for the last several years, do we keep hearing "this is a bad match up for the Pens"? Philly, Tampa, now its the Isles. I've been a fan of the sport for 40 years or so, and I don't ever remember hearing the "bad match up" excuse for any other team as frequently as I have heard it for the post Cup Pens. Anyone have any insight?

Because it's a handy excuse. Last year was a bad matchup. This year? The Pens were 4-1 against the Isles. They were the better team. And they're finally healthy. This is a choke and a disaster.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed May 08, 2013 9:24 am

Because the Penguins only play one way and do not make adjustments. When you are unwilling to adjust, it is easy to figure out your flaws and shortcomings because they will be consistently present. I did not think the Flyers were a bad match up for the Pens, but I do think the Isles are a tough one. Thankfully, Montreal and Toronto -- the two fastest teams remaining in the East -- are likely to lose. Ottawa does not play with much speed and would be a very good match up for the Pens, unless of course MacLean is an actual coach (given their position up 3-1 against the #2 with everything they've faced this year, I'm thinking he is) and he makes adjustments to the Sens game if they meet the Pens.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am

chad2ss wrote:This was perfectly said, and I could not agree more... OTHER than, I do believe the Isles are one of a handful of teams who recognize his arrogance to the system, and could alter their game to combat it. Well done.

Uncanny choice of words. Apparently Steigy was quoted on the radio yesterday as saying Bylsma employs an "arrogant style of coaching". Apparently HCDB believes that when a team makes adjustments to his system, the team just needs to play his system better rather than making counter-adjustments.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:30 am

Malkamaniac wrote:IF they lose the series, only Crosby and Shero should be safe.

:thumb:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 am

no name wrote:After 3 years of playoff disapointment what else is there to blame but "Bylsma Hockey" We win games in the regular season but come playoffs we get out played. The regular season you really can't prepare for all your oppeents you just play your style, in the playoffs a 7 game series you can prepare find weaknesses and adjust to their style. Failure to adjust... Yeah all these coaches put together game plans to stop "Bylsma Hockey" but we continue to put play the same way. Playing into the hands of our oppenents.

To put this in terms everyone can relate to:

Bylsma + Penguins = Boudreau + Capitals
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve Dave on Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 am

I believe the Pens can win this series. If they do not, HCDB has to go! What do you guys think of Guy Boucher as a possible replacemt? Didn't he coach Crosby in juniors?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 am

Guinness wrote:

And the free agent market is very weak unless you want to overpay for Mike Smith, who has said he's looking for a big pay day this summer, or Ray Emery. The only other options are guys in the mid- or late-30s with a lot of injury trouble, like Backstrom.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 am

I'm pretty sure Crosby and Malkin are completely safe. I think everyone else has limited no trade/movement clauses if they have anything.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 am

tfrizz wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:IF they lose the series, only Crosby and Shero should be safe.

:thumb:

Crosby should undoubtedly be safe, but, to be perfectly honest, he is probably deserving of some harsh criticism. Three years (take TB out of it) of consecutive failure with him as captain where the team shows a lack of patience, composure, and discipline. At some point, that has to be a reflection upon his leadership capabilities.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:34 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

I didn't hear bad match up before this series from anyone. I just heard that there is no way the Pens would lose as long as Fleury played at least average. That is turning out to be true lol.

It's really only a bad match-up for Fleury. His numbers against the Islanders the past few seasons have been very poor. To put it in perspective... his numbers in this series are MUCH better than his last 4 regular season games against the Islanders.

In his last 4 regular season games against the Islanders, Fleury is 1-3-0 with a 4.54 GAA and 0.837 sv%. In his 4 games this series, he's 2-2 with a 3.60 GAA and .891 sv%.
Last edited by tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am

tfrizz wrote:
chad2ss wrote:This was perfectly said, and I could not agree more... OTHER than, I do believe the Isles are one of a handful of teams who recognize his arrogance to the system, and could alter their game to combat it. Well done.

Uncanny choice of words. Apparently Steigy was quoted on the radio yesterday as saying Bylsma employs an "arrogant style of coaching". Apparently HCDB believes that when a team makes adjustments to his system, the team just needs to play his system better rather than making counter-adjustments.

Capuano said the same (in not the same words). He said the Pens may make small adjustments, but in the end they are going to play the same style. The opposing coach basically described the style in an interview, and you sit there and continue to not change it.

DB should have been fired two years ago. Instead we now have to suffer through another frustrating playoff appearance.

I still think the Pens can win this series just on overwhelming talent, but that only gets us to the 2nd round. I hope the people who wanted to shove it in the "Fire DB" crowd's face during the regular season are happy now. You like like a bunch of Cap fan clowns.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 9:37 am

Steve Dave wrote:I believe the Pens can win this series. If they do not, HCDB has to go! What do you guys think of Guy Boucher as a possible replacemt? Didn't he coach Crosby in juniors?

You think DB is safe if he squeaks this out and loses next round? You, sir, are a much more forgiving man than me.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 9:38 am

Worst part is you're sitting there getting chastised for wanting him gone because his team repeatedly fails in the playoffs and then you find out that you're right and can't even enjoy it. I'm not really one to throw things in people's faces, but I do enjoy being right and stupid Penguins are preventing me from enjoying it. :pop: failblog.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 67pens on Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

I agree, but we are hearing the excuse now. I guess my point in the post was that I never heard the "bad match up" used when the Islanders or Oilers were on their rolls to the Cup years ago, or the first Pens Cup teams. If you have the talent, as I believe the Pens currently have, no team should be a "bad match up" if needed adjustments are made.

The Islanders have a lot of speed, but I'm sure there is a trap designed to minimize that speed and clog the neutral zone (NJ?). The inflexibility and adamant unwillingness to adapt both in game and in series is horribly frustrating because it is so painfully unnecessary, imo.
67pens

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 9:41 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Worst part is you're sitting there getting chastised for wanting him gone because his team repeatedly fails in the playoffs and then you find out that you're right and can't even enjoy it. I'm not really one to throw things in people's faces, but I do enjoy being right and stupid Penguins are preventing me from enjoying it. :pop: failblog.

I don't like that it's true, but it is.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 am

67pens wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:

I agree, but we are hearing the excuse now. I guess my point in the post was that I never heard the "bad match up" used when the Islanders or Oilers were on their rolls to the Cup years ago, or the first Pens Cup teams. If you have the talent, as I believe the Pens currently have, no team should be a "bad match up" if needed adjustments are made.

The Islanders have a lot of speed, but I'm sure there is a trap designed to minimize that speed and clog the neutral zone (NJ?). The inflexibility and adamant unwillingness to adapt both in game and in series is horribly frustrating because it is so painfully unnecessary, imo.

Going into the series or after Game 1, the words "bad match up" weren't even whispered. It suddenly became bad when the Pens lost game 2 and looked like they did last year. I'm pretty sure everyone was licking their chops saying "goooood, goooood" when the last day of the regular season ended and we had the Islanders. If someone said then that it's a bad match up, sorry to you. But I certainly didn't see it mentioned in every other breath.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins