Bylsma Hockey

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bylsma Hockey

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 10:47 am

lol going into the play-offs, the Pens were already champions. Surely they didn't believe the hype, and surely the coach wasn't there to remind them to not get sucked into it. Right? Right?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 08, 2013 10:48 am

The one thing I have noticed this series, that outside of the turnovers, the D is actually playing very well. There is very little chaos in front of the net and the Pens are forcing the Isles to the outside (where they are still scoring from lol). Literally the entire problem with this team right now is refusing to adjust the breakout (coaching), and Fleury.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 67pens on Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 am

bhaw wrote:Going into the series or after Game 1, the words "bad match up" weren't even whispered. It suddenly became bad when the Pens lost game 2 and looked like they did last year. I'm pretty sure everyone was licking their chops saying "goooood, goooood" when the last day of the regular season ended and we had the Islanders. If someone said then that it's a bad match up, sorry to you. But I certainly didn't see it mentioned in every other breath.

Agreed. Only recently have I seen/heard folks mentioning the Isles speed presenting a problem for the Pens, leading to other comments of a match up type problem for the Pens. I would certainly count myself among those that thought the Isles were a favorable opponent for the Pens. My question and point being, great teams with great talents make adjustments so that the excuse "bad match up" isn't uttered.
67pens

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 10:54 am

67pens wrote:
bhaw wrote:Going into the series or after Game 1, the words "bad match up" weren't even whispered. It suddenly became bad when the Pens lost game 2 and looked like they did last year. I'm pretty sure everyone was licking their chops saying "goooood, goooood" when the last day of the regular season ended and we had the Islanders. If someone said then that it's a bad match up, sorry to you. But I certainly didn't see it mentioned in every other breath.

Agreed. Only recently have I seen/heard folks mentioning the Isles speed presenting a problem for the Pens, leading to other comments of a match up type problem for the Pens. I would certainly count myself among those that thought the Isles were a favorable opponent for the Pens. My question and point being, great teams with great talents make adjustments so that the excuse "bad match up" isn't uttered.

Well, to be fair, I haven't heard any Pens say that. It's just fans and message board posters. We say lots of stupid stuff :)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Wed May 08, 2013 10:57 am

This team has played better without Crosby in the lineup. They even won the cup without Sid playing. It's when Sid comes back that they go to pieces...

Just saying, throwing Malkin under the bus and absolving Sid is foolish.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 10:59 am

Kraftster wrote:Crosby should undoubtedly be safe, but, to be perfectly honest, he is probably deserving of some harsh criticism. Three years (take TB out of it) of consecutive failure with him as captain where the team shows a lack of patience, composure, and discipline. At some point, that has to be a reflection upon his leadership capabilities.

it reflects poorly on anyone who is an alleged leader of this team. sid takes that penalty in game 7 against MTL, totally loses his mind last year and now fiddles while rome burns. orpik consistently points fingers at everyone but himself. adams is supposed to be some sort of leader, but where's the evidence of that? malkin is a total spot-picker, leadership wise.

and now you have the new guys who are probably showing too much reverence to the best player in the league, when really they should be slapping people in the face and screaming, "wake up!".
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 am

shmenguin wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Crosby should undoubtedly be safe, but, to be perfectly honest, he is probably deserving of some harsh criticism. Three years (take TB out of it) of consecutive failure with him as captain where the team shows a lack of patience, composure, and discipline. At some point, that has to be a reflection upon his leadership capabilities.

it reflects poorly on anyone who is an alleged leader of this team. sid takes that penalty in game 7 against MTL, totally loses his mind last year and now fiddles while rome burns. orpik consistently points fingers at everyone but himself. adams is supposed to be some sort of leader, but where's the evidence of that? malkin is a total spot-picker, leadership wise.

and now you have the new guys who are probably showing too much reverence to the best player in the league, when really they should be slapping people in the face and screaming, "wake up!".

Agreed - no alleged leader should be spared. As the buck stops with the head coach when there are coaching problems, so to should the buck stop with the captain when there are leadership problems, which there clearly are at this point. Malkin has lost his mind. Letang is a petulant child. No (apparent) accountability of any sort from coaches or leaders.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 67pens on Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am

bhaw wrote:
67pens wrote:

Well, to be fair, I haven't heard any Pens say that. It's just fans and message board posters. We say lots of stupid stuff :)

We do say stupid stuff, at least I know I do. This is all fan and some media reactions/responses to the train wreck we are witnessing currently. I guess it helps us deal with the frustrations we are facing in this series.
67pens

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

was it said by bylsma or just some fan that there's this thing in the pens system that dictates you can only have the puck in your own zone for X seconds?

if that's a real thing, then the islanders are in on it, and in retrospect, it seems like one of the dumbest mandates ever given to a group of defensemen
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:The one thing I have noticed this series, that outside of the turnovers, the D is actually playing very well. There is very little chaos in front of the net and the Pens are forcing the Isles to the outside (where they are still scoring from lol). Literally the entire problem with this team right now is refusing to adjust the breakout (coaching), and Fleury.

I disagree.
Deflections, getting tons of time to bang home rebounds, defenseman not paying attention as shots bounce off their legs into the net, and finally a clear problem with simply getting the puck out of our own zone.

I think there are a ton of problems in front of the net.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the riddler on Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

I thought Bylsma should have been let go after last playoffs. He just hasn't seemed to be able to get them to play at a Stanley Cup level in the playoffs the last 4 seasons. It's disappointing, I don't think Bylsma is a bad coach, but this isn't acceptable for this organization to continue to have these playoff meltdowns. I remember reading an article saying that he would be safe even if they were swept in the first round. I just don't see how you can not make a coaching change if they lose. The personnel may never be better for him, he's got to find a way to get this team out of this round. I'm not excusing any of the players either because no one has been perfect. Too many turnovers, especially by the best players on the team.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

yeah, the turnovers aren't the only problem with the D. they really aren't doing anything right
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 am

bhaw wrote: We say lots of stupid stuff :)

I HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU GUYS THIS ALL SEASON!!!!
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 am

shmenguin wrote:yeah, the turnovers aren't the only problem with the D. they really aren't doing anything right

Clearly they're not getting to their game.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am

bhaw wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:I believe the Pens can win this series. If they do not, HCDB has to go! What do you guys think of Guy Boucher as a possible replacemt? Didn't he coach Crosby in juniors?

You think DB is safe if he squeaks this out and loses next round? You, sir, are a much more forgiving man than me.

Sorry, I didn't mean he deserves to stay if he loses in the 2nd rd. My main thought was if he does lose his job, what do you think of Boucher as a replacement?
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 am

Gaucho wrote:I'm fed up with everyone and everything, so I'm going to blame everyone and everything.

There is no excuse for this group for being dominated by any team in three straight games. None.

:fist:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 am

Steve Dave wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Steve Dave wrote:I believe the Pens can win this series. If they do not, HCDB has to go! What do you guys think of Guy Boucher as a possible replacemt? Didn't he coach Crosby in juniors?

You think DB is safe if he squeaks this out and loses next round? You, sir, are a much more forgiving man than me.

Sorry, I didn't mean he deserves to stay if he loses in the 2nd rd. My main thought was if he does lose his job, what do you think of Boucher as a replacement?
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby offsides on Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:If the optional practice thing is true, I'm ready to fire him this morning.

According to the Fan, it is true, and I will have to agree with you. Seems like the country club is alive and well. After the last three performances, they should have a long, tough mandatory practice. Something or someone has to wake this team up.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm

offsides wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:If the optional practice thing is true, I'm ready to fire him this morning.

According to the Fan, it is true, and I will have to agree with you. Seems like the country club is alive and well. After the last three performances, they should have a long, tough mandatory practice. Something or someone has to wake this team up.

He's not going anywhere. He could coach pantsless and won't be fired. They're terrified of the unknown.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed May 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Apparently the optional skate has been cancelled. Can't wait to see this listless bunch get outplayed again by a hungrier but far inferior Islanders team tomorrow. Player's coach Dan is going to go down coddling these babies, it appears.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 pm

Practice isn't going to fix terrible turnovers.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 pm

It certainly couldn't hurt. There is no accountability on this team from the coach to the players. None.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Practice isn't going to fix terrible turnovers.

That's good because now practice is totally cancelled.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

So you think they're just sending the players home?

Use your heads, people. They're going to be watching tons of video. That may be the best strategy.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Practice isn't going to fix terrible turnovers.

The old mantra of "you practice how you play" is echoing through my head right now. If you practice sloppy - or not at all, as it seems - you're not going to fix mistakes you make in game.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins