Bylsma Hockey

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Bylsma Hockey

Postby GDR on Wed May 08, 2013 11:16 am

Country club with the Penguins = playing at the country club after 1 round.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

Practice isn't going to make Kris Letang less of a headcase.

Showing him video of him being a **** up might.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

MRandall25 wrote:So you think they're just sending the players home?

Use your heads, people. They're going to be watching tons of video. That may be the best strategy.

Three Stooges marathon? Or perhaps Bad News Bears.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

tfrizz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Practice isn't going to fix terrible turnovers.

The old mantra of "you practice how you play" is echoing through my head right now. If you practice sloppy - or not at all, as it seems - you're not going to fix mistakes you make in game.

If the players are being lazy at practice, then what's the point of having a practice?

Sit them down in the video room and grill the **** out of them and their terrible decisions.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 am

You defend bylsma no matter what I'll give you that.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 am

MRandall25 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Practice isn't going to fix terrible turnovers.

The old mantra of "you practice how you play" is echoing through my head right now. If you practice sloppy - or not at all, as it seems - you're not going to fix mistakes you make in game.

If the players are being lazy at practice, then what's the point of having a practice?

Sit them down in the video room and grill the **** out of them and their terrible decisions.

If the players are lazy at practice, then that is completely on the coaching staff. Part of their job is to keep these guys working hard.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:22 am

skullman80 wrote:You defend bylsma no matter what I'll give you that.

Because Bylsma isn't the one telling Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin to make idiotic decisions with the puck.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed May 08, 2013 11:25 am

When you don't have anyone to pass to because Blysma's system has guys covered way up ice, it's no wonder the 2 primary puck-carriers are turning the puck over.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guinness on Wed May 08, 2013 11:26 am

MRandall25 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:You defend bylsma no matter what I'll give you that.

Because Bylsma isn't the one telling Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin to make idiotic decisions with the puck.

He is the one apparently not holding them accountable, however.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am

pcm wrote:When you don't have anyone to pass to because Blysma's system has guys covered way up ice, it's no wonder the 2 primary puck-carriers are turning the puck over.

Malkin passed up an open man to try and force the puck cross ice through a defender.

There's been too many times where Malkin and Letang have passed up easy plays to try to make a fancy one and it ends up in the back of our net.

I'm sure Bylsma's system tells Letang to carry the puck and turn it over on the PK instead of dumping it in, right?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am

So if we can't blame Bylsma for anything, does that mean we can't credit him for anything and he's just there?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 am

Rocco wrote:So if we can't blame Bylsma for anything, does that mean we can't credit him for anything and he's just there?

People play the blame game all the time. Problem is, they don't give him credit for anything.

There's a clear difference between a systematic issue and a player decision issue. These turnovers are player decision issues.

But people tend to ignore that because it doesn't fit what they want.

I hope Jesse comes with a post about it, but I'm not holding my breath.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 am

Rocco wrote:So if we can't blame Bylsma for anything, does that mean we can't credit him for anything and he's just there?

SAF just retired from managing Man U. He's just waiting to take up the reigns once Bylsma is fired.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Wed May 08, 2013 11:32 am

LOL
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 11:33 am

MRandall25 wrote:

People play the blame game all the time. Problem is, they don't give him credit for anything.

There's a clear difference between a systematic issue and a player decision issue. These turnovers are player decision issues.

People gave him tons of credit when the Pens were winning games during the regular season despite losing key players.

A coach's job is to make the players better. Either Bylsma isn't fixing the problem or he can't fix the problem.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:34 am

MRandall25 wrote:

You can't honestly believe there is nothing wrong with his system and his lack of adjustments at this point can you? Its not all his fault but it certainly plays a large role in it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 am

SolidSnake wrote:

SAF just retired from managing Man U. He's just waiting to take up the reigns once Bylsma is fired.

I'd love to see the Pens randomly get 5 extra minutes to try to tie a game. Maybe Ferg would be sure that his favorite refs are in charge of Pens games at CEC.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:37 am

skullman80 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

You can't honestly believe there is nothing wrong with his system and his lack of adjustments at this point can you? Its not all his fault but it certainly plays a large role in it.

His "system" wasn't causing turnovers a month ago. How do you explain that?

And if you think he hasn't adjusted at all, I don't know what to tell you.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am

Its actually easy to explain. Teams weren't watching the system and making their own adjustments because they were one-off games being played. I've seen adjustments made for a few shifts at a time. I don't know if its him doing it or the players just deciding to change, but whatever it is, it doesn't stick for any length of time.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am

Rocco wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

I'd love to see the Pens randomly get 5 extra minutes to try to tie a game. Maybe Ferg would be sure that his favorite refs are in charge of Pens games at CEC.

Tonight's officials

Stephen Walkom
Howard Webb
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 am

So no one else noticed that the breakout changed and the defensive gaps changed last night?

Because it was completely different until people started making terrible decisions with the puck.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 11:43 am

SolidSnake wrote:
Rocco wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Tonight's officials

Stephen Walkom
Howard Webb

Webb would give the Pens a penalty shot when Crosby is tripped in his own zone. I love it.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Wed May 08, 2013 11:44 am

MRandall25 wrote:

If it is all the player's fault, what is your solution? Should we get rid of the players that make bad decisions or something else? I know, lets call off practice and watch videos, maybe even get them to play NHL 13.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am

offsides wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

If it is all the player's fault, what is your solution? Should we get rid of the players that make bad decisions or something else? I know, lets call off practice and watch videos, maybe even get them to play NHL 13.

How is practice going to change turnovers and bad decisions? Near impossible to simulate a game situation.

I'd say bench them, but you put the team at a huge disadvantage by benching Malkin and Letang, unless you only keep them off for a shift or 2.

Watching video is the only way to show them their mistakes and show them how to fix it. Practice can't do that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am

MRandall25 wrote:So no one else noticed that the breakout changed and the defensive gaps changed last night?

Because it was completely different until people started making terrible decisions with the puck.

Yeah, I noticed it, I'm pretty sure I sent something to Jesse or maybe someone else on twitter abotu it last night. Then it changed back. Actually that was exactly what I was referring to in my previous post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins