Iginla on LW

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Iginla on LW

Postby dhayer18 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:09 am

Now this is just one of our many issues at this point. But I dont understand why you have a 15 year vet playing a position that he has never played before. Then have people complain that he isnt doing anything. Why get an allstar and have him change positions ? doesnt make sense to me.
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Iginla on LW

Postby jamespensfan on Wed May 08, 2013 8:12 am

It is stupid that Ignila is being moved to a position he doesn't play, just to give Sid the linemates he wants. This is where coaching needs to come in. You can not placate the superstars on this team and must be willing to make adjustments.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 08, 2013 8:13 am

We have Iginla?
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed May 08, 2013 8:14 am

This is where DB offically lost me.

I cannot defend him any further (no matter how many other obvious problems exist with this team, that I'm not convinced would be magically fixed by a new coach).
This team is gutless and stupid right now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dhayer18 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 am

We all know that Kunitz-Geno-Neal play great together and right now we are wasting Iginla on that line. put him with Sid and Dupper. I mean something needs to happen
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 am

It would even be a better idea to have him with Morrow and Iginla and bring Bennett back in for LW with Malkin then have Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy on the 4th.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 am

Game 1: Dupuis Jokinen Iginla = Dupuis 2 goals and Iginla 2 assists (one of the goals with Adams at center). Not sure why Crosby couldn't just have replaced Jokinen and leave it at that. Kunitz Malkin Bennett until Neal returned...
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 am

It's not like Sid isn't going to produce with Iginla on his line.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dhayer18 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 am

Malkamaniac wrote:It's not like Sid isn't going to produce with Iginla on his line.

exactly and we all saw last year how good kunitz-malkin-neal line was
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Inkio on Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 am

This has been discussed to death. We all agree. Bylsma won't break up Kunitz-Sid-Duper. We're doomed to fail.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 am

Neal's goal was Iggy gaining zone, spinning around, making time, dish to Malkin, dish to Neal, goal.

Iggy is not the problem with Malkin's line...... Malkin is. Malkin is giving the puck away and is playing with injured shoulder.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 08, 2013 8:45 am

This is so frustrating. The lines are so easy to put together if you just realize a few things...

1) James Neal is most productive at Right Wing
2) Jerome Iginla is most productive at Right Wing
3) Chris Kunitz is most productive at Left Wing
4) Don't break up Neal & Malkin

From there, it becomes pretty easy to make up the top-2 lines.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

I don't think playing LW forces Iginla to constantly cough up the puck and skate around in the defensive zone like a chicken with his head cut off. There are basic tasks you expect from a guy like him that just aren't being accomplished.

He is a complimentary player, if he can't fill his role than that says much more about him than Bylsma, imo. And I'm certainly no fan of Bylsma.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

I really don't think this matters. People obsess over the lines too much. They aren't losing because the lines could be configured a little differently. Changing the lines isn't going to fix their breakout problems, it's not going to stop from getting pinned in their zone, it's not going to stop them from taking dumb penalties, it's not going to stop idiotic giveaways, it's not going to stop inexplicable soul sucking goals off Fleury's butt, it's not going to make this team play like they want to win.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 8:53 am

Henry Hank wrote:I really don't think this matters. People obsess over the lines too much. They aren't losing because the lines could be configured a little differently. Changing the lines isn't going to fix their breakout problems, it's not going to stop from getting pinned in their zone, it's not going to stop them from taking dumb penalties, it's not going to stop idiotic giveaways, it's not going to stop inexplicable soul sucking goals off Fleury's butt, it's not going to make this team play like they want to win.

Actually, playing guys in positions they are not comfortable with does effect breakouts. everything is reversed, your instincts drift you out of position and then everyone scrambles. The only players that can switch sides without screwing up are Dupuis and Bennett and maybe Cooke.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 am

Actually, playing guys in positions doesn't cause them to make mistakes they should have been done with around the time they reached their teens.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed May 08, 2013 9:06 am

Iginla on LW is beyond stupid. He doesn't play the north/south game while at that position needed to beat the Isles. It makes him a much lesser player and hurts the ability of the 2nd line to forecheck.

I don't get it.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dhayer18 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 am

Bioshock wrote:Iginla on LW is beyond stupid. He doesn't play the north/south game while at that position needed to beat the Isles. It makes him a much lesser player and hurts the ability of the 2nd line to forecheck.

I don't get it.

I dont think anyone does but DB wont make any adjustments " big shock"
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 09, 2013 6:30 am

Left is all right with Iginla
With Penguins right winger James Neal back from an ankle injury, Jarome Iginla played on the left side of a line with Neal and Malkin in Game 4.
Iginla, a right winger with Calgary, is feeling a lot more at home on the left side than he was when he arrived in a trade in late March. He admitted he was anxious in those early days.
"Left feels good now," Iginla said. "When I first got here, whatever position you put me at [I] wasn't feeling comfortable. You know, had lots going through my mind and pretty anxious, I guess, when I first got here. Maybe that's why I looked so uncomfortable on the left.
"Now, to be honest, when we get out of the zone, breaking out as a winger with the style we play it's just as easy to be on the left or the right as far as how we take passes and move out of the zone. I haven't found an issue."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2Sn3HeAHj
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dhayer18 on Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am

Gaucho wrote:Left is all right with Iginla
With Penguins right winger James Neal back from an ankle injury, Jarome Iginla played on the left side of a line with Neal and Malkin in Game 4.
Iginla, a right winger with Calgary, is feeling a lot more at home on the left side than he was when he arrived in a trade in late March. He admitted he was anxious in those early days.
"Left feels good now," Iginla said. "When I first got here, whatever position you put me at [I] wasn't feeling comfortable. You know, had lots going through my mind and pretty anxious, I guess, when I first got here. Maybe that's why I looked so uncomfortable on the left.
"Now, to be honest, when we get out of the zone, breaking out as a winger with the style we play it's just as easy to be on the left or the right as far as how we take passes and move out of the zone. I haven't found an issue."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2Sn3HeAHj

I just think that he would be of more use on Sid's right side is all
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DocEmrick on Thu May 09, 2013 10:32 am

DB lost me here, too. I'm not really shocked Iginla hasn't voiced concerns with DB, Iginla is too damn nice of a person to do so.
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 am

Shelly Anderson just tweeted that on Malkin's line - Iggy is working the right wing, Neal the left.

There's your adjustment, folks. :face:
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DocEmrick on Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am

Fire DB, I don't even care anymore. This is stupid. You have the top 6 that (this year) probably would have made both all-star teams.
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Inkio on Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 am

EDIT:
This move actually makes sense puck possession wise now that I think about it. In the defensive zone they will be able to get possession along the boards then when they get in the offensive zone they rotate to get in shooting position.
Last edited by Inkio on Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Thu May 09, 2013 10:44 am

DocEmrick wrote:Fire DB, I don't even care anymore. This is stupid. You have the top 6 that (this year) probably would have made both all-star teams.

He moved him to the RW so it's a start.

Now for someone to tell him he doesn't play well with that low IQ 71 guy.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Who should let him know?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins