As a hockey fan, is anyone else enjoying this first round?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

As a hockey fan, is anyone else enjoying this first round?

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 8:21 am

The ups and downs acrosss the league are crazy. This is one of the best playoff starts entertainment-wise I've seen in awhile. I'm glad the isles aren't just rolling over. It will make winning this series much more meaningful.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: As a hockey fan, is anyone else enjoying this first roun

Postby theANTIgenious on Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 am

Could not agree more.... Obviously as a Pens fan you wish they would roll through the East, but if they can win this series, it will be remembered as an exciting one!

And now a goaltender controversy with the franchise goalie too?? You can't make this stuff up. :pop:
theANTIgenious
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 am

Part of what made the Lemieux era cups great was the difficulty they overcame to win them. Rolling over the Northstars was great but not as satisfying or memorable as when they came back from a 3-1 game deficit against the Caps or the brutal series against the Rangers and Bruins.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 am

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 am

thepittman wrote:This is one of the best playoff starts entertainment-wise I've seen in awhile.

NPR...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daniel87 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:58 am

After 3 straight playoff series losses, I don't like being in a round 1 dogfight against an 8th seed. So no, I'm not enjoying it at all.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Wed May 08, 2013 9:03 am

:thumbdown:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 am

if we were playing good hockey and the series was tied, that would be one thing, but they are pretty far from playing good hockey. nothing enjoyable about watching any team with talent like this performing at 50% (is that too much?)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed May 08, 2013 9:06 am

They'll be plenty of time to enjoy the playoffs once the Penguins are out. It will be real fun to watch the Bruins dismantle the Islanders, and then sit back and think about what might have been.

The sick part is that Ottawa would have probably been the Pens second round opponent. This is not a speed team at all. This is a team they could probably handle.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:They'll be plenty of time to enjoy the playoffs once the Penguins are out. It will be real fun to watch the Bruins dismantle the Islanders, and then sit back and think about what might have been.

The sick part is that Ottawa would have probably been the Pens second round opponent. This is not a speed team at all. This is a team they could probably handle.

I'm only supposed to enjoy the playoff after the Penguins lose :lol: That sounds terribly wrong.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:16 am

LA/STL series is awesome.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 am

I'll do the bridge jumping after the Pens get knocked out, there are still 3 more possible games for the pens to figure it out. This is the first time the team has been completely healthy, to bad we have to go through growing pains in the middle of the playoffs.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy whatever happens, hopefully with a Penguins victory!!!!! I guess some of you forget playoff series where we have been successful, it looked gloom during many of those series as well. The series against the Capitals in 2009 we dropped the first two games of the series and there were other struggles throughout the run. I'm not jumping on any of these hate player/coach bandwagons until we actually lose.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Inkio on Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am

Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am

I'm not a hockey fan, I am a Penguins fan, so no I am not enjoying this first round.

I expected the Pens to bring their game and roll over the Islanders. Instead I am watching crap hockey and the Penguins beating the Penguins.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 9:22 am

Also we need to really bring it tomorrow at Consol. I'll be there with my Vokoun jersey on ready for a turn around in play, lets make this place explode!!!! The Isles fans last night were going crazy for their team, reminded me of Jets fans sans the throwing beer cans on the ice.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed May 08, 2013 9:23 am

thepittman wrote:Also we need to really bring it tomorrow at Consol. I'll be there with my Vokoun jersey on ready for a turn around in play, lets make this place explode!!!! The Isles fans last night were going crazy for their team, reminded me of Jets fans sans the throwing beer cans on the ice.

All the king's horses and all the king's men.......
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:
thepittman wrote:Also we need to really bring it tomorrow at Consol. I'll be there with my Vokoun jersey on ready for a turn around in play, lets make this place explode!!!! The Isles fans last night were going crazy for their team, reminded me of Jets fans sans the throwing beer cans on the ice.

Some of you have already jumped off the bridge and are swimming for their lives :lol:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 9:29 am

Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Wed May 08, 2013 9:32 am

It was certainly surprising to tune into the Habs-Sens game near the end of regulation and only 3 goals had been scored. If you were only watching the Pens-Isles series, you would have thought something was wrong. Both teams were skating hard too.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 am

thepittman wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:

Some of you have already jumped off the bridge and are swimming for their lives :lol:

Have you been watching this team the last 4 years? Its a broken team with a broken goaltender. When adversity strikes in the postseason, this coach and leadership group have no answers. It feels like last year, with the possible exception of the Islanders being a far less talented team than last year's Flyer team.

This team is laying an egg that will go down as one of the biggest failures in franchise history. And this will be interpreted by the rest of the hockey world as just punishment for being a pig at the deadline.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 9:50 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:
thepittman wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:

Have you been watching this team the last 4 years? Its a broken team with a broken goaltender. When adversity strikes in the postseason, this coach and leadership group have no answers. It feels like last year, with the possible exception of the Islanders being a far less talented team than last year's Flyer team.

This team is laying an egg that will go down as one of the biggest failures in franchise history. And this will be interpreted by the rest of the hockey world as just punishment for being a pig at the deadline.

I don't think the team is anything like last year, I really think they are going to figure things out. I don't believe the Islanders can keep up this pace.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby socket on Wed May 08, 2013 9:59 am

I'm enjoying the series for sure. Adversity makes for entertainment. I kind of hate the fact that the Pens are so damn good (well at least they're supposed to be)... I like rooting for an underdog.
socket
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 10:01 am

thepittman wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:
thepittman wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:

I don't think the team is anything like last year, I really think they are going to figure things out. I don't believe the Islanders can keep up this pace.

There's a saying about wishing in one hand and crapping in the other that applies here.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 10:05 am

Either way whining isn't going to change anything. They are going to pull through or lose. I'm for the winning side. It's up for the team to do it and I think they can.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 am

I'd be enjoying this series a lot more if I didn't feel the need to cringe any time the puck comes within 10 feet of the Pens goal.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins