As a hockey fan, is anyone else enjoying this first round?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: As a hockey fan, is anyone else enjoying this first roun

Postby Penspal on Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 am

Yes, I am enjoying the other series... Comebacks, OT games, fights..... its insane.

TSN guys were saying the Pens-NYI and Stl-LA series were the best and not suprisingly, they are both tied 2-2
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 am

npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 am

NO. I'd be enjoying it if the Pens swept the Isles.

I'm mad as hell and I can't take it anymore!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

thepittman wrote:Either way whining isn't going to change anything. They are going to pull through or lose. I'm for the winning side. It's up for the team to do it and I think they can.

:thumb: This.
RxBandit66 wrote:I'd be enjoying this series a lot more if I didn't feel the need to cringe any time the puck comes within 10 feet of the Pens goal.

:thumb: And this.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 08, 2013 10:34 am

Hawkeynut wrote:I'm not a hockey fan, I am a Penguins fan

Whoa whoa whoa. You just need to be more optimistic. The penguins can play hockey. They just have chosen not too so far.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 am

so we should just wait and see what happens before we get too upset?

sounds a lot like waiting to see how shero plans on fixing our penalty kill after trading away arguably our best 2 pk'ers (sorry...trading one and giving away the other). or waiting to see how bylsma responds after the flyers series. or waiting to see how this team looks once it's healthy. when is it ok to start being frustrated?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

shmenguin wrote:so we should just wait and see what happens before we get too upset?

sounds a lot like waiting to see how shero plans on fixing our penalty kill after trading away arguably our best 2 pk'ers (sorry...trading one and giving away the other). or waiting to see how bylsma responds after the flyers series. or waiting to see how this team looks once it's healthy. when is it ok to start being frustrated?

You can do what you want, but being frustrated isn't going to change anything.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 am

I always find that an early morning on the golf course fixes my frustrations.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 am

thepittman wrote:The ups and downs acrosss the league are crazy. This is one of the best playoff starts entertainment-wise I've seen in awhile. I'm glad the isles aren't just rolling over. It will make winning this series much more meaningful.

YES TOTAL YES!~!!!! out side our series i am enjoying watching as many games as i can watch and the series are playing out very competitive.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 08, 2013 11:11 am

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:I'm not a hockey fan, I am a Penguins fan

Whoa whoa whoa. You just need to be more optimistic. The penguins can play hockey. They just have chosen not too so far.

hahaha I know. I just don't follow anything but the Pens and their games. Once they are out, so am I. So I am really not following any other series (except maybe Montreal/Ottawa as that is downright comical).
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 am

RxBandit66 wrote:I'd be enjoying this series a lot more if I didn't feel the need to cringe any time the puck comes within 10 feet of the Pens goal.

Some of the goals last night weren't even that close.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed May 08, 2013 11:15 am

The only reason for optimism I have is that the Pens were playing the same crappy way at the beginning of the season and changed their tune after the Philly game. It tells me they have the capacity to change their game. Hopefully Vokoun will be a catalyst for that.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:15 am

I'm enjoying every series except Pens/Isles.

STL/LAK has been a war.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am

When the Pens play well I'm up on all the other series.

When they play like crap, I don't want to watch more hockey after the game or on off days.

May not make me much of a hockey fan but other than Van being swept last night and my #2 team LA being tied at 2, I'm not really up on what else is going on. So, no, I guess.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 am

pcm wrote:The only reason for optimism I have is that the Pens were playing the same crappy way at the beginning of the season and changed their tune after the Philly game. It tells me they have the capacity to change their game. Hopefully Vokoun will be a catalyst for that.

The issue is, that game only changes when one of Crosby or Malkin are out of the lineup. It's a very concerning trend.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 11:30 am

Vokoun coming in has changed the team at times as well.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:45 am

I'm tired of hearing how the Islanders are working hard and deserve the bounces. This series should be over. The two games they won were the result of goals they didn't deserve (the two Fleury put in for them and the one that hit Murray's skate).

If Vokoun is in net in games 2 and 4, the Pens are likely up 3 games to 1 and maybe the series is already over. And this is despite the team's lackluster play. If they simply tighten up a bit, maybe drop back to a 1-2-2, and change goaltenders, this will be over in 6.

Then again, if they don't make these changes, it will be over in 6 :evil:
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Wed May 08, 2013 3:48 pm

The reason this isn't enjoyable for many is the mistaken notion that we (the more talented team) would run away with this series. NHL hockey is a sport designed for upsets and strange outcomes. The officiating is inconsistent at best. The most prominent strategy is "get the puck on net and anything can happen." WTF???? It's not exactly a sport or really a league that is geared to rewarding the team with the most skill. It's geared to rewarding the team that is disciplined, tough and smart. You can call the Pens a lot of things but you get pretty far down the list of adjectives before you hit disciplined and smart. The Islanders are simply playing more desperately, more intelligently and showing more discipline. They are carrying play. Combine all that with Fleury completely losing his composure and you have a dog fight. I am enjoying the agony of it all.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 3:50 pm

In 2009 they were possibly the most disciplined team in the league, oh how things have change.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Wed May 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Only a masochist could derive enjoyment from the way the Pens are not playing. If these were tight, disciplined games where the Isles hard work managed to get them a couple of wins, I might be less displeased. But the sloppy trainwrecks the last four games have all been have sucked any enjoyment out of it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed May 08, 2013 4:08 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:I'm tired of hearing how the Islanders are working hard and deserve the bounces. This series should be over. The two games they won were the result of goals they didn't deserve (the two Fleury put in for them and the one that hit Murray's skate).

If Vokoun is in net in games 2 and 4, the Pens are likely up 3 games to 1 and maybe the series is already over. And this is despite the team's lackluster play. If they simply tighten up a bit, maybe drop back to a 1-2-2, and change goaltenders, this will be over in 6.

Then again, if they don't make these changes, it will be over in 6 :evil:

I'm with you. Frankly, I'm mad as hell at the way this team is playing. :evil: It's absolutely SINFUL to waste the talent on this team with the "strategic" (and I use the word loosely) approach being used.

By now, what's left of the Islanders should have been swept up by the Zamboni. Instead, the Pens are making this bunch look like world beaters.

I've seen this movie before. Hell, I was in the stands when David Volek's shot beat Barrasso. You can't let these guys hang around until a bad break sends you to the golf course. You've got to snuff them out like candles.

To answer the question: no, No, and HELL NO. I'm not enjoying this first round. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Shyster wrote:Only a masochist could derive enjoyment from the way the Pens are not playing. If these were tight, disciplined games where the Isles hard work managed to get them a couple of wins, I might be less displeased. But the sloppy trainwrecks the last four games have all been have sucked any enjoyment out of it.

I just have a lot of hope left for this series. I feel like we got it.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 pm

Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Wed May 08, 2013 7:58 pm

I'm enjoying it even with the Pens not playing their best and MAF burying himself.

The LA-STL series is some really good hockey and the Wild are pushing Chicago as hard as they can and making them earn it. OTT-MTL is sort of surprising me and the Habs totally blowing it last night with a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd and allowing a goal with 22 secs left was pretty dramatic. Bruins-Loafs I haven't paid a lot of attention too. Wings-Ducks is always a good match-up and the Wings are showing they still have something left without Lidstrom. Caps-NYR I don't really watch except during intermissions of other games because I can't stand either team and they are frankly boring.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 pm

I enjoy winning... and that's pretty much all I enjoy.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins