'13 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'13 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 am

Pens lose 6-4

- Frequent poor defensive choices killed the Pens, lead by Letang & Malkin. Almost every time they touched the puck in the 3rd period, it was a gift to the Isles
- MAF let in two softies (the last was pretty much meaningless). However, MAF is now rattled, & Tomas Vokoun will be considered as a game 5 starter
- To this point, this is NOT a repeat of the Flyers series. Its not the pond hockey + goone style, its just give away time. VERY FIXABLE
- Pens bounceback goals show the experience and skill, what a waste as these goals are huge
- Pens could easily have had 2-3 more penalties early on than were called.
- Malkin's fight at the end of the game further fouls his effort. Two other penalties (one to Cooke was really Malkin). WAKE UP GENO
- Nabakov was shaky, he's vulnerable.
- Isles went to rolling 3 lines, so much for their 4 line team
- This blows my 4-1 series prediction out of the water (more worried about a series loss now)
- Let's not forget, up until the third period the Pens were this close to taking this to 3-1 series lead. We've only seen the real Pens for maybe 3/12 periods so far this series
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am

So first loss this year where we had a lead in the 3rd?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 am

Not good.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 am

My thoughts? I definitely don't think they are going to win the Cup, but I'm really starting to think they won't even win this series. These guys are just sad.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Wed May 08, 2013 8:39 am

Henry Hank wrote:My thoughts? I definitely don't think they are going to win the Cup, but I'm really starting to think they won't even win this series. These guys are just sad.

Don't paint the whole team as sad. Its just a couple key guys last night.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 am

Not sure I'm with you there. I think a couple of guys played well and everyone else was out to lunch.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 am

Penspal wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:My thoughts? I definitely don't think they are going to win the Cup, but I'm really starting to think they won't even win this series. These guys are just sad.

Don't paint the whole team as sad. Its just a couple key guys last night.

Everyone is guilty of playing less than their abilities and making stupid decisions. Some just do it for 60 minutes, others a bit less.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 am

Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Inkio on Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 am

I feel sick to my stomach. This is a coaching thing not a player thing. First off, not taking out Fleury when he is obviously shaky. Not playing the trap after you have a lead and obviously can't hold it judging by the other loss to the isles with the Bylsma system. This is playoffs, adjust. Malkin's give away's in our own zone led to two goals.

To be completely honest this team is not winning the cup let alone getting out of this series playing like this. Even if they do somehow win they won't make it past the second round unless they change something.

If they lose this series Bylsma needs to be fired and Fleury needs to be cut. Fleury hasn't had a good playoff series since 09, you can't win with a goalie who let's in extremely extremely (I cannot stress this enough) extremely weak goals at key moments even if he does come up with big saves a few times.

I'm frustrated, and fed up.
Last edited by Inkio on Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 am

pfim wrote:Not sure I'm with you there. I think a couple of guys played well and everyone else was out to lunch.

Pretty much.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 am

There's obviously going to be a few guys that want it, but from coach to goalie to the majority of the team, they are failing miserably. There is so much wrong with this team, so much so that they're in true danger of losing a series to the 16th best team in the league during the regular season. I think it's hopeless. Maybe they'll be able to get past these guys by talent alone, but they are going to get smoked by Ottawa next round.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 am

Not quite sure how Rossi figured this much detail out on the Malkin situation. From today's Trib

"Right winger James Neal sat at his stall wearing an expression of disbelief after Game 4. Center Evgeni Malkin was by then receiving treatment on a left shoulder that could require offseason surgery"

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/pensgalleries/3971766-74/penguins-game-series#ixzz2Shjz4Bsk
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 8:45 am

Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby theANTIgenious on Wed May 08, 2013 8:45 am

- Need to find a way to create more offensive zone time. Pens did a great job of limiting shots through two periods, but Islanders still spending way too much time in the Penguins zone.

- Sometimes its not how many bad goals Fleury lets in, but WHEN he gives up a bad one. When the Penguins started finally playing a more playoff brand of hockey in the 2nd, the bad goal negates their lead going into the third. Very demoralizing, even with the early goal in the third by Dupuis.

- It's very difficult to make a change to the franchise goaltender in the postseason. It not only has an effect on this season, but also for future seasons. If Vokoun comes in and performs well, that 5 million dollars in cap space spent on MAF will look pretty expendable.
theANTIgenious
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 am

Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

theANTIgenious wrote:- Need to find a way to create more offensive zone time. Pens did a great job of limiting shots through two periods, but Islanders still spending way too much time in the Penguins zone.

- Sometimes its not how many bad goals Fleury lets in, but WHEN he gives up a bad one. When the Penguins started finally playing a more playoff brand of hockey in the 2nd, the bad goal negates their lead going into the third. Very demoralizing, even with the early goal in the third by Dupuis.

- It's very difficult to make a change to the franchise goaltender in the postseason. It not only has an effect on this season, but also for future seasons. If Vokoun comes in and performs well, that 5 million dollars in cap space spent on MAF will look pretty expendable.

You don't get a guy who could be a starter on several teams and pay him big money for a backup if you arent thinking about replacing Fleury if he falters again.

These last three games are the reason you trade a draft pick for negotiating right for a guy like Vokoun. If Vokoun doesn't play next game we might as well had brought back Johnson.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Inkio on Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

"Several players screamed at members of the media who blocked the only exit into the hallway, where franchise icon and majority co-owner Mario Lemieux, with his wife Nathalie, were dour while leaning against a wall."

Maybe Mario came in and talked to Byslma laying down the hammer. Hopefully...
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

my thoughts? the pens suck. How you go from the best team in the EAST to this all of a sudden is mind boggling. Just pathetic how an 8 seed can walk all over us after game 1. Obviously they adjusted why cant we? And Fleury you are done in my book im so tired of defending you, just awful goal tending i hope you are benched.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:49 am

Unless Malkin had a brain aneurysm, I don't want to hear any BS about injuries.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby theANTIgenious on Wed May 08, 2013 8:51 am

DelPen wrote:
theANTIgenious wrote:- Need to find a way to create more offensive zone time. Pens did a great job of limiting shots through two periods, but Islanders still spending way too much time in the Penguins zone.

You don't get a guy who could be a starter on several teams and pay him big money for a backup if you arent thinking about replacing Fleury if he falters again.

These last three games are the reason you trade a draft pick for negotiating right for a guy like Vokoun. If Vokoun doesn't play next game we might as well had brought back Johnson.

I think you misunderstand me, I am 100% on board with making the change. I completely agree with you on the fact that this is why they signed Vokoun. My only point is that it becomes a slippery slope should Vokoun play dramatically better than MAF. But again, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't make the change. Fleury has brought this upon himself.
theANTIgenious
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

Sad.

Please stop sucking.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby theANTIgenious on Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Sad.

Please stop sucking.

THIS
theANTIgenious
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

iWonTheCup87 wrote:my thoughts? the pens suck. How you go from the best team in the EAST to this all of a sudden is mind boggling. Just pathetic how an 8 seed can walk all over us after game 1. Obviously they adjusted why cant we? And Fleury you are done in my book im so tired of defending you, just awful goal tending i hope you are benched.

They are the Washington Capitals. And they could have made the needed culture changing coaching move after last year's debacle but were too chicken to do it. It's hard to imagine they're going to have the talent they've had last year and this year again anytime soon, it's just sad that it's completely going to waste. Can't even get out of the first round.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 am

my 2 cents:
- MAF has let up, what, 4 goals from behind? He is abysmal in the playoffs. He is off balance, out of position...just ugh.
- The Isles would never do it but I'd take Tavares for Malkin any time any place. Tavares is solid. No give-aways unless someone does something illegal to him (and never gets called for it), and just fast and driving.
- It isn't Malkin's shoulder that is causing these turnovers, they were there long before his shoulder problems. I'd be great with sending him on his way before next season.
- We have no speed guys to roll out outside of Kuny and Dupuis. not surprising, they looked liked some of the best players out there.
- Morrow has disappeared. So much for his playoff value. Too slow and can never seem to win a puck battle...like ever.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:53 am

For the early parts of the game I was :D
Then in the third period I started to :scared:
Now I just have to relax, enjoy the ups and downs of the series and hope that they move on to the next round. It's been a wild series of exciting hockey (even though not a good style for the Pens) at least.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins