'13 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 4 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby praxitas on Wed May 08, 2013 11:58 am

SolidSnake wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned, but on NHL Network, they said it's been 40GA in Fleury's last 10 playoffs games. Are you kidding me?

So if you exclude the game 1 shutout that is 40 goals in 9 games. :face:
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 08, 2013 12:00 pm

praxitas wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned, but on NHL Network, they said it's been 40GA in Fleury's last 10 playoffs games. Are you kidding me?

Those stats are bad, but that's unfair to exclude a shut out just to perpetuate your point.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby firepower on Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Time to panic yet? 17 goals in 4 games and its 2-2? Guess you got to take into account 14 in 3 for the Isles.
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 pm

marek wrote:
mac5155 wrote:hahahhahaha he holds an optional skate today. lolololol

A midget walks into a bar carrying a suitcase and a rubber duck...

Did the midget look like Capuano? :lol: :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby praxitas on Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
praxitas wrote:

Those stats are bad, but that's unfair to exclude a shut out just to perpetuate your point.

Yeah kinda, but the problem is we've needed on average 5 goals to win the other 9 games. Granted this is going back to the Flyers series where the entire team D **** the bed.
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
Pitts wrote:
columbia wrote:Any guess on when a possible Sunday game would happen?
It's not scheduled to be on NBC proper, so I guess at night?

I won't be able to watch Saturday's game....I suppose if they go down in flames, I'd rather hear it than see it.

Are you saying they are supposed to play Saturday in LI, then Sunday in Pittsburgh?

Yes, they are scheduled to play back to back.

lol..I'm like the players, I only worry about the next game after the current game is done! :)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Its kinda hard to imagine the Pens getting out of this round.

"We felt they had a lot of guys on their team, especially the older guys, that can’t skate with us."

Frans Nielson

If we don't see Vokoun, and dont see 9-87-12, 14-71-18, then DB is officially garbage and they should take his Cup ring and give it to FHCMT.

I could certainly support this, although I'm ready to have a peanut vendor center the second line. You know, someone who can make a pass across 3 seats without getting it picked off? :roll:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby abwvu1 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:16 pm

- Start Vokoun tomorrow.

that is all.
abwvu1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 12:25 pm

nocera wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:
nocera wrote:The most annoying thing about the Penguins losing in the playoffs is all of the people who suddenly care about hockey talking to me about it like they've been watching all year.

Fortunately in my new position, the people around me actually have followed the Pens for years. So I'm not getting the stupid "What's wrong with your Pens?" questions.

"What's wrong with your Pens" is much better than people regurgitating Madden.

Unless it's from Flyers fans, dripping with a sneer, and punctuated with this:

Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 pm

E-Ramone wrote:Vokoun has to start game 5. The gif earlier in this thread showing Nisky taking his man wide of the net while the puck just trickles in as MAF hugs the post then slowly rolls over is all I need to see to know where Flower's confidence is right now. I feel like if MAF starts game 5 and the Isles come out strong, it could be 2 or 3 to nothing in the first 10 minutes.

It absolutely sucks beyond belief that the Flyers series from last year is basically playing out again. Something(s) is/are very broken with this team.

It's absolutely one of the worst goals I can recall seeing, and it's why I'm officially ready for a change in net.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby firepower on Wed May 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Its kinda hard to imagine the Pens getting out of this round.

"We felt they had a lot of guys on their team, especially the older guys, that can’t skate with us."

Frans Nielson

If we don't see Vokoun, and dont see 9-87-12, 14-71-18, then DB is officially garbage and they should take his Cup ring and give it to FHCMT.

Don't know. I was thinking more 14-87-12 ... 18-36-71 ... 10-9-24 ... 15-16-48 and with the D 58-44 ... 2-7 ... 4-3
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm

neilson is totally right. there's a lot of individual blame to be thrown around, but this team, as a whole, is slow as all hell.

vitale and kennedy should get put into the lineup. i don't really care who they replace. oh, but i forgot...we decided to field a couple of penalty killers that are useless at even strength, so no matter how terrible they are, they're going to stay in the lineup.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Me thinking my thoughts from the morning after...

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Frans Nielson

Nielsen may be right, but man, they've become unabashedly cocky over in that room. They're inching into bulletin-board material territory. That's one reason why I wanted to pull out a win last night. All the amazing things the Isles are doing, all the shooting themselves in the foot the Pens are doing, and the Isles are down 3-1.

As for your second point, if we don't see these changes, then...I don't know what I'm going to do.

Apropos of mostly nothing: I admit I don't sleep well at all after playoff games like last night (and games 2 and 3). But I had a dream last night that we won games 5 and 6. Part of the reason was because we made lineup and play adjustments. But a remarkable thing was the Isles got way too full of themselves, taunting the Pens on the ice and on the bench. They were waving to the fans like it was WWE. They crossed the line, took a series of punky unsportsmanlike penalties, and the Pens woke up and made them pay. In my dream, I'm watching it on TV and actually saying "What the hell are they doing?!" Isles were being sent off to the box and they were yelling at the refs, indignant that they could be called: "You let us do that s*** all series until now!"

In remarks after game 6, Kunitz (of all people) said, "We finally woke up and got rid of these a******* for the good of the playoffs, for the good of the league, and for the good of the game."

Then we got the NYR in the second round (again, it was a dream) and won in 5 games.

This is how the playoffs messes up my life and psyche! LOL!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GaryRissling on Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 pm

What's similar about this and the flyers series is how stretched and disorganized our team D is. Forwards coming in late on the back check, 2 guys marking the same player, no neutral zone presence forcing predicable entries, losing (or not partaking in) battles along the boards to clear the zone, etc. it is a stunning lack of preparation and attention to detail. Fleury's been bad, but there is a lot of shame to go around.

For example, on the goal that went in off of Murray's skate, the puck initially came around the boards, and instead of taking the body of the Isle, Dupuis waited for it, thinking he could win it clean and exit quickly. Instead the Isle won it easily and started the sequence that led to the goal. I was screaming at Dupuis long before the puck even went back to the point. We spend too much time in our end because of stuff like this.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Wed May 08, 2013 12:58 pm

The Pens skaters aren't prohibitively slow, its the stop-start style they're playing that's slowing them down.

Most everyone receiving a pass does so from a standstill and usually on the boards with nowhere to go.

Dumpins are futile with no speed across the blue because anyone who should be retrieving isn't moving forward nearly enough.

They flashed signs of effective breakout with less space between teammates, but that didnt last.

With none of that, isles have easy-made gaps to counterattack.

Over and over and over.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Did anyone notice when they thru something on the ice, it was right there by the linesman and he just let it lie there. They immediately pick up sticks but not debris thrown on the ice?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Garbage
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby marek on Wed May 08, 2013 1:24 pm

This is a complete crapping of the bed by the pens.

The performance in this series, is far worse than the past two seasons. The islanders are a young and inexperienced team, one that should have been demoralized after game 2 if the pens would have followed up game one with some effort.

Instead, this team was given confidence and now they are playing like they have nothing to lose.

Bylsma had better make some adjustments. Or this series is finished on saturday along with his job.
What an absolute embarrassment, waste of talent & money.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GreenLantern on Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Pens will still take this in 6. Of course there are going to be some shaky games, you have 4 new additions to your team.. 4 major additions I should say. Takes a while for everyone to gel, not only that but Crosby, Martin, Orpik and Letang were all coming off injuries and now Neal.

This isn't time to panic yet, but the team needs to play better defense for sure. Some of Fleury's goals have been shaky, for sure, but a lot of them were off second chances that should not have been available to them. The Pens already won a best of 3 series by taking one at home and one on the road, they will do it again.

4 games in, series is tied, lets put that behind us, this is a veteran group that are going to step on the ice at Melon arena like its game one and close this series out in 2 games.

My prediction: Pens go down early in game 5, Iggy drops the gloves with whoever is dumb enough to fight him..

/series
Last edited by GreenLantern on Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 1:28 pm

GreenLantern wrote:Pens will still take this in 6. Of course there are going to be some shaky games, you have 4 new additions to your team.. 4 major additions I should say. Takes a while for everyone to gel, not only that but Crosby, Martin and Letang were all coming off injuries and now Neal.

This isn't time to panic yet, but the team needs to play better defense for sure. Some of Fleury's goals have been shaky, for sure, but a lot of them were off second chances that should not have been available to them. The Pens already won a best of 3 series by taking one at home and one on the road, they will do it again.

The problem now is if they don't win 2 straight, they'll have a rusty 36-year-old goalie playing 3 games in 4 days because games 6 and 7 are back to back.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Vokoun has to, and will, play the rest of the series. Flower can get his head right, and if we make it, start game 1 of the next series.

We can't win the cup without flower in net, but we can't win this series with him in it.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 pm

GreenLantern wrote:My prediction: Pens go down early in game 5, Iggy drops the gloves with whoever is dumb enough to fight him..

that sounds like game 3 against philly to me.

if the team comes out looking to scrap, they've already lost the series.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 pm

just notices that glass got all of 1 minute 8 seconds on the PK last night. i'm not sure how the hell he stays in the lineup thursday if he's not even killing penalties

#iknowhesnottheproblembutstill
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Wed May 08, 2013 2:33 pm

For me, this series puts last year in a different light. We didn't just "lose our crap" last year because it was Philly. What happened last year and what is happening this year is due to an utter lack of discipline. Bad playoff teams don't even look like this. Bad playoff goalies don't look like this. What happened to the days when we played a left wing lock and forced turnovers in the neutral zone? That would be a nice strategy for the playoffs. Focus on playing responsible D and the rest will follow.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins