Will the Pens win this series?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Will the Pens win this series?

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 1:41 pm

no name wrote:Well back in 92 Frankie Pietrangelo started a game 6 vs the Caps i and stole a series for us and we still won the cup with Tommy B.

:thumb:

And, really, Fleury being bad in this series doesn't mean he's a bomb for the rest of the playoffs. If you remember back to the Cup year, he was absolutely terrible in the second round against Washington then he was fantastic against Carolina in the ECF.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bathgate on Wed May 08, 2013 1:41 pm

1975, 1982, and 1993, easily the three most crushing defeats in Pens playoff history, all pulled off by the Islanders. They are doing it again. Logic and common sense suggest that those previous debacles should have nothing to do with the present series. But I’ve followed sports for over 50 years and observed so many crazy patterns of luck that just seem to sustain themselves against the odds and against logic. I always expect that what seems like a jinx will continue and it usually does.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 pm

If this had a poll, i'd use it to tell everyone what was going to happen.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed May 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Isles in 6 - because my predictions are almost always wrong.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Things change quickly of course. After game one, everyone (here and otherwise) had this as a sweep, and marveled at our lineup etc.

One game later, and it's the Philly series all over again.

I say the Pens do in fact, turn it around and win this series, winning one gut wrenching game, and one relatively easy game.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed May 08, 2013 2:18 pm

I NEVER give up. Each team still needs 2 more games to win this thing. The Pens have the talent to pull it off.

As far as next round, my thinking is that the 1st round has become a monkey on the Pen's backs. They are over-thinking everything and losing focus due to their fear of losing again. If/when they make it out of round one, I TRULY BELIEVE YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENT TEAM in round 2. The monkey will be dead and they will breath a sigh of relief. Ottawa, Boston, Washington, NYR --- whoever does not scare me as much as any opponent in the 1st round.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Wed May 08, 2013 2:20 pm

I still believe the Pens will win.

Hi. My name is Shakes. I am a delusional Pens fan.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Arlow on Wed May 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Truly pathetic that we've got to the point with this collection of talent that we are questioning whether we will even win a playoff series against the Islanders.
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 08, 2013 2:34 pm

In 3 Games Crosby is a team worst (tied with Morrow) -3. This needs to change.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:41 pm

pcm wrote:Yes. They get the monkey off their back.
Would be good poll.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Arlow on Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:In 3 Games Crosby is a team worst (tied with Morrow) -3. This needs to change.

Unless he's going to start playing defense and goalie then I doubt it will.
Arlow
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:44 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:In 3 Games Crosby is a team worst (tied with Morrow) -3. This needs to change.

Sid is a -3 for sure but do you think we win game 3 without him? I doubt it. I do agree that has to change though.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GJ on Wed May 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Vokoun wins game 5, 3-2
Vokoun wins game 6, 2-1
GJ
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 pm

GJ wrote:Vokoun wins game 5, 3-2
Vokoun wins game 6, 2-1

I'm not so optomistic. I say...

Vokoun wins game 5, 5-4
Vokoun loses game 6, 4-1
Fleury loses game 7, 6-5
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby WHITEY1 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm

WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 08, 2013 2:51 pm

CERV96 wrote:

Sid is a -3 for sure but do you think we win game 3 without him? I doubt it. I do agree that has to change though.

To be honest, I dont think we played all that bad defensively last night. 3 of the Isles goals came from point shots from their D. The 6th goal is the definition of soft.

I really wish Bylsma would have seen the writing on the wall after game 3 and went with Vokoun last night.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 08, 2013 2:53 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
CERV96 wrote:

To be honest, I dont think we played all that bad defensively last night. 3 of the Isles goals came from point shots from their D. The 6th goal is the definition of soft.

I really wish Bylsma would have seen the writing on the wall after game 3 and went with Vokoun last night.

I think he wanted to give him one final chance. He usually/used to bounce back from bad games.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 08, 2013 2:58 pm

Is it too much to ask for a goalie that doesn't have a horrifying blow up game every 2 or 3 games in the playoffs? I'd prefer he didn't **** the bed in the first place than laud his ability to come back strong.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 2:58 pm

CERV96 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
CERV96 wrote:

I think he wanted to give him one final chance. He usually/used to bounce back from bad games.

Which makes sense, because the series is now back to even. Had it gone 2-1 them or 3-1 them. We would've seen Vokoun earlier I bet.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
CERV96 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
CERV96 wrote:

Which makes sense, because the series is now back to even. Had it gone 2-1 them or 3-1 them. We would've seen Vokoun earlier I bet.

So do I. Fleury was going to keep playing until he single-handedly cost the Penguins a game - that happened last night. He didn't even really cost them game 2 since they got outplayed so badly, but last night's game was much closer and he was their undoing.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed May 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Not if they continue to play the Islanders' type of game. If they trap, stay patient, and stop turning the puck over or taking stupid penalties, they should beat the Islanders.
Here are my changes for tomorrow night:
1) Malkin is a healthy scratch - yes, that's right. He can sample the nachos in Nausau County Mausoleum. Jokinen can center that line w/ Neal & Dupuis.
2) Crosby's line has Iginla & Kunitz.
2) Vokoun is in goal.
3) Kennedy and Vitale to play - let's get our forecheck up in their grill and see how they like it. Glass and Bennett sit.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Wed May 08, 2013 4:49 pm

tfrizz wrote:
So do I. Fleury was going to keep playing until he single-handedly cost the Penguins a game - that happened last night. He didn't even really cost them game 2 since they got outplayed so badly, but last night's game was much closer and he was their undoing.

**nodding grimly**
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Wed May 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes. And all you whiners should go to the box, two minutes, by yourself, and feel shame. Pens have yet to even be behind in this series.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe on Wed May 08, 2013 5:12 pm

A resounding yes. Check the pens history. They have done this in the past. Hell in the cup years in the early 90's they were down 3-1 to the caps and came back and won it. I also feel the flyers last year were a better team then the islanders this year. The pens are also better. The pens made the move they had to make to win this series and beyond. Vokoun had to start. Pens win in six. book it!
joe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 08, 2013 5:26 pm

In my playoff pick'ems, I had the Pens in six. That being said, I didn't think it was going to happen in such a horrific, soulsucking fashion.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins