Will the Pens win this series?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Will the Pens win this series?

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed May 08, 2013 5:34 pm

So far, the Islanders have gotten to the Pens game by cycling the puck and playing a lopsided portion of the game in the Pens end. There is very little that makes me think that this will change. So the question is, can the Pens win the series while being outplayed?

Sure, things happen in the playoffs. But at this point, I wouldn't place any money on it.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pugilist13 on Wed May 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Yes, with Vokoun in goal I just believe they will. I think this is the worst combined goaltending effort I have ever seen in a playoff series. Flower and Nabby have been a total joke.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rgj on Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm

My heart tells me the Pens will pull it off.....BUT, knowing this teams' traditional playoff collapse....my head tells me NO.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:Yes. And all you whiners should go to the box, two minutes, by yourself, and feel shame. Pens have yet to even be behind in this series.

Sad really, isn't it.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote: the question is, can the Pens win the series while being outplayed?

They definitely can, if they had even average goaltending last night, it would be 3-1
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby panthers1788 on Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Iginla is so happy, the only thing I can figure is that he knows the script. Bettman told him to go to Pittsburgh if he wants to win a cup....we win in 6
panthers1788
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Wed May 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Sit the injured Malkin. Smack letang and get him defense minded then it should be easymode.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeanPronovost on Wed May 08, 2013 6:30 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:1) Malkin is a healthy scratch - yes, that's right. He can sample the nachos in Nausau County Mausoleum.

So you not only want to scratch him, you want to leave him behind on Long Island?
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 6:39 pm

I want to believe, but everything I'm seeing tells me the Pens have tee times lined up for next week.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm being taunted and trash-talked relentlessly today.

I'm doing my best not to play down to my opponents.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RentedMule66 on Wed May 08, 2013 6:46 pm

No....#1. Some teams just have other teams numbers....we can't beat the Isles in a playoff series... #2. We peaked too early just like last year...this is definitely a factor!! #3. If this does miraculously go to 7 games, we can't win a game 7 on home ice to save our lives. #4. Pens always play down to opponents. #5. There getting outworked and things haven't changed a bit from game 2 - 5.
RentedMule66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Will the Pens win this series?

No.

I base this on the fact that throughout the Penguins career of HCDB, there has been little reason to convince me that he is capable of countering tactics in the playoffs. This 1-3-1 crap we are seeing from the Islanders resembles the same styles we have seen from past playoff years, where the Pens also had no answers. It is highly likely that Capuano, a middling coach who coached his team to a middling regular season record, simply broke out the tapes of past Penguins playoff beatings and simply copied some of the tactics.

Whether it is that HCDB is incapable of coaching around tactics meant to thwart his "system", or that he is unwilling to... does not matter. Either way, his short tenure history here has shown that he has not done so.

As I noted towards the end of season, HCDB will be tested in the playoffs. The regular season, though the Pens had seemed to right the ship, is not indicative of what happens come playoff time. Mostly because teams during the regular season are not going to change their tactics/style JUST to beat the Pens' system. But come playoff time, that is the ONLY thing teams do (via coaching). The proof is in the pudding right now. I have no reason to expect the Pens to change.

The only way I see the Pens pulling this one out is if Malkin or Crosby go on a rampage and simply outskill the Islanders off the ice. That doesn't happen as much in the playoffs of today's era, thanks to the overload of coaching/tactics/systems. Today's game is more like a chess match, where even though the Queen is the most powerful piece on the board individually, she is still only one cog in the entire scheme and can be defeated by even the lowliest pawn on the board if the gameplan fails.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 pm

Yes, the Pens will win. Even if it doesn't come easy or look pretty as we all thought.

The current trend is Win 1, Lose 1.... If that continues, Pens in 7....

However, I say Pens win the next two games, book that, stamp it....whatev

Vokoun will be the calming influence and the Pens will simply the game and focus on their own end and allow that offense to come.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 pm

The league's playoff history is full of teams that struggled mightily in Round 1 and went on to conference finals or Cups. The key is survival. Each matchup is different. The Isles don't count if we win.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 08, 2013 9:08 pm

penmyst wrote:I base this on the fact that throughout the Penguins career of HCDB, there has been little reason to convince me that he is capable of countering tactics in the playoffs. This 1-3-1 crap we are seeing from the Islanders resembles the same styles we have seen from past playoff years, where the Pens also had no answers. It is highly likely that Capuano, a middling coach who coached his team to a middling regular season record, simply broke out the tapes of past Penguins playoff beatings and simply copied some of the tactics.

Whether it is that HCDB is incapable of coaching around tactics meant to thwart his "system", or that he is unwilling to... does not matter. Either way, his short tenure history here has shown that he has not done so.

I got a good laugh here. Have you seen his goalie?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Matthew Monstar wrote:Vokoun will be the calming influence and the Pens will simply the game and focus on their own end and allow that offense to come.

That's certainly what I'm hoping for. You guys probably don't remember, but that was my argument for playing Johnson more the year he was good, as you could see the difference in confidence the team had when he was in the net vs when Fleury was up to his old tricks.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 08, 2013 9:15 pm

jamespensfan wrote:No. We have seen this act before. I would love to be wrong, but no.

Actually we have not seen this act before. It's an entirely new scene. A new hero is introduced in this scene.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 pm

JeanPronovost wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:1) Malkin is a healthy scratch - yes, that's right. He can sample the nachos in Nausau County Mausoleum.

So you not only want to scratch him, you want to leave him behind on Long Island?

It's an island. How much trouble can he get into?
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 pm

The thing that I hang my hat on with Vokun is that he was used to seeing a billion and a half shots in Florida. This lends well to the style the Pens have been allowing the Islanders to play all series. I predict Pens 523 Islanders 3, Vokun with 4 assists.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Wed May 08, 2013 10:39 pm

We only let up like 24 shots last game... compared to the what, 36-38 the previous?

If we win the series its because the Islanders are still very raw themselves, young, and Nabby just isn't that great. We don't deserve to win.

You want some perspective? Forget everything for a second and listen to this:

The Penguins are 1 overtime goal away from being down 1-3 to the New York Islanders.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 09, 2013 12:45 am

Joe Starkey must have read the game 4 GDT late last night...

Starkey: Pens Not in Critical Condition--Yet
Wednesday, May 8 10:21pm

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/3 ... z2SlLvuSWh
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 am

Forever optimistic, so I'll say yes, they win it. In spite of DB's hack job of being a coach, I think we have enough talent to overcome what the Isles bring. It won't look pretty, but I think we score enough simply due to our roster to pull it out.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 09, 2013 12:57 am

jwest21 wrote:Yes. Sunshine, rainbows and puppies

You left out lollipops.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins