Vokoun to Start

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Out of all the guys I want to see get a cup, it's Vokoun the most. It's his time to earn it.

He's the 40+ shot goalie and lose 1-0. I think this style of game is more familiar to him than MAF.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,979
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 2:50 pm

MarioLives wrote:So just out of curiosity, what happens if this team plays better in front of Vokoun and they dominate? What does that say about the team? Why can't they do that when MAF is in there? It may be a moot point, we will see.


It says they weren't taking things seriously, which is a pretty damning indictment.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,332
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Rocco wrote:
MarioLives wrote:So just out of curiosity, what happens if this team plays better in front of Vokoun and they dominate? What does that say about the team? Why can't they do that when MAF is in there? It may be a moot point, we will see.


It says they weren't taking things seriously, which is a pretty damning indictment.


Well it could also mean that they put too much stock into MAF making the ridiculous save. Which also leads back around to the same point.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,979
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby murphydump55 on Wed May 08, 2013 3:07 pm

tfrizz wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:It's been said before:

It's not about the saves you make, but the saves you don't make.

Fleury saps any momentum out of this team with his softies that he routinely allows game after game. TV has to start and as I predicted in another thread, we will win the next two games because of this.


And if Vokoun doesn't win the next two games? So many people assume that going from Fleury to Vokoun is going to magically turn to wins, but it's still entire possible that the team continues to play like garbage and/or Vokoun also plays poorly.


If the team continues to play they way they are, and Vokoun can provide average at best goaltending, we'll win this series.

I highly doubt that Vokoun goes in and plays like a complete spaz like Fleury has done. The odds of that happening are very slim. Could he let in a few goals? Sure, with the way the team is playing right now, it's bound to happen. Will he let in a bunch of soft goals that will completely sink any confidence this team has left? Probably not.....and that will be the difference maker right there.

I'm standing by my prediction that we will win the next two games with Vokoun in net.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,394
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Thunder Bay

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Kraftster wrote:I think I probably go back to MAF in Game 6 in about 8/10 scenarios. MAF has a history of responding very well to being pulled, so I would think a benching would essentially trigger the same response from him. I'd go back to Vokoun if (1) he absolutely stands on his head or (2) the team plays an extremely tight game in front of him (regardless of outcome in both scenarios). Anything short of those two things, and I'd probably go back to Fleury. Fleury is capable of playing at a significantly higher level than Vokoun at this stage in Vokoun's career, I think.


I seem to remember Fleury coming back after the Pens beat the Flyers 10-3 and just completely stealing game 5 from them last year. Of course, the Flyers went on to win game 6.

But Vokoun has tortured the Islanders in his career, and this past season is 3-0 with a 0.90 GAA. I think if he plays well you stick with him for game 6, and if the Pens win that game then maybe go back to Flower to start the next series. I agree that Fleury is capable of playing at a higher level at this point in his career. But Vokoun is less likely to completely melt down. He's won a ton of games on totally crap teams, and it seems like the more shots he faces the better he plays. Since that's the Islanders' game plan, just shoot from everywhere, Vokoun will be up to that task. He's marginally better at handling the puck, too.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,814
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 3:18 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I think I probably go back to MAF in Game 6 in about 8/10 scenarios. MAF has a history of responding very well to being pulled, so I would think a benching would essentially trigger the same response from him. I'd go back to Vokoun if (1) he absolutely stands on his head or (2) the team plays an extremely tight game in front of him (regardless of outcome in both scenarios). Anything short of those two things, and I'd probably go back to Fleury. Fleury is capable of playing at a significantly higher level than Vokoun at this stage in Vokoun's career, I think.


I seem to remember Fleury coming back after the Pens beat the Flyers 10-3 and just completely stealing game 5 from them last year. Of course, the Flyers went on to win game 6.

But Vokoun has tortured the Islanders in his career, and this past season is 3-0 with a 0.90 GAA. I think if he plays well you stick with him for game 6, and if the Pens win that game then maybe go back to Flower to start the next series. I agree that Fleury is capable of playing at a higher level at this point in his career. But Vokoun is less likely to completely melt down. He's won a ton of games on totally crap teams, and it seems like the more shots he faces the better he plays. Since that's the Islanders' game plan, just shoot from everywhere, Vokoun will be up to that task. He's marginally better at handling the puck, too.


Which is why I still believe that Vokoun could get the Pens to the ECF, but they're going to need Fleury on his game to go any further. Higher ceiling (Fleury) vs higher floor (Vokoun) - there's going to be a point where they need Fleury to play at that level beyond what Vokoun's capable of nowadays, it's just a matter of whether it's in the ECF or SCF.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,126
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 pm

I really hope we look back on this move and say "Wow, that was the turning point."

One has to believe the team will collectively dig their head out of their collective posteriors and play strong.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,888
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Page 554 of the new CBA

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby dogwithshftyeyes on Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 pm

dont forget: Vokoun wears his glove on his right hand
dogwithshftyeyes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: inner city

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Jesse on Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 pm

This was needed. Not only because of Fleury, but because the team needed this kick in the behind. Which is sad, because they shouldn't.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby columbia on Wed May 08, 2013 3:25 pm

What kills me about MAF's meltdown was that him being overworked was the excuse in the past.
Condensed schedule or not, he only had to play 33 freakin' games this year.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,635
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby offsides on Wed May 08, 2013 3:25 pm

This will either be the move that is hailed as the turning point in the series or just another futile effort to stop the Pens same old playoff failure.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,413
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 3:26 pm

columbia wrote:What kills me about MAF's meltdown was that him being overworked was the excuse in the past.
Condensed schedule or not, he only had to play 33 freakin' games this year.


And that's why this season was a critical junction. Up until now, being overworked was a plausible reason for his playoff struggles. Now, it isn't.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,126
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 3:27 pm

dogwithshftyeyes wrote:dont forget: Vokoun wears his glove on his right hand


He'll be useful against the Isles' lefties.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,332
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby pcm on Wed May 08, 2013 3:28 pm

offsides wrote:This will either be the move that is hailed as the turning point in the series or just another futile effort to stop the Pens same old playoff failure.


Or Vokoun could crap the bed in game 5. Fleury goes in, wins game game 6, and then the team finally wins a game 7 at home...

But that would be way too nerve-wracking.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,077
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 3:28 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:I really hope we look back on this move and say "Wow, that was the turning point."

One has to believe the team will collectively dig their head out of their collective posteriors and play strong.


How many turning points are we going to invent before we accept there is no such thing?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,332
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby offsides on Wed May 08, 2013 3:30 pm

pcm wrote:
offsides wrote:This will either be the move that is hailed as the turning point in the series or just another futile effort to stop the Pens same old playoff failure.


Or Vokoun could crap the bed in game 5. Fleury goes in, wins game game 6, and then the team finally wins a game 7 at home...

But that would be way too nerve-wracking.


Agree, not sure this old heart could survive that.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,413
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 3:31 pm

columbia wrote:What kills me about MAF's meltdown was that him being overworked was the excuse in the past.
Condensed schedule or not, he only had to play 33 freakin' games this year.


I believe that was his final excuse. Which is one I admittedly held on to. Now? Screw it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,979
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby PhantomJB93 on Wed May 08, 2013 3:33 pm

This team might win this series with Vokoun but unless everyone in front of him tightens things up they still won't go much farther. Then again, the best stretch of "playoff" style hockey we played all season was when Fleury went down and Vokoun took over, so maybe they actually will come out and play the way we expected them to.

I still only give us a 30% chance or less of winning this series. We've given them hope, belief and momentum, which will take any team farther than skill alone.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,442
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Puck Drama on Wed May 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Rocco wrote:
thepittman wrote:
Puck Drama wrote:
jimjom wrote:I endorse the decision, but this is something that could go very well or backfire horribly. If it goes well, ride TV until the wheels fall off and put MAF back in. If it goes wrong, TV lays an egg, MAF starts in an elimination game on the road with shaky confidence and self esteem, and it's Isles in 6.

I think the fatherhood issue has some bearing on his play. I also believe that the fans are in his head. I think the tendency to do poorly in big games is the main issue and I am not sure how that gets fixed no matter the outcome of this series.


So Fleury is a mental case. Maybe he should take up a new profession. I can't imagine Bylsma having to walk on eggs in order to not crush MAF's fragile ego.


Is that you Rocco?


I'm offended.


I'm even more offended.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Puck Drama on Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:This team might win this series with Vokoun but unless everyone in front of him tightens things up they still won't go much farther. Then again, the best stretch of "playoff" style hockey we played all season was when Fleury went down and Vokoun took over, so maybe they actually will come out and play the way we expected them to.

I still only give us a 30% chance or less of winning this series. We've given them hope, belief and momentum, which will take any team farther than skill alone.


I give the Pens a 65% or more of winning this series. Maybe 30% chance to get out of the second round.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby columbia on Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm

:lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,635
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 08, 2013 3:58 pm

They brought this guy in for a reason. Lets see how far we can ride this guy. No more excuses for the penguins now.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,121
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 pm

The Penguins are NOT going to be able to stop the Isles from transition and from forechecking/grinding down low. That is because the Isles are actually pretty good. Right now, if the Pens play exactly the same way and Vokoun plays competently, they will win the series. They would have already been done with this series if Fleury had been competent in the 2 losses and would not have needed OT in the 2nd win.

They gave him a night off in Game 1, and other than that, once he handed the Isles some confidence and the Isles stopped being in awe of the stage - he has been dreadful. Everyone around the league sees it, and everyone in the game of Hockey knows that you have to be an amazingly dominant team to overcome what Fleury has done.

I understand why they gave Fleury another chance after Game 3, but he has been terrible in 3 straight. It's why we got Vokoun, and if he fails then we are just cursed.

My point is that nobody should expect the Pens to allow 0 shots and no prime scoring chances. The Isles are fast and now confident. We need to show them that we will not be stopped offensively, and that their goalie in fact is not that good. Vokoun stops all the shots he should, and makes a big save here and there, we will win.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby NeddieVedder on Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Welp. The Wings pulled Hasek for the Oz man when they were 2-2 in round 1 in 2008 (against ... Vokoun?), didn't they?
NeddieVedder
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 am

Re: Vokoun to Start

Postby Matthew Monstar on Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm

This move is a no brainer. You don't even need to be a head coach of a professional hockey club to realize what needed to be done.


Tomas Vokoun is much more calm mentally in net. Veteran presence in net and as we've heard, he voices his opinion and guys obviously respect him and his mouth of reason.


The only concern I have is with Vokouns lateral movement and post coverage. He has a very old school/ road hockey goalie style of going post to post. With how the Islanders love to just throw random **** at the net from the side and behind the net, I'm hoping this isn't an issue.


And at the very least, this allows us to win some games, advance and give Fleury some time off to reflect and gather himself. He has great potential, has been to the show and stole it.... But he's very nervous right now.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,070
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: oHIo

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail