Dave Tippett may be available...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Dave Tippett may be available...

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 08, 2013 5:13 pm

Should things end prematurely this playoffs, another candidate for head coach might be available: Phoenix Coach (and former Penguin player) Dave Tippett:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/05 ... ave/13134/

Thoughts...?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Dave Tippett may be available...

Postby Eismann on Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Yes pl4x
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Should things end prematurely this playoffs, another candidate for head coach might be available: Phoenix Coach (and former Penguin player) Dave Tippett:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/05 ... ave/13134/

Thoughts...?

If they were to replace Bylsma with Tippett, they should hang onto Fleury because his system is exactly the type that a goalie like Fleury would flourish in. Very defense-first.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Krom on Wed May 08, 2013 7:25 pm

What's he doing Thursday night?
Krom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Tippett would re-instill a D-first system.. If he could find that money zone that HCDB found post-FHCMT in 2009.. yum. Seems to me, and I know nothing at all, but from watching PHX games over the years, that he is a demanding coach. If that is true, that could also be a nice change.

Alain Vigneault might become available in the next few weeks too..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Wed May 08, 2013 7:36 pm

I think Bylsma is safe now that he's made the decision to bench Fleury. Another bonus would be to get some speed back in the lineup. Glass isn't play much anyways so I wouldn't be surprised to see Vitale or Kennedy make an appearance, or sit Jokinen as well since he's kind out of place in this series.

I think it's worth noting that, of all the teams in the NHL, none have the speed that the Isles do, from front to back. It would cause anyone problems, and I think the thing to really hang their hat on is the quality of scoring chances has been relatively low considering the lopsided appearance of play. Hopefully, Vokoun can restore balance to the series.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 pm

wondermoose wrote:I think Bylsma is safe now that he's made the decision to bench Fleury. Another bonus would be to get some speed back in the lineup. Glass isn't play much anyways so I wouldn't be surprised to see Vitale or Kennedy make an appearance, or sit Jokinen as well since he's kind out of place in this series.

I think it's worth noting that, of all the teams in the NHL, none have the speed that the Isles do, from front to back. It would cause anyone problems, and I think the thing to really hang their hat on is the quality of scoring chances has been relatively low considering the lopsided appearance of play. Hopefully, Vokoun can restore balance to the series.

If the Pens don't make it to the ECF (at the very least), Bylsma has to be out of a job. Shero didn't load up for a first or second round exit, and as much as people might want to blame Fleury, it was Bylsma's decision to keep going with him to this point.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Bylsma isn't getting fired no matter how much sense it makes. He'll get a nice long extension Dixon-style and the media in town will cheer.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

I think Bylsma is as good as gone if the Pens don't at the least get to the conference finals.

There will be some coaches floating around this summer.. Ruff, Tippett, Vigneault (?), Boucher.. Free Agent Frenzy 2013
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Wed May 08, 2013 7:46 pm

Rocco wrote:Bylsma isn't getting fired no matter how much sense it makes. He'll get a nice long extension Dixon-style and the media in town will cheer.

I'm around enough to get the whole 'Rocco' shtick, but in fact there is no way Bylsma is back next year if this team doesn't make a helluva run into the ECF, at a minimum.

And if that is NOT the case, then I will surely lose faith in Shero AND Lemieux.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Guinness wrote: there is no way Bylsma is back next year if this team doesn't make a helluva run into the ECF, at a minimum.

That's what I'm thinking, too.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Guinness wrote:
Rocco wrote:Bylsma isn't getting fired no matter how much sense it makes. He'll get a nice long extension Dixon-style and the media in town will cheer.

I'm around enough to get the whole 'Rocco' shtick, but in fact there is no way Bylsma is back next year if this team doesn't make a helluva run into the ECF, at a minimum.

And if that is NOT the case, then I will surely lose faith in Shero AND Lemieux.

Dejan made it clear upper management has no interest in making a change.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... oster-team

I'm not guessing at that. The gentlemen who run this franchise — all of them, no exceptions, right to the top — believe in him emphatically. And I've been assured up, down and sideways that sentiment won't change based on this postseason.

This isn't shtick. The fans are the only ones who think/realize there's a problem and they don't get a vote. Management and the media lack the stomach to go after a guy who took over a team that was out of the playoffs and led them to a Cup win despite the evidence suggesting it may be time for a change.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Firebird on Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 pm

I don't understand why Glass is playing....well dressing I mean. Why have him out there for 4 minutes a game?

TK is a much better option
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Firebird wrote:I don't understand why Glass is playing....well dressing I mean. Why have him out there for 4 minutes a game?

I've been saying that the last two games, yet some posters on here were in complete disagreement, saying that TK's 7 minutes a night on the 4th line won't change anything.

I've been saying that his speed and tenacity might actually be able to get a forecheck going, something we've lacked. He's also somewhat able to plug into a top 6 role if he gets going. There's NO chance of Glass being remotely close to that.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Krom wrote:What's he doing Thursday night?

lol that's great
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Rocco wrote:
Guinness wrote:

Dejan made it clear upper management has no interest in making a change.

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... oster-team

I'm not guessing at that. The gentlemen who run this franchise — all of them, no exceptions, right to the top — believe in him emphatically. And I've been assured up, down and sideways that sentiment won't change based on this postseason.

This isn't shtick. The fans are the only ones who think/realize there's a problem and they don't get a vote. Management and the media lack the stomach to go after a guy who took over a team that was out of the playoffs and led them to a Cup win despite the evidence suggesting it may be time for a change.

I mean, there's nothing to substantiate that piece.

Obviously, DK has access that I don't, so on that basis alone his opinion is worth more than mine... but even from 2 hours away my observation is that there is no way that management will be satisfied with anything short of a deep ECF run; and if they are, then I will be sorely dissatisfied with them.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Management will just say "they didn't get to their game"
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 pm

I've said all along this team has to get into the ECF for Bylsma to keep his job all things considered. Its no fluke now with these postseason struggles with him. Its a trend. And its a horrible one at that.

If that DK article in the trib is true, and management has no interest at all in making a change no matter what, then that is incredibly disappointing. And I will refuse to ever get excited about a Bylsma coached Pens team until they prove they can do something in the playoffs.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 pm

farnham16 wrote:I've said all along this team has to get into the ECF for Bylsma to keep his job all things considered. Its no fluke now with these postseason struggles with him. Its a trend. And its a horrible one at that.

If that DK article in the trib is true, and management has no interest at all in making a change no matter what, then that is incredibly disappointing. And I will refuse to ever get excited about a Bylsma coached Pens team until they prove they can do something in the playoffs.

I saw a guy on HFboards point out that while Fleury has struggled in the last 4 playoffs, it's also the first 4 playoffs he's played behind Bylsma's system. Prior to that, he looked alright under Therrien's more defensive-minded system. So is it Fleury not being able to perform in the playoffs, an issue with Bylsma's system, or some combination of the two?

I assume Shero isn't going to be able to find a taker for Fleury, and given that they have two summers to use amnesty buyouts (2013 and 2014) I'd be really interested to see how Fleury plays under a more defensive-minded coach once again - such as Tippett - before shipping him out. As I mentioned before, the absolute worst case is you take advantage of Fleury's good performances in the regular season then start Vokoun in the playoffs.

Of course, this scenario only works if they'll dump Bylsma and replace him with a guy like Tippett.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Dejan is an idiot. Take anything he write with a huge grain of salt.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:52 pm

tfrizz wrote:
farnham16 wrote:I've said all along this team has to get into the ECF for Bylsma to keep his job all things considered. Its no fluke now with these postseason struggles with him. Its a trend. And its a horrible one at that.

I saw a guy on HFboards point out that while Fleury has struggled in the last 4 playoffs, it's also the first 4 playoffs he's played behind Bylsma's system. Prior to that, he looked alright under Therrien's more defensive-minded system. So is it Fleury not being able to perform in the playoffs, an issue with Bylsma's system, or some combination of the two?

I assume Shero isn't going to be able to find a taker for Fleury, and given that they have two summers to use amnesty buyouts (2013 and 2014) I'd be really interested to see how Fleury plays under a more defensive-minded coach once again - such as Tippett - before shipping him out. As I mentioned before, the absolute worst case is you take advantage of Fleury's good performances in the regular season then start Vokoun in the playoffs.

Of course, this scenario only works if they'll dump Bylsma and replace him with a guy like Tippett.

I really don't want to get into a new coach and future seasons because I still think there's a chance this team can turn it around, but it doesn't look great.

That being said, I would actually prefer Ruff. He's not all about offense like Bylsma and he's also not all about defense like Tippett. A nice blend I think. He really did an amazing job with very little talent in Buffalo most years.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 08, 2013 9:53 pm

farnham16 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

I really don't want to get into a new coach and future seasons because I still think there's a chance this team can turn it around, but it doesn't look great.

That being said, I would actually prefer Ruff. He's not all about offense like Bylsma and he's also not all about defense like Tippett. A nice blend I think. He really did an amazing job with very little talent in Buffalo most years.

I wouldn't mind Ruff, and you're right that he did a very good job with minimal talent in Buffalo. However, I think this team needs a healthy dose of Tippett to remind them what it's like to play a strong defensive system. They've got elite offensive talents, so they're always going to be a scoring threat regardless of the system they play.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Firebird wrote:I don't understand why Glass is playing....well dressing I mean. Why have him out there for 4 minutes a game?

Hats part of the problem, not playing the checkers more to grind down the other team. You need to invest in hitting so in the third period the other team is just dead.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Scott on Wed May 08, 2013 10:22 pm

I watched a Phoenix team all year long play with zero organization.

Also they were in the bottom half of the league in goals scored..and the bottom half of the league with goals allowed.

Sorry but I take my chances with disco before bringing in this guy. He also likes to pull his goalie down by one with nearly 3 mins to go in the game.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Dave King or Granato.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins