Lines for Game 5 ( Mad Already)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lines for Game 5 ( Mad Already)

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 am

dietz wrote:why can't hcdb see that iginla and malkin don't work?????????

Why can't you see that there are bigger problems than line combos?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 am

It doesn't matter if they work, as Geno and Neal have been getting enough points. Offense from the 2nd line is not the problem, defense is.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dhayer18 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 am

André wrote:

Last game they started to (until Geno's third period debacle). I'm optimistic.

everyone knows kunitz works with Geno and Neal and Kunitz can play LW. So more iggy with Sid and Duper why is it that everyone else knows its the right move but DB
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 am

Bylsma didn't mismanage Despres. Despres is 21 year old defenseman with limited pro experience. No amount of playing time in a 48 game season was going to prepare him to play a big role in the playoffs. He's going to struggle for a while before he really gets it. That's why you don't overexpose someone like him. That Despres has struggled is exactly why Bylsma scratched him at times. He's not ready for the big time yet. Just like Letang was a #6 defenseman and healthy scratch in his first playoffs. Despres will likely play a bigger role next year as the salary cap will prevent them from having the kind of D depth they currently enjoy.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bringitonhome on Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 am

MRandall25 wrote:

Why can't you see that there are bigger problems than line combos?

Exactly. Scoring hasnt been the problem; the problem has been the other team scoring too much.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am

Admin wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'm not big on Despres playing over Eaton. I guess that's a move to help the breakout. I just hope they aren't sacrificing too much D in the process.

I'm not sure I'd pair Despres with Letang either. :shock:

If Malkin is out while Letang and Despres are out...the Isle's will be licking their turnover-chops.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am

Remember when being a Pens fan didn't make you mad? I think that was like two weeks ago. Feels like an eternity.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 09, 2013 11:29 am

CrazyJoeDavola wrote:Adams, while slipping, I still think he does have value on the PK. He made a couple of really good plays on those early PKs last game (including the missed call when he got in on Tavares' hands).

good play since the refs missed the call. bad play if they call it correctly.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dhayer18 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 am

HockeyDaddy wrote:Remember when being a Pens fan didn't make you mad? I think that was like two weeks ago. Feels like an eternity.

back when they played Defense we are becoming the Sharks, great in the regular season but cant get out of the first round
dhayer18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:34 am

This is a minor change. But why not talk about it?

I think the 4th line works best with Jokinen-Bennett or Tyger-Adams. That way it can grind or try to score. Jokinen to Adams or Glass just doesn't result in a goal.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

Henry Hank wrote:Bylsma didn't mismanage Despres. Despres is 21 year old defenseman with limited pro experience. No amount of playing time in a 48 game season was going to prepare him to play a big role in the playoffs. He's going to struggle for a while before he really gets it. That's why you don't overexpose someone like him. That Despres has struggled is exactly why Bylsma scratched him at times. He's not ready for the big time yet. Just like Letang was a #6 defenseman and healthy scratch in his first playoffs. Despres will likely play a bigger role next year as the salary cap will prevent them from having the kind of D depth they currently enjoy.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh Bylsma mismanaged him. The guys on The Fan said so yesterday. They work in a sports related business so they must know. Plus my cousin has a buddy who knows a guy that sells beer at Consol and he said one night he was passing by DB's private bathroom and overheard him on the phone talking to his wife about how overwhelmed he was and that he was going to get back at the players by benching Despres. All of this is fact.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

dhayer18 wrote:
HockeyDaddy wrote:Remember when being a Pens fan didn't make you mad? I think that was like two weeks ago. Feels like an eternity.

back when they played Defense we are becoming the Sharks, great in the regular season but cant get out of the first round

I thought the same thing the other day. At least the Pens got a Cup with Sid once...Sharks can't say the same with their core.

I'm not saying they need to blow it up, but...

Bylsma needs to go.
MAF is not a playoff goalie anymore. Too many seasons of below post-season action.
Geno is great when he is on, but he is off he hurts the team. Never neutral, just hot or cold and hard to justify 9 million a season.

This team needs a dramatically different approach. Sure wish Barry Trotz was available.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu May 09, 2013 11:43 am

Letang has played his best hockey when he has had to cover for Despres when he roamed for hits, which will actually keep Letang under control and focus on defense. Eaton looked to be hurt in the 3rd last game anyways, I like the pairing.

Jokinen wasn't giving us any spark on the 4th, Vitale will, feel bad for Jussi and I wouldn't mind him as even a #2 center if we have to blow up the team.

It's almost sad I am happy to see Kennedy tonight.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Staggy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 am

shmenguin wrote:
CrazyJoeDavola wrote:Adams, while slipping, I still think he does have value on the PK. He made a couple of really good plays on those early PKs last game (including the missed call when he got in on Tavares' hands).

That was a good play but he cancelled it out later in the game when he led a 3 on 2 short handed rush. He didn't get it deep, he didn't pass it, he turned it over and the puck was in our net 15 seconds later. Although the reason it was an odd man break was because Letang thought it'd be a good idea jump into a rush led by Craig Adams so that play was just full of fail.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu May 09, 2013 11:46 am

Staggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

That was a good play but he cancelled it out later in the game when he led a 3 on 2 short handed rush. He didn't get it deep, he didn't pass it, he turned it over and the puck was in our net 15 seconds later. Although the reason it was an odd man break was because Letang thought it'd be a good idea jump into a rush led by Craig Adams so that play was just full of fail.

Was that when Letang carried it up to the blue line and made a bas pass for a turnover? That goal?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:47 am

DelPen wrote:Letang has played his best hockey when he has had to cover for Despres when he roamed for hits, which will actually keep Letang under control and focus on defense. Eaton looked to be hurt in the 3rd last game anyways, I like the pairing.

Jokinen wasn't giving us any spark on the 4th, Vitale will, feel bad for Jussi and I wouldn't mind him as even a #2 center if we have to blow up the team.

It's almost sad I am happy to see Kennedy tonight.

Give JJ some wingers other than Adams and Glass and you might see him contribute slightly more. I still stand by my statement that we need him for faceoffs. Vitale will win his fair share, however having the insurance out there in Jokinen for important draws is a big thing....especially since we're already struggling for puck possession.

I said after game two that we needed Kennedy and his speed and forechecking, I too am happy to see him inserted. The speed of him and Vitale will go a long way, in addition to Vokoun not allowing softies or scoring on himself.

We will win the next two games.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 am

DelPen wrote:
Staggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Was that when Letang carried it up to the blue line and made a bas pass for a turnover? That goal?

I think you're referring to the drop pass he tried to make in the middle of the ice while crossing the blueline? Or maybe it wasn't a drop pass, but it was still a turnover. It closely resembled the other failure he had with Adams that was mentioned above.

My favorite was when we were looking to tie the game late and Letang decided to cross our blueline, not gain the redline and fire a slapshot down the ice that clearly missed the net and went for icing. That play was just full of win. What goes through his head? If he wins the Norris it will be a sad day in the NHL. What a sham that would be.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 09, 2013 11:52 am

adams vitale tk = spaz line from hell

I just want to see it once for lawls.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 09, 2013 11:53 am

Beveridge wrote:adams vitale tk = spaz line from hell

We give TK a lot of crap, but he really hasn't ever looked like a "spaz" in the playoffs.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 09, 2013 11:54 am

sil wrote:
Beveridge wrote:adams vitale tk = spaz line from hell

We give TK a lot of crap, but he really hasn't ever looked like a "spaz" in the playoffs.

I mean it in a good way. As in, driving the other team mad cause he keeps on going (same for vitale)
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 09, 2013 11:55 am

stop talking about line combos in the "lines for game 5" thread, guys.

it won't matter if the pens crap all over themselves like usual. but if we "get to our game", then the way the players are arranged will make some level of difference.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CrazyJoeDavola on Thu May 09, 2013 11:55 am

Staggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

In defense of Adams, he was the first to immediately hit the breaks and begin to retreat when it became apparent that the play was a disaster. Defending Adams at this point in his career is shaky ground, so I'm definitely not all out defending him. He has been scrappy around both nets and at least noticeable in a positive way several times.

Overall, I feel like he's just better than Glass. If we are going to have to play one of them for the PK (which I believe that they do), then Adams is the better option. Save the other two spots on the forth line for either speed (Kennedy and Vitale) or skill (Jokinen and Bennett).
CrazyJoeDavola

Postby panthers1788 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:56 am

Write it down....Kennedy gets a goal tonight...that 4th line DOMINATES.
panthers1788
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby viva la ben on Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

I don't care about the lines, and I ain't even mad.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am

This is where someone should point out if Vitale was slowly worked into the PK the last two years we wouldn't need Adams
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins