Lines for Game 5 ( Mad Already)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lines for Game 5 ( Mad Already)

Postby pfim on Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 am

Jokinen's been fairly invisible, not surprised he's sitting. Surprised Despres may be getting another shot, but Eaton has been badly exposed.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 09, 2013 11:05 am

DelPen wrote:This is where someone should point out if Vitale was slowly worked into the PK the last two years we wouldn't need Adams

Thats always been weird to me. Especially since Vitale was one of Disco's most trusted PKers in WBS.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 am

"We wouldn't need Adams" and "Adams wouldn't dress" are still two totally different things.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu May 09, 2013 11:18 am

If Vitale and Kennedy are both in, I love the changes. Inject some speed into the line-up. Our defensive zone is constantly chaos, why not make their defensive zone chaos as well. Speed helps with zone time. Let's roll.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Luckybreak on Thu May 09, 2013 11:30 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
DelPen wrote:This is where someone should point out if Vitale was slowly worked into the PK the last two years we wouldn't need Adams

Thats always been weird to me. Especially since Vitale was one of Disco's most trusted PKers in WBS.

Couldn't agree more, the 4th line is crippled by Adams at ES. He was one of my favourite players but even CFA can't beat old man time (perhaps if he hears that he will actually stop time...)

Personally I'd like to see:

Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla - One of the best top lines I can possibly imagine
Morrow-Malkin-Neal - Neal's shot from RW is one of the Pens best weapons, he should not be moved! Morrow plays the 'Kunitz' role
Cooke-Jokinen-Dupuis - This solves the 3rd lines lack of speed, and JJ-Duper played well together
Vitale-Sutter-BB/TK - A ton more speed and scoring ability than Glass/Adams.

***In the above scenario HCDB has realised that Iginla and Neal are both highly effective right wings and positions them both to be most effective. He adds Morrow's crease crashing to the second line. He creates an experienced, defence minded 3rd line with a scoring touch. He trusts JJ's PK credentials and has spent the last two seasons preparing Vitale to take Adams position on the PK***
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 am

thepittman wrote:Despres-Letang

Oh man, I'd love to know what went through Vokoun's mind when he saw that pairing. It spells disaster!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 am

I can't wait till Kennedy breaks the Isles out with one of his patented shots 3 feet wide and off the boards.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu May 09, 2013 11:36 am

shmenguin wrote:9-87-12
14-71-18
24-36-10
46-16-48

dare to dream...

I have to tell you, I love the idea of those lines. I wish we would see them, but HCDB is a one-trick pony. (Got to get to our game - on the first tee.)
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am

Froggy wrote:you can't bench geno, iginla, or letang, so you bench Eaton and juicy. Still not fixing the problems we have at the top of our roster

I'll tell you what. I have no trouble benching Geno. Offense is not the problem - stupidity is. Stupid passes, stupid retaliations, stupid plays. I would bench him and send a message to the rest - stupidity and childish behavior will not be tolerated. Tuesday I really thought we were going to see a repeat of the childish meltdown from last year's Flyer series.

This team needs to focus on business, win the individual battles, and take out the trash!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 am

Admin wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I'm not big on Despres playing over Eaton. I guess that's a move to help the breakout. I just hope they aren't sacrificing too much D in the process.

I'm not sure I'd pair Despres with Letang either. :shock:

Letang - Despres never got a legit chance to work out at the start of the season. Who can Letang play with if you don't break up the other 2 pairs? I feel people on here have such tunnel vision with Eaton. Mark Eaton HAS NO SPEED. I'll be surprised if he's even in the NHL next year. He really is incredibly slow. So we are going to keep putting Eaton with our fastest defenseman? The best for transition play, when he's the worst because of his speed?

Eaton is a great veteran bottom pair for this run.
Engelland is a great #7 fill in guy.
Niskanen is a great #5, nothing more.

Simon Despres should have been given the Position beside Letang in January. "Despres, you have 48 games to figure this out, good luck"

Instead he was benched for a #7 AHL caliber scrub defenseman and Bylsma continually screwed with his minutes and consistency.

I stand by my earlier comments in the season. After Martin & Letang, Despres is our #3 best defenseman in the organization. You just have to play through these rookies man. Give them the regular season, and Bylsma is biting it now...

pfim wrote:Jokinen's been fairly invisible, not surprised he's sitting. Surprised Despres may be getting another shot, but Eaton has been badly exposed.

I called this happening.
Last edited by Nizzy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby booboo on Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 am

dhayer18 wrote:
14-71-18
24-36-10
46-16-48

dare to dream...

why would you put 12 with 87 ? thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :scared:

Adds up to 99. Is that wrong?
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu May 09, 2013 11:59 am

booboo wrote:
dhayer18 wrote:
14-71-18
24-36-10
46-16-48

dare to dream...

why would you put 12 with 87 ? thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :scared:

Adds up to 99. Is that wrong?

and if you take that 99 and flip it you get 66 so that must mean...

he's the best shape of his life :)
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Thu May 09, 2013 12:00 pm

since iginla, malkin, and neal are all pretty useless at even strength, keep them together as a 4th line so they don't spread their stink around. use them on the top unit power play, but don't give them significant ES minutes because they aren't doing anything significant with those minutes.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu May 09, 2013 12:03 pm

Admin wrote:Image
:fist:

lol, that pic is pure awesomeness
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby beachinit on Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 pm

We have some speed on the 4th line and Vitale handles faceoffs fairly well. As I posted in another area earlier Pens win 4-1

Goal Scorers
Malkin
Neal
Kennedy
Dupper (Empty Netter)
beachinit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

The PK has been excellent in this series, and Adams is a huge part of that. Cannot sit adams. Even sitting down Glass, for that reason, is a little worrisome. I understand it though.

I'd like to see some more speed on the 3rd line. Cooke and Morrow are bruisers, but not really that fast. We can't get a great forcheck on them if we can't keep up with them. I wouldn't mind someone like Jokinen, Kennedy, Bennett etc on the 3rd line RW for Cooke, and bumping Cooke down to 4th line LW.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm

tfrizz wrote:
thepittman wrote:Despres-Letang

Oh man, I'd love to know what went through Vokoun's mind when he saw that pairing. It spells disaster!

Probably this...

"Can you put Flower back in?" :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm

Neal on the LW is an improvement (with Iginla on RW). As is the added speed of Vitale.

Blysma's not dumb, he's just so darned stubborn that it takes him this long to figure out that (1) speed on the 4th line and (2) players on their natural wings /with sticks to the boards/ would match up best against NYI.

Still more things for him to figure out though. Hopefully he doesn't run out of time...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Thu May 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Froggy wrote:since iginla, malkin, and neal are all pretty useless at even strength, keep them together as a 4th line so they don't spread their stink around. use them on the top unit power play, but don't give them significant ES minutes because they aren't doing anything significant with those minutes.

Except for the 2 ES goals they scored the last game?
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:The PK has been excellent in this series, and Adams is a huge part of that. Cannot sit adams. Even sitting down Glass, for that reason, is a little worrisome. I understand it though.

I'd like to see some more speed on the 3rd line. Cooke and Morrow are bruisers, but not really that fast. We can't get a great forcheck on them if we can't keep up with them. I wouldn't mind someone like Jokinen, Kennedy, Bennett etc on the 3rd line RW for Cooke, and bumping Cooke down to 4th line LW.

Glass was the least used forward on the PK in game four.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 pm

If Crosby is so adamant about continuing to play with Kunitz & Dupuis despite the fact that breaking that line up makes the entire line-up stronger, then I would put Morrow on Malkin and Neal's line and have a third line of Cooke-Suter-Iginla.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu May 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Bylsma didn't mismanage Despres. Despres is 21 year old defenseman with limited pro experience. No amount of playing time in a 48 game season was ugoing to prepare him to play a big role in the playoffs. He's going to struggle for a while before he really gets it. That's why you don't overexpose someone like him. That Despres has struggled is exactly why Bylsma scratched him at times. He's not ready for the big time yet. Just like Letang was a #6 defenseman and healthy scratch in his first playoffs. Despres will likely play a bigger role next year as the salary cap will prevent them from having the kind of D depth they currently enjoy.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh Bylsma mismanaged him. The guys on The Fan said so yesterday. They work in a sports related business so they must know. Plus my cousin has a buddy who knows a guy that sells beer at Consol and he said one night he was passing by DB's private bathroom and overheard him on the phone talking to his wife about how overwhelmed he was and that he was going to get back at the players by benching Despres. All of this is fact.

Blame the coach! Sssshhhhh dont tell anyone he was horrid in his own end an even scratched in WBS this year - so two coaches mismanaged him! What bad luck.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm

pfim wrote:Jokinen's been fairly invisible, not surprised he's sitting. Surprised Despres may be getting another shot, but Eaton has been badly exposed.

100% in faceoffs during game 4
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Thu May 09, 2013 1:02 pm

But he only took six faceoffs. Considering that Vitale is really strong on draws, I don't think that's a compelling reason to play Jokinen if he's not doing much else. If someone in the top six goes down, Jokinen is a great guy to plug in. I think they need something different from the fourth line and Vitale will bring that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Henry Hank wrote:But he only took six faceoffs. Considering that Vitale is really strong on draws, I don't think that's a compelling reason to play Jokinen if he's not doing much else. If someone in the top six goes down, Jokinen is a great guy to plug in. I think they need something different from the fourth line and Vitale will bring that.

I have confidence in Jokinen filling in Sid or Geno but not digging him as a grinder.

I can see now why he fell out of favor in Carolina after they brought Staal in.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins