Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm

I don't disagree, Tico, but that's not my point.

I'm just pointing out that out of all the players who deserve criticism, Malkin seems to be the only untouchable one. If you say "Malkin had a bad turnover" or "Malkin needs to play better in the defensive zone", some on this board act like you're saying Malkin is the worst player in the league and label you a "hater" and say "you only hate him because he's Russian" or some stupid crap like that.

I don't get the double standard. Why should Malkin be immune to criticism of terrible play when he is playing bad when everyone else on the team is fair game?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,711
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby Penspal on Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Malkin can go out and play defense like Ovi, but then, in the same shift, get the puck, take it all the way down and setup a tap in goal!

Amazing and frustrating in the same breath.

I'd be willing to say that his offense and his big game play puts him in contention, but his defensive play, especially early in games, has been atrocius.

TSN analysts are noticing it & pointing it out during the games (and in their between period analysis) and of course, he contributes in the tying & winning goal. Aaron Ward called it when he said he can be Jekyll & Hyde in the same game.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,393
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't disagree, Tico, but that's not my point.

I'm just pointing out that out of all the players who deserve criticism, Malkin seems to be the only untouchable one. If you say "Malkin had a bad turnover" or "Malkin needs to play better in the defensive zone", some on this board act like you're saying Malkin is the worst player in the league and label you a "hater" and say "you only hate him because he's Russian" or some stupid crap like that.

I don't get the double standard. Why should Malkin be immune to criticism of terrible play when he is playing bad when everyone else on the team is fair game?


I don't think that is a problem it all, I see a lot of distaste for Malkin on this forum.

My definition of both our stars-

Crosby = Flashy takes moderate chances with limited risk, but doesn't win big games.

Malkin = Flashy forces plays with high risk, wins big games.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby bh on Mon May 13, 2013 12:47 pm

lolwhat? you don't think Sid wins big games?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

For instance-

Crosby splitting the D for a goal in a game where it didn't matter- Game 5

Malkin making a variety of risky plays, which eventually payed off for the series win - Game 6

It was the story throughout the 2009 playoffs, Crosby was almost invisible that cup run.
Last edited by thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks, pittman!

You just made sure this thread continues for about 20 more pages now. :lol:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,285
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby bh on Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm

oh, hai
Image
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 pm

bh wrote:lolwhat? you don't think Sid wins big games?


I think Sid is a key part of winning them, but Malkin somehow does something ridiculous to finish them off.
Last edited by thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 pm

bh wrote:oh, hai
Image


:face:

This is the Pittsburgh Penguins we are talking about, take that to NPR
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Beveridge wrote:Thanks, pittman!

You just made sure this thread continues for about 20 more pages now. :lol:

:fist:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby bh on Mon May 13, 2013 12:57 pm

thepittman wrote:For instance-

Crosby splitting the D for a goal in a game where it didn't matter- Game 5

Malkin making a variety of risky plays, which eventually payed off for the series win - Game 6

It was the story throughout the 2009 playoffs, Crosby was almost invisible that cup run.

I... wh. . . . :face:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,497
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 13, 2013 1:03 pm

I think it was sarcasm to augment the silly tone of the thread...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,099
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 pm

This might just turn out to be the first thread in interwebs history that ends deleting itself out of shame and disgust.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,717
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby pcm on Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 pm

When Crosby's off, he makes a bunch of boneheaded mistakes as well, giving the puck away just as much as Malkin. It just seems like Malkin can be off his game/on his game in the same game, while Crosby is off his game for 2-3 games every 10 games or so.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,102
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby Troy Loney on Mon May 13, 2013 1:14 pm

thepittman wrote:For instance-

Crosby splitting the D for a goal in a game where it didn't matter- Game 5

Malkin making a variety of risky plays, which eventually payed off for the series win - Game 6

It was the story throughout the 2009 playoffs, Crosby was almost invisible that cup run.



Invisible is a bit harsh.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... me=summary
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,882
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby k0la on Mon May 13, 2013 1:15 pm

thepittman wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I don't disagree, Tico, but that's not my point.

I'm just pointing out that out of all the players who deserve criticism, Malkin seems to be the only untouchable one. If you say "Malkin had a bad turnover" or "Malkin needs to play better in the defensive zone", some on this board act like you're saying Malkin is the worst player in the league and label you a "hater" and say "you only hate him because he's Russian" or some stupid crap like that.

I don't get the double standard. Why should Malkin be immune to criticism of terrible play when he is playing bad when everyone else on the team is fair game?


I don't think that is a problem it all, I see a lot of distaste for Malkin on this forum.

My definition of both our stars-

Crosby = Flashy takes moderate chances with limited risk, but doesn't win big games.

Malkin = Flashy forces plays with high risk, wins big games.


I'd say both take big risks. Difference is Crosby does it more with the puck, so if he coughs it up, Kunitz or Dupuis is usually behind him and will backcheck. Malkin however is going for the pass, and when he misses, Neal is way ahead of the play. So Malkin's mistakes are more dangerous than Crosby's. I want to see Malkin take it deep more, his best plays in the Isles series was when he came with speed and held onto the puck all the way untill he had a clear pass to a shooter.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:47 am
Location: Inside Malkin's head

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 13, 2013 1:18 pm

what is happening right now
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,454
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I think the 1st round did a number on all of us.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,717
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Image
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,685
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Image
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby headh on Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 pm

slappybrown wrote:what is happening right now


Pittsburgh Penguin fans consider it trolling when you start a thread claiming that a Pittsburgh Penguin is a great player deserving of winning major awards.

Even if that great player is leading the NHL in scoring.

Apparently points don't matter and are very misleading

#71 is the worst turnover machine in the league even if he doesn't lead his own team in turnovers and the league leader has twice as many to's

Apparently the NHL website is not an accurate or reliable source regarding NHL statistics

Only Sid demands our respect

yet only Geno fans back Geno irrationally

Having won a Conn Smythe four years ago is ancient history

Having won an MVP last season (while not ancient history) is certainly not a good reason to think of #71 as being the best player in the NHL RIGHT NOW

I think you are caught up now but the twists keep on coming

for example we have a guy just now claiming that Sid isn't clutch but Geno is clutch....i think...not sure but apparently the Gold Medal around sid is less than
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:07 am

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby thepittman on Mon May 13, 2013 1:41 pm

headh wrote:
slappybrown wrote:what is happening right now


Pittsburgh Penguin fans consider it trolling when you start a thread claiming that a Pittsburgh Penguin is a great player deserving of winning major awards.

Even if that great player is leading the NHL in scoring.

Apparently points don't matter and are very misleading

#71 is the worst turnover machine in the league even if he doesn't lead his own team in turnovers and the league leader has twice as many to's

Apparently the NHL website is not an accurate or reliable source regarding NHL statistics

Only Sid demands our respect

yet only Geno fans back Geno irrationally

Having won a Conn Smythe four years ago is ancient history

Having won an MVP last season (while not ancient history) is certainly not a good reason to think of #71 as being the best player in the NHL RIGHT NOW

I think you are caught up now but the twists keep on coming

for example we have a guy just now claiming that Sid isn't clutch but Geno is clutch....i think...not sure but apparently the Gold Medal around sid is less than


Good recap :thumb:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,098
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby SolidSnake on Mon May 13, 2013 1:43 pm

This team ain't big enough for Sid and Malkin

Image
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Anyone heard bill burr's bit about the guy in Target? If so...the last few pages of this thread remind me a lot of that. Specifically involving the guy thats peering out from the back room in Target.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,685
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Trade them both and tank for McDavid! Hit the reset button. I hope Gary is reading this. Rig that lottery one more time!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,628
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

e-mail