Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby count2infinity on Fri May 10, 2013 9:16 am

Last night, yes. I'm talking about the last 5 games.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby headh on Fri May 10, 2013 10:05 am

count2infinity wrote:Last night, yes. I'm talking about the last 5 games.

I'll concede that he can be reckless in his play and that he can make mistakes due to his aggression and reckless play. I think an under-discussed move is reuniting the 14-71-18 line. Kunitz brings a level of defensive responsibility to that unit that is necessary. Neal and Geno simply don't think that way. Now I suppose we could all piss and moan about how we wish they would change but to me putting a guy like Kunitz with them sets the ice on fire. It's gonna be fun to see which line out performs the other..I don't know how it's gonna turn out but I'm still betting on Geno. he's just other level good when he's got these two players as his wings....imo

14-71-18

vs

9-87-12
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 2:50 pm

If the pens go far, Malkin has to hope for Crosby to disappear in the playoffs again like in 2009.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 2:50 pm

Or maybe Vokoun gets it :pop:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Anyone find it weird that they used to award it to players on teams that lost the series? What is the point of being MVP if you don't lead your team to victory?

I guess I'll never understand that and the fact that ties can/have been be part of professional sports.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm

thepittman wrote:Anyone find it weird that the used to award it to players on teams that lost the series? What is the point of being MVP if you don't lead your team to victory?

Used to? They still do/can. And no, it goes to the most valuable player of the playoffs. He doesn't have to win, but he generally does anyway...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 pm

mikey287 wrote:
thepittman wrote:Anyone find it weird that the used to award it to players on teams that lost the series? What is the point of being MVP if you don't lead your team to victory?

Used to? They still do/can. And no, it goes to the most valuable player of the playoffs. He doesn't have to win, but he generally does anyway...

I say used to because it hasn't been done in 25 years, that usually sets some kind of precedence. Kind of like military regulations leading to firing squads over minor incidents and throwing hay bales out of a third story window in Philadelphia
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:33 pm

2003? Though, I don't necessarily agree with the choice.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 pm

thepittman wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

I say used to because it hasn't been done in 25 years, that usually sets some kind of precedence. Kind of like military regulations leading to firing squads over minor incidents and throwing hay bales out of a third story window in Philadelphia

Giguère won it in 2003 with the Ducks. It was only 10 years ago.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm

JOHN SABASTCHUN JIGAIR
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm

I missed the yellow color on the key on wikipedia. Whoops
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Fri May 10, 2013 3:47 pm

wat
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 3:51 pm

thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 3:55 pm

wat
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Fri May 10, 2013 4:15 pm

count2infinity wrote:
André wrote:I don't think that's a given.

Geno's minuses (the costly turnovers and the stupid hold) is worse than Sid's worst moments but throughout the series he has created more chances on equal strength. Sid's line was -3 before last night, and invisible before the 3-0 goal.

I'm really optimistic about what Geno and the second line will do.

That goes for Sid and the first too of course. If I made a bet now I'd put my money on Sid for the Conn Smythe. I guess last year goes to Geno but overall these past three years Crosby's found a new level of play and production and he is the best player in the world. I just want to point out I think Geno's created more offense so far, and the turnovers has everyone blind about how good he's been offensively. Extremely strong on the puck, could've had another goal and a number of more assists easily.

have you actually watched the games? or are you just looking at the stats? I know his production in the offensive zone, but Crosby has just been head and shoulders above Malkin thus far.

I've watched all games, and I think what you're saying is weird. Minus the major, stand out gaffes people seem to overlook Geno's created more chances on equal strength. "Head and shoulders above" is just wrong. Watch the replays. Or you just don't know what to look for.

Minus a fantastic goal and an awesome assist Sid was actually relatively quiet last night.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 4:25 pm

André wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

Geno's minuses (the costly turnovers and the stupid hold) is worse than Sid's worst moments but throughout the series he has created more chances on equal strength. Sid's line was -3 before last night, and invisible before the 3-0 goal.

That goes for Sid and the first too of course. If I made a bet now I'd put my money on Sid for the Conn Smythe. I guess last year goes to Geno but overall these past three years Crosby's found a new level of play and production and he is the best player in the world. I just want to point out I think Geno's created more offense so far, and the turnovers has everyone blind about how good he's been offensively. Extremely strong on the puck, could've had another goal and a number of more assists easily.

have you actually watched the games? or are you just looking at the stats? I know his production in the offensive zone, but Crosby has just been head and shoulders above Malkin thus far.

I've watched all games, and I think what you're saying is weird. Minus the major, stand out gaffes people seem to overlook Geno's created more chances on equal strength. "Head and shoulders above" is just wrong. Watch the replays. Or you just don't know what to look for.

Minus a fantastic goal and an awesome assist Sid was actually relatively quiet last night.

Geno has had some :face: moments, but overall I think he is doing well.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Fri May 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Many penguin fans are so pro Sidney Crosby that they have to take a con Evgeni Malkin stance in order to feel good about themselves.

I have started two pro geno threads in the past two months and been accused of "trolling" in each thread. Last I checked geno was a penguin and a great penguin. He is well on his way to dominating another Stanley Cup run and yet he's ridiculed and so is anyone who enjoys his play. Silly
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 pm

The reason why this thread is getting panned because there isn't much accurate about the original post. That's all.

As a fan base, we love Geno and are thankful for what he's done for us to date.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Sat May 11, 2013 2:51 am

I love Mikey287's post and wish it was that simple. At times, however, the first lines in the OP's last post just above Mikey's have been true.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby muffinarm on Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 am

Conn Smythe in giveaways? Check.

Lolz
muffinarm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sat May 11, 2013 10:48 am

André wrote:
count2infinity wrote:

Was that last part sarcasm?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby headh on Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 pm

That's his best point total for a playoff series in his career Yeah I'd say the Conn Smythe is a possibility
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby wondermoose on Sat May 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Right before he dished it to Martin for the goal, I told my dog "Come on, Geno, it only takes one moment."

He had an absolutely miserable game for the first 55 minutes, but he's got the ability to change the outcome in a heartbeat.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malksby8771 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Yea 2 huge assists for geno when we needed him most. 1 on 4 with no help on the 3rd goal too
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sat May 11, 2013 10:34 pm

wondermoose wrote:Right before he dished it to Martin for the goal, I told my dog "Come on, Geno, it only takes one moment."

He had an absolutely miserable game for the first 55 minutes, but he's got the ability to change the outcome in a heartbeat.

That is why he gets paid the big bucks. Malkin's is well on his way to great things these playoffs.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins