Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Geno running for another Conn Smythe

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Malkin turned it on when the team needed it most tonight. He needs to be more consistent, but it's hard to argue against 11 points in 6 games.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Sat May 11, 2013 10:55 pm

You can question other stuff with Geno, but not his desire or committment. You could tell how badly he wanted it, and he forced the action on both the tying and winning goals.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:57 pm

Shakes wrote:You can question other stuff with Geno, but not his desire or committment. You could tell how badly he wanted it, and he forced the action on both the tying and winning goals.

He didn't seem to "want" it until there were less than 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Would be nice if he tried the other 83% of the game
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Shakes wrote:You can question other stuff with Geno, but not his desire or committment. You could tell how badly he wanted it, and he forced the action on both the tying and winning goals.

I would actually question his desire and commitment. He's constantly called out for his lazy play at times, especially in the defensive zone. Last game he was unreal defensively, then tonight he was pretty bad for most of the game.

I know he wants to win badly, he just has to start proving it better with his on ice actions. Tonight late in the game and in OT he did a great job and just proved HOW he can play. If he has this desire and commitment, please start showing it full time Geno!
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

He didn't seem to "want" it until there were less than 10 minutes left in the 3rd. Would be nice if he tried the other 83% of the game

I'm frustrated by him when our team was getting outplayed in stretches of the series, but he did elevate his play when it mattered.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

To be fair, no one on the team seemed to want it this entire game. Malkin made it happen for the team at the end.

And Vokoun of course.
Last edited by farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

I'm frustrated by him when our team was getting outplayed in stretches of the series, but he did elevate his play when it mattered.

We wouldn't have made it to OT if he had tried the entire game. The entire game should matter. Not just the last half of the last period.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 pm

This Geno hate has reached THANKS OBAMA levels. I'm going to get my gifs ready to go tomorrow, since I don't have to watch a game thanks to Geno (and Vokoun).
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Well, I disagree that he wasn't "trying" for the rest of the game. It sucks the Isles were the hungrier team throughout the series.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:13 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:This Geno hate has reached THANKS OBAMA levels. I'm going to get my gifs ready to go tomorrow, since I don't have to watch a game thanks to Geno (and Vokoun).

The Penguins could win the Cup this year with Geno winning the Conn Symthe again, but if he came out to start next season with only 15 points through 20 games this board would be all over him. The Malkin hate has been ongoing since after his rookie year. And it will never stop.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Let me just say that I haven't cared one way or another on Malkin until this series. He and Letang have made me :face: way too many times this series. It's mind-boggling how players that good can be that idiotic with the puck.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 pm

I really struggle to understand the malkin-bashing. He has 11 freaking points and is an even +/-. If he were a -5 or something I might understand. Not saying he's above criticism; but he's an asset not a liability. And a big asset at that.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:21 pm

GaryRissling wrote:I really struggle to understand the malkin-bashing. He has 11 freaking points and is an even +/-. If he were a -5 or something I might understand. Not saying he's above criticism; but he's an asset not a liability. And a big asset at that.

Oh I understand the hate.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:23 pm

He wouldn't be so easy to hate if he didn't play the majority of this series like he had his head up his ass. He was definitely more of a liability than he was an asset this series.

The stat line is extremely misleading, given Malkin's play.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GaryRissling on Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

farnham16 wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:I really struggle to understand the malkin-bashing. He has 11 freaking points and is an even +/-. If he were a -5 or something I might understand. Not saying he's above criticism; but he's an asset not a liability. And a big asset at that.

Oh I understand the hate.

No doubt-- I wonder how many people who categorized Malkin's bad give-away in game 4 as "selfish" will apply the same terminology to Letang's bad giveaway tonight when they were damn near identical.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I don't think I've ever seen Evgeni Malkin look like he didn't want to be anywhere but on the ice. You guys are nuts when you think he's mailing it in. If anything, he wants it too badly sometimes and goes into turnover-mode by trying to force the issue.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:He wouldn't be so easy to hate if he didn't play the majority of this series like he had his head up his ass. He was definitely more of a liability than he was an asset this series.

He led the entire team in points with 11. How in the world is that more of a liability?

Look, he needs to cut out the turnovers. There is no question about it. But the ENTIRE team was terrible with the puck this series. To single out Malkin in this regard is really dishonest. Letang was far worse with the puck this series than Malkin was for example. And Malkin was the dude who stepped up tonight when the team looked dead in the water.

And ever hating a guy who has accomplished as much as Malkin has for this organization is just mind blowing to me.
Last edited by farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:26 pm

wondermoose wrote:I don't think I've ever seen Evgeni Malkin look like he didn't want to be anywhere but on the ice. You guys are nuts when you think he's mailing it in. If anything, he wants it too badly sometimes and goes into turnover-mode by trying to force the issue.

Yeah this. Never questioned his effort. He makes some not so smart plays at times, but normally he makes up for them, and he comes up big when needed. That's what big game players do.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:27 pm

wondermoose wrote:I don't think I've ever seen Evgeni Malkin look like he didn't want to be anywhere but on the ice. You guys are nuts when you think he's mailing it in. If anything, he wants it too badly sometimes and goes into turnover-mode by trying to force the issue.

I'm not referring to the offensive zone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:28 pm

This is a good example of how stats can fail us.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sat May 11, 2013 11:29 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Let me just say that I haven't cared one way or another on Malkin until this series. He and Letang have made me :face: way too many times this series. It's mind-boggling how players that good can be that idiotic with the puck.

This is valid criticism to an extent because Geno and the whole team made too-many-to-count poor decisions with the puck in this series, many of them with no pressure.

Geno definitely had his share, including that inexcusable play that led to JT's winning goal in Game 4.

But..........this has nothing to do with his desire or "want." If anything, he does these things becase he always wants to create something, from everywhere, not because he's lazy or apathetic.

That's his hockey DNA, which also is why he had 11 freaking points in the series.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Malkin is still injured. If taking a week off can fix him, he should think about doing it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 pm

And its laughable to call Malkin lazy. That backcheck he had on the PP to block a shot that saved a goal really was lazy wasn't it.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Sat May 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Malkin picked it up huge towards the end of the game. He made several huge defensive plays, even. That just proves why he's so frustrating. If he played like that a lot earlier, that's another reason this series wouldn't have been this close. The points are great, but they need his head in the game more in other ways.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:32 pm

farnham16 wrote:And its laughable to call Malkin lazy. That backcheck he had on the PP to block a shot that saved a goal really was lazy wasn't it.

One play does not make an overall body of work.

Again, I'm not "hating" on Malkin. I'm being realistic. He played like **** for the majority of this series. The stat line is not a good indicator of his play.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins