OFFICIAL GDT: NYI v PIT (ECQF - GAME 5)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL GDT: NYI v PIT (ECQF - GAME 5)

Postby Shakes on Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
npv708 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Is EPP curently in NY? He probably was celebrating a Penguins goal and some Isles fan tried to kick his ass.

I'm not just in NY I'm in Massapequa, the geographical center of Idles country. :)

Home of Jerry Seinfeld

I mean, what's the deal with Arena food?

Why would you change the nachos? And who has a contract with RC Cola?

I sold in the RC Cola deal. :D
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Headshot77 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Shakes wrote:

Amazing. I feel like this would be the perfect setup for one of those "history will be (re)made" commercials. Someone make it happen!
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 am

That is creepily cool.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 am

Trip McNeely wrote:One thing I noticed at the game today that I haven't noticed before: Vokoun only makes saves when the shot is on the frame. What I mean by that is that he covers the net really well, but if the shot is off target, he let's it fly by into the corner. One shot in particular i thought had a chance of going in. Vokoun reacted and stuck out his left pad but only to just outside the post. The shot went wide and the pens created a breakout from it. It's a huge difference when you watch Fleury. MAF is so athletic that he makes pad saves even when the shot isn't a danger to go in.

With a team like the Pens who aren't very good at clearing the front of the net, kicking out shots that aren't going in cause a lot of problems. It gives the opponent second chances that shouldnt be second chances because they are off the frame. This might be why Fleury looks average in playoff games where teams crash the net to the nth degree. Vokoun lets pucks miss the net when they are missing the net, and that alone kills much of the forecheck that the isles might have going. It's keeps rebound opportunities to a minimum and even can help with the breakout when shots ring off the corner glass.

Bingo
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 am

I always felt Fleury needed to simplify his game and go back to simple fundamentals. Then you could add his athleticism and make a super goalie. Maybe problem all along has been the wrong goalie coach.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stick_Flex on Fri May 10, 2013 12:27 am

Sarcastic wrote:I always felt Fleury needed to simplify his game and go back to simple fundamentals. Then you could add his athleticism and make a super goalie. Maybe problem all along has been the wrong goalie coach.

The problem is in his head. What does a goalie coach going to teach fleury that he doesn't already know?
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 10, 2013 12:30 am

Stick_Flex wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I always felt Fleury needed to simplify his game and go back to simple fundamentals. Then you could add his athleticism and make a super goalie. Maybe problem all along has been the wrong goalie coach.

The problem is in his head. What does a goalie coach going to teach fleury that he doesn't already know?

Emotionally, it's in his head, of course, but maybe a better coach could beat some sense into him and make him play a simple game. He does not play a simple game... he makes many routine stops look acrobatic for no reason. That's his style.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby marek on Fri May 10, 2013 1:12 am

You've got a roster of incredible talent... Just give them the opportunity and put them in the best position to do the best job they can.
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Waffles on Fri May 10, 2013 4:24 am

mariojr wrote:Great win. Now, we MUST win Game 6. 0-6 in Game 7 after losing Game 6, including 0-2 in recent history. I am still worried that DB will see fit to put Fleury back in goal.

They won game 7 after losing game 6 in OT versus Washington in '09.
Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

mariojr wrote:Great win. Now, we MUST win Game 6. 0-6 in Game 7 after losing Game 6, including 0-2 in recent history. I am still worried that DB will see fit to put Fleury back in goal.

Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Waffles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rgj on Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 am

BurghThing wrote:
skullman80 wrote:No way they go with Poulin. He sucks worse than Nabakov.

Its poulan Ed, poulan.

Aren't "Poulins" some sort of chain saw?
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 am

Stick_Flex wrote:

Fleury will be fine. Wouldn't be the first time a team had a top-notch back up win 2-3 games on the way to a cup.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Stick_Flex wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I always felt Fleury needed to simplify his game and go back to simple fundamentals. Then you could add

Fleury will be fine. Wouldn't be the first time a team had a top-notch back up win 2-3 games on the way to a cup.

his athleticism and make a super goalie. Maybe problem all along has been the wrong goalie coach.

This. One thing about MAF, his head has been eff'd with going all the way back to his days at WBS. He has an uncanny ability to shake things off and just concentrate on the task at hand.
I've never seen an NHL goalie melt down as drastically as MAF did on Tuesday, but if anyone can recover from that its Marc-Andre.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 9:07 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Stick_Flex wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I always felt Fleury needed to simplify his game and go back to simple fundamentals. Then you could add

his athleticism and make a super goalie. Maybe problem all along has been the wrong goalie coach.

This. One thing about MAF, his head has been eff'd with going all the way back to his days at WBS. He has an uncanny ability to shake things off and just concentrate on the task at hand.
I've never seen an NHL goalie melt down as drastically as MAF did on Tuesday, but if anyone can recover from that its Marc-Andre.

And then he'll melt down again. *sob*
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins