Did Fleury play his last game as a Penguin?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

?!?!?!?!?

Fleury's gone
20%
At least next season
24%
Resign?
5%
Kittens
52%

Total votes : 106

Re: Did Fleury play his last game as a Penguin?

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 10, 2013 3:25 am

I heard Malkin is headed to Los Angeles for Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and a hot chicken sandwich.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 10, 2013 3:57 am

At least Fleury has a Cup to his name...I'd be afraid with Luongo. Well, more afraid than I am now with Fleury.

Sarcastic wrote:I heard Malkin is headed to Los Angeles for Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and a hot chicken sandwich.

At least the sandwich won't be on the ground every five seconds and give up 4 goals per game...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 am

Kittens. Always kittens.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri May 10, 2013 5:46 am

Vokoun did what he needed to last night - but the team put a better effort on the ice. Vokoun looked shaky that first period, but once the team settled into the game a bit - they kept the lanes clear, the rebounds away, and actually only deflected 1 puck into their own net area as opposed to the 6 or so we've been seeing - it was easy street.

Even the really good Vokoun saves were a matter of cutting the angle. I think Fluery would have struggled with those last night simply because I don't think he would have had confidence that his defense would actually make the plays they needed to.

The islanders didn't get traffic last night, Vokoun (not no goalie really) does well with crashing traffic. Hopefully the penguins keep the zone clean and they finish it out sat with Vokoun in net.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Fri May 10, 2013 6:29 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:Vokoun did what he needed to last night - but the team put a better effort on the ice. Vokoun looked shaky that first period, but once the team settled into the game a bit - they kept the lanes clear, the rebounds away, and actually only deflected 1 puck into their own net area as opposed to the 6 or so we've been seeing - it was easy street.

Even the really good Vokoun saves were a matter of cutting the angle. I think Fluery would have struggled with those last night simply because I don't think he would have had confidence that his defense would actually make the plays they needed to.

The islanders didn't get traffic last night, Vokoun (not no goalie really) does well with crashing traffic. Hopefully the penguins keep the zone clean and they finish it out sat with Vokoun in net.

:thumb:
It's amazing how good either of our GTs look when the team plays hard in front of them. TV was allowed to fight through a shaky first because the team was clearing rebounds and contesting everything. The save on okposo was one of those pucks that was finding its way thru maf.

I still believe that it will be difficult to win a cup without an in-the-zone maf in the net, but, for now, that's not an option. We shall see if it becomes one moving forward.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lifetimefan on Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 am

Flower will be back in for game 1 round 2. Luongo will not be in Pittsburgh, he will be back on Long Island. They are in need of a goalie and will reunite.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kovy27 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:55 am

Obviously. He's to blame for all the defensive issues and cockiness of the Pens in game 2,3,4. :scared:

lifetimefan wrote:Flower will be back in for game 1 round 2. Luongo will not be in Pittsburgh, he will be back on Long Island. They are in need of a goalie and will reunite.

After the performance of Reimer during these playoffs, he'll end up in TO.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri May 10, 2013 6:59 am

Is this still E4 or has it been upgraded to E5 yet?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby silentom on Fri May 10, 2013 7:11 am

This thread gives me a sad. I fully expect Marc to bounce back to excellent form before this is all over.

Maybe I'm just an optimist, though.
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:29 am

Has Fleury ever had "excellent form"?

(inb4 Lidstromsave.jpeg)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri May 10, 2013 7:39 am

Scott wrote:When are people going to understand that you can't just cut and release an NHL player. It is 2013 folks. The salary cap???? You can't just cut a player loose and eat the rest of the contract punishment free. If you get rid of him he will still count whatever his salary is against the cap. For the term of his contract as well.

Not that it's going to happen, but you can actually buyout a player for nothing this year. See: scott gomez, wade redden, new cba. You been under a rock all year?
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 am

Starting Vokoun was the perfect way to get the guys playing again. Who knows how the rest of these playoffs will play out. For last night it was the perfect jump start. We could still see Fleury. Atleast Vokoun didn't allow any goals from behind the goal line.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 am

I think there's a 70/30 chance that we will see MAF will start S2/G1 (assuming it happens).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 am

Kittens. Flower will be back and make us proud.

Vokoun, Kennedy, Vitale and Despres did exactly what they were supposed to do. Inject some energy and speed into the lineup. Vokoun was a stop-gap to clear Flower's mind. Had Flower crapped the bed last night, we for sure wouldn't see his confidence back at all.

Guys play much better when they know others can take their job and guys play much better when they are back in the job they lost. All in all, savvy moves by Bylsma. :thumb:
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Has Fleury ever had "excellent form"?

(inb4 Lidstromsave.jpeg)

:pop: I don't think thats an argument for excellent form. Awful form maybe.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:11 am

Henry Hank wrote:Unlikely either way. If they lose game six I could see them going back to him, in which case game seven likely will be his last game. If they win this series, I can see him eventually getting the call again. If Vokoun continues to come through, they should seriously consider trading him or buying him out after the season. It's too big a cap hit for an unreliable goalie and too many other guys to sign.

This scenario does concern me a little. If they lose game 6 and go back to Fleury and he blows up again, I don't see how they could ever bring him back. Vokoun is 36, but he could handle the workload for next season if they were to draft a young goaltender or sign someone young and eventually work him into the starter's role. The only hope is that when Fleury is called upon again in these playoffs, he performs well and carries the team far. But his stats in the postseason since 2009 are brutal, and over his last 10 postseason games, they are not only brutal but one of the worst stretches ever for a goaltender in the postseason. It's to the point now where he's putting pucks into his own net that are not even shots on goal. Sure, the team makes their share of turnovers, but some of the goals he's allowed were not the result of that. On the Islanders' 6th goal the other night, when Fleury basically curled up in the fetal position inside the goal and made no attempt to stop the puck, that had the appearance of a player who is just mentally defeated.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 am

I don't think it's impossible that we'll see him again in these playoffs. And he'll be our 1A at least next year.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Has Fleury ever had "excellent form"?

(inb4 Lidstromsave.jpeg)

:pop: I don't think thats an argument for excellent form. Awful form maybe.

His best flop ever...without a doubt.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 10, 2013 8:34 am

I think he plays Game 1 of Rd 2 if they make it that far.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri May 10, 2013 8:35 am

newarenanow wrote:I think he plays Game 1 of Rd 2 if they make it that far.

That's my likely scenario to. They go back to him game 1, and if they need to win the game 5-4 or they lose. It's then Vokoun's job to lose for that series.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 8:35 am

newarenanow wrote:I think he plays Game 1 of Rd 2 if they make it that far.

I think thats what will too. I'm not firmly against it, but assuming Vokoun plays well in game 6 I don't really agree with it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:38 am

If the team plays like they did and Vokoun plays like he did (or close) in game 6 and we win, I do believe Vokoun starts game 1 vs. Ottawa. But we're a long way from that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am

The biggest difference between MAF and Vokoun was when the penguins were flat, Vokoun kept them in with a big save. MAF has not been able to do that in these playoffs from game 2 - game 4.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am

I'm just hoping the Pens don't come out flat. Play the same way you just won and it should be game over.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 am

I don't know but if Fleury has indeed played his last game as a Penguin that means we would have won the Cup behind Vokoun playing awesome.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins