Did Fleury play his last game as a Penguin?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

?!?!?!?!?

Fleury's gone
20%
At least next season
24%
Resign?
5%
Kittens
52%

Total votes : 106

Re: Did Fleury play his last game as a Penguin?

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I'm just hoping the Pens don't come out flat. Play the same way you just won and it should be game over.

Definitely. We're tough to beat playing like that. And it's so simple too. It's a simple game. There isn't a lot of flash or complication about it...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:The biggest difference between MAF and Vokoun was when the penguins were flat, Vokoun kept them in with a big save. MAF has not been able to do that in these playoffs from game 2 - game 4.

If I'm not mistaken, Fleury was exceptionally good early in each of the games he played. Then he got progressively worse.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 10, 2013 8:59 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I'm just hoping the Pens don't come out flat. Play the same way you just won and it should be game over.

:thumb: Last night was perfect, but we've seen this team come back and lay an egg so many times afterwards that it has to be a concern. All I can think about right now is Tampa in 2011 and Montreal in 2010. This series is so far from over and I hope they realize that.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 am

All I can think about right now is that this series the teams have traded results each game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am

Henry Hank wrote:

:thumb: Last night was perfect, but we've seen this team come back and lay an egg so many times afterwards that it has to be a concern. All I can think about right now is Tampa in 2011 and Montreal in 2010. This series is so far from over and I hope they realize that.

Yep. End it tomorrow, because if it goes to Game 7, at home, history says this team doesn't respond well.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 am

I just don't know how it's possible for this team to hsve any postseason hope with Fleury in net anymore. He desperately needs a change of scenery, his time in Pitts is done.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Inkio on Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 am

If the Pens win the series Flower will be in Goal game 1 if the next series.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri May 10, 2013 9:43 am

RxBandit66 wrote:This scenario does concern me a little. If they lose game 6 and go back to Fleury and he blows up again, I don't see how they could ever bring him back. Vokoun is 36, but he could handle the workload for next season if they were to draft a young goaltender or sign someone young and eventually work him into the starter's role.

Any goalie they draft would at least be 3-4 years away from starting, and it's not like young, franchise goaltenders are just sitting around waiting to be signed.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 10, 2013 9:45 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:This scenario does concern me a little. If they lose game 6 and go back to Fleury and he blows up again, I don't see how they could ever bring him back. Vokoun is 36, but he could handle the workload for next season if they were to draft a young goaltender or sign someone young and eventually work him into the starter's role.

Any goalie they draft would at least be 3-4 years away from starting, and it's not like young, franchise goaltenders are just sitting around waiting to be signed.

Nope. The trade market is also pretty bare, and the free agent pool is shallow. Unless you're willing to overpay for Mike Smith or Ray Emery, you're left picking from a bunch of late 30s goalies whose better days are well behind them.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Fri May 10, 2013 9:56 am

I mean, Fleury's been bad in the playoffs, but realistically, there is nobody around who can just replace him. You can't just cut him and have no viable option behind him. Vokoun? Maybe for a year, possibly two. After that? Nothing. There's no depth in the system and franchise goaltenders are hard to find. Maybe they can make a trade, but that goalie won't come cheap and will likely have limited, if any, experience at the professional level.

The fact is, Fleury is going to be with the Pens until they have a viable long-term replacement for him, and that won't exist for at least a few years.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Fri May 10, 2013 10:02 am

Cut MAF. Bring back Andy Chiodo. Win.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am

no matter what happens, fleury will be back (as mikey said) in the "1a" spot next year. not because shero is in love with him or anything. it's just a that swapping him for an upgrade is going to be a challenge.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 am

JoseCuervo wrote:I mean, Fleury's been bad in the playoffs, but realistically, there is nobody around who can just replace him. You can't just cut him and have no viable option behind him. Vokoun? Maybe for a year, possibly two. After that? Nothing. There's no depth in the system and franchise goaltenders are hard to find. Maybe they can make a trade, but that goalie won't come cheap and will likely have limited, if any, experience at the professional level.

The fact is, Fleury is going to be with the Pens until they have a viable long-term replacement for him, and that won't exist for at least a few years.

Fleury's only signed for two more years, though. He's not much more of a commitment than Vokoun is. Would anyone really want to make another long-term commitment to Fleury given his playoff performances four years running?

I think they should cut ties. They can't trust him in the playoffs, benching him this year and he certainly deserved to be benched the last three years. They had to go spend $2 million of cap space on a back-up when they already have $5 million committed to him. When you're paying a goalie $5 million, you shouldn't have to spend big money on a back-up and you should have a goalie that you can count on. The cap is coming down and they have a bunch of guys to sign. They're wasting resources if they keep Fleury. Cut bait on him and use the money to keep Iginla. Vokoun can hold it down for a year, maybe Hartzell develops into something for longer term, otherwise they will have to figure something else out. Which is the situation they will probably be in anyway. Fleury isn't a 23 year old with years and years to look forward to. He's almost 30 and getting close to free agency.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 10:13 am

Yeah I don't know about signing him beyond this contract, but I wouldn't buy him out. Its a tough situation because there really isn't a replacement.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:14 am

The league is trending towards drafting goalies later and just hoping to hit. Or, and this is the bigger change, watching a goalie through his development, through his draft eligibility and then offering him a contract when he's matured or on the cusp of maturing. There are a number of good goalies in Europe that could be coaxed over here and as long as you protect them, you'll get good results. Look at the NHL today, players that were ostensibly rejected are holding their own just fine...

Anaheim: Viktor Fasth/Jonas Hiller both came over after the age of 25 after playing decently well in Europe.
Boston: Tim Thomas wasn't good enough for the NHL, then he plays for a team that protects its goalies well, and he's all of a sudden highly regarded.
Calgary: Here comes Karri Ramo and Reto Berra, we'll see how that goes next year or the following...
Minnesota: Niklas Backstrom comes over at an advanced age, feels like he's been around forever. Carved out a nice NHL career.
Nashville: Pekka Rinne was an 8th round pick at the age of 22, Anders Lindback was a 7th round pick at the age of 20, next up Magnus Hellberg, a 2nd round pick at the age of 20. All super-overage draft picks.
San Jose: Antti Niemi brought over (by Chicago) at the age of 26. First playoffs: Cup win. Second playoffs: West Finals. Fourth playoffs: He's on his way to the second round at least after a sweep.

Lots of interest in Antti Raanta, Joacim Ericsson and some others out there...

Now, these don't always work out certainly...but with how goaltending is around the league today, all you have to do is protect them well enough and you'll get results. Most goalies can only strive to have a neutral, or, non-negative, impact on the game and they are considered successful. If we really needed to go that route, I'm confident we could find a capable goaltender. We probably couldn't find the rare goalie that can have a positive impact on the game (Fleury in 2008 and 2009 for instance) but that's not the way the league is heading right now anyway...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Has Fleury ever had "excellent form"?

(inb4 Lidstromsave.jpeg)

The 2007-2008 Cup run that ended in a loss to Detroit, he was excellent. By far the best hockey he's ever played in his career (2nd in the playoffs in save% that season at .933). 933!
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 am

Inkio wrote:If the Pens win the series Flower will be in Goal game 1 if the next series.

This would make my head explode. If Vokoun plays well in game 6 and/or 7 and they win the series, why would you go back to him?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

columbia wrote:I think there's a 70/30 chance that we will see MAF will start S2/G1 (assuming it happens).

:thumb: This. I think Vokoun will play Saturday, and if they win, the Pens go back to MAF for Round 2. He is still their #1 goalie, he's paid to be their #1 goalie. His confidence is shaken at the moment. It would be utterly destroyed if the Pens continued to ride Vokoun. I also don't know if Vokoun would handle the workload required to get us through the finals, if the Pens went that far.

If the Pens make it to Round 2, MAF starts. He can still have a bad game and continue to play. It just depends on when it is. A few bad games and 2-2 in the 2nd round, may look to go back to Vokoun and ride him the rest of the way. One bad game with a 2-1 series lead, he'd still get a shot.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 10:24 am

FLPensFan wrote:His confidence is shaken at the moment. It would be utterly destroyed if the Pens continued to ride Vokoun.

If thats the case, I take back anything else I said, get rid of him now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 am

Winning is more important than coddling a headcase. If Fleury can't handle being rightfully benched, that's even more reason to cut ties with him for good. The appropriate response from him if he does get another chance is to play the best hockey of his career.

We've all made too many excuses for Fleury. They need to do what's best for the team to win, not what will make Fleury feel good about himself. What he made this season in relation to Vokoun is irrelevant. If Vokoun really does give them a better chance to win, maybe the fact that Fleury is a significantly higher cap hit is kind of a problem, maybe the kind of problem they need to solve with a trade or buyout. Fleury being "the guy" just because he's been their starter for a while isn't good enough reason to play him when he's been doing everything he can to help them lose in the playoffs over the last few years.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri May 10, 2013 10:37 am

There is no way I go with Fleury unless Vokoun craps the bed. MAF is a ticking time bomb until he melts down again.

AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 10, 2013 10:48 am

slappybrown wrote:

(inb4 Lidstromsave.jpeg)

The 2007-2008 Cup run that ended in a loss to Detroit, he was excellent. By far the best hockey he's ever played in his career (2nd in the playoffs in save% that season at .933). 933!

Coincidentally (or not) he also had Ty Conklin working with him on his technique, puck handling, and mental game on a daily basis over that stretch.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 10, 2013 10:50 am

Henry Hank wrote:Winning is more important than coddling a headcase. If Fleury can't handle being rightfully benched, that's even more reason to cut ties with him for good. The appropriate response from him if he does get another chance is to play the best hockey of his career.

We've all made too many excuses for Fleury. They need to do what's best for the team to win, not what will make Fleury feel good about himself. What he made this season in relation to Vokoun is irrelevant. If Vokoun really does give them a better chance to win, maybe the fact that Fleury is a significantly higher cap hit is kind of a problem, maybe the kind of problem they need to solve with a trade or buyout. Fleury being "the guy" just because he's been their starter for a while isn't good enough reason to play him when he's been doing everything he can to help them lose in the playoffs over the last few years.

That's probably not going to happen. You don't just magically re-gain your confidence by sitting on the bench, unfortunately.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 10, 2013 10:51 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:His confidence is shaken at the moment. It would be utterly destroyed if the Pens continued to ride Vokoun.

If thats the case, I take back anything else I said, get rid of him now.

Agree.

You play Vokoun the rest of the series, he seems to have the Isles number. I'd go back to Fleury in Round 2 (if we make it) and assess from there.

But if you put Fleury back in solely because you worry about what is going on in his head, then he shouldn't be the "franchise goalie".
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Fri May 10, 2013 10:52 am

tfrizz wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

(inb4 Lidstromsave.jpeg)

Coincidentally (or not) he also had Ty Conklin working with him on his technique, puck handling, and mental game on a daily basis over that stretch.

Meloche needs to go first. See if someone can help the Flower "get to his game." He has the tools needs to get help with all the above.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins