Adjustments happened. The results are in

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Adjustments happened. The results are in

Postby Scott on Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 am

Hold the phone. Stop the press.

Bylsma made some adjustments and low and behold look what happened. The Penguins played a different game. This was the most dominant performance thus far. More than lopsided game one affair. Tonight the Pens took it to the Isle.

One of the biggest differences that happened was puck possession. The reuniting of the Kunitz, Neal, Malkin line clicked right away and played keep away for many shifts. Crosby Iginla and Dupuis were flowing, cycling, and getting in sync.
Kennedy and Vitale brought some much needed speed and intensity to match the Islanders.

Lastly, when the Pens thwarted ahead in this game, they jammed up the neutral zone like the ..cough cough trapping islanders have been doing. At which point it really made the saving easier for Vokoun and made the Islanders frustrated and pressing.

Let me say two WHAT ON EARTH comments...#1 is what in the world was Bylsma thinking not putting these combos together until now. I know the top line was clicking well during the regular season but tonight's Penguins as a team were the best showing yet. They will only get better with more time to build on the already there chemistry.

#2 When the Pens were up 4-0 with 11 mins to go the Islanders were still playing a 1-4 or a 1-3-1 or a 1-2-2....whatever the case why at that point when they needed offense..4 goals to be exact just to tie the game were they still sitting back doing nothing but waiting for a turnover. At one point I believe Paul Martin could have held the puck in his zone standing still for 2 mins because the lead Isle player was not coming any closer and committing to any move...waiting to just trap. 11 mins to go down 4-0 and no urgency whatsoever from the Isle. Bizarre to say the least. Maybe they wanted to limit the embarrassment. But you coach and play to win games. Not lose by a more respectable score. Again, bizarre.

The Pens looked good and hopefully Saturday they will look even better. It's time that the three legit captains on this team step up and say lets finish this one. Foot is on the throat, lets keep it there. See ya saturday!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Adjustments happened. The results are in

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 am

I think the line change was the third biggest adjustment...the bigger two being Vokoun at goal and Kennedy/Vitale in for Glass/Jokinen.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer that change. Iginla is definitely better served with Crosby.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 10, 2013 7:52 am

Bylsma is desperate to keep his job. He figured he had to do something.

I still am not a Kenndy fan but wow he anf Vitale really played with some energy.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 am

Undoubtedly adjustments happened, the team got it turned around.. Why did they wait through 8 periods of crap play to do it?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 am

The line changes in the 2nd were huge. Getting Iggy and Cooke back to their regular positions was necessary and having Morrow on the 4th line is actually really good. Him, Vitale and Adams cycled great and drew penalties. They also hit everyone.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 am

Adjustments were made by everyone, and it was a great team win. Vokoun made the big save on Tavares, then Sid goes down and scores the best goal of the 2013 season. That was the turning point in the game. If Tavares scores and makes it 2-1, it would have been an entirely different game.

And if Sid's goal was the turning point in the game, I'm thinking TK's goal was the turning point in the series. Bottom line, if Vokoun plays solid and Nabokov continues to be swiss cheese, the Islanders know they cannot win. Their only chance was a shaky Fleury and forced Penguin turnovers. Both of those things evaporated last night, and if they Pens run the same exact lineup out there Saturday, so will the Islanders' season.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Adjustments were made by everyone, and it was a great team win. Vokoun made the big save on Tavares, then Sid goes down and scores the best goal of the 2013 season. That was the turning point in the game. If Tavares scores and makes it 2-1, it would have been an entirely different game.

And if Sid's goal was the turning point in the game, I'm thinking TK's goal was the turning point in the series. Bottom line, if Vokoun plays solid and Nabokov continues to be swiss cheese, the Islanders know they cannot win. Their only chance was a shaky Fleury and forced Penguin turnovers. Both of those things evaporated last night, and if they Pens run the same exact lineup out there Saturday, so will the Islanders' season.

I hope so. We haven't had the same lineup each game yet, obviously you can't go back to Game 1 with no Sid and Orpik but last night was fun to watch, looked like March after the lines got shifted.

The main differences during our long winning streakl and now are these:
Iggy for Bennett
Morrow for Glass
Murray for Eaton

Amazing it took this long to figure this out.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am

no name wrote:Bylsma is desperate to keep his job. He figured he had to do something.

I still am not a Kenndy fan but wow he anf Vitale really played with some energy.

I am a fan of having guys you can move in and out of the line up that can make a difference. Not everyone has to play a specific role. Sometimes you need a set of fresh legs to work hard.

Also, Kennedy is a guy that gets rewarded when he works hard. We had a guy like that once on this team that didn't crack the lineup every night but scored some big goals for us. His name is on the cup in 2009, also:

Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Jesse on Fri May 10, 2013 8:57 am

The Penguins did not trap last night. At all. That's a misconception that I've seen too many times here.

Also, Bylsma ran the exact same breakout he did last night as he did in Game 4.

The only differences were goaltending and puck management. Two pretty big differences.

The only adjustments made last night were those in the lineup.

The Penguins ran the same exact 1-2-2 swing they've ran all year, it wasn't a trap, the only difference is the team was moving their feet and getting work done.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah, the adjustments were made midway through game 4. :pop: It seems like the goalie change focused the team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri May 10, 2013 9:09 am

Jesse wrote:The Penguins did not trap last night. At all. That's a misconception that I've seen too many times here.

The only differences were goaltending and puck management. Two pretty big differences.

The Penguins ran the same exact 1-2-2 swing they've ran all year, it wasn't a trap, the only difference is the team was moving their feet and getting work done.

I thought at a point early in the 2nd period they did? Well, that's why i try and read everything you have to say on the subject. My horrible opinions need to be schooled.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penmyst on Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 am

I didn't see any trapping either.

What seemed to be MUCH better was puck support and discipline in moving the puck forward from their own zone. Better puck management really.

It shows just how crucial it is to NOT be turning pucks over in the neutral zone by forcing long passes into the teeth of a trapping team. It makes a world of difference to your defensive zone play when you don't have to deal with counterattacks, speed, and lack of support from forwards caught up ice (or wrong-footed) when the turnovers happen. It looked like an entirely different Pens team in their own zone last nite precisely because of their improved efforts/work/discipline in moving the puck forward without handing away turnovers.

The Pens have more than enough offensive skill/talent that they don't have to force things in that department. When they play the disciplined way they did yesterday, they look a lot more like the unstoppable Pens team of the middle of the season. They keep things tight, and sooner or later there will be a mistake on the other team's part. That's when their talented players can punish you, ala what Kennedy (breakaway on a skill pass from Letang) or Crosby did (whipping two guys and a goalie all by himself). And if you toss in a bad goal like the Murray one... it illustrates just what these games SHOULD have looked like: mainly, that the Islanders will have to play PERFECT hockey to have any shot. Instead of the Pens handing them easy opportunities via undisciplined play.

The energy from TK and Vitale were certainly useful as well.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Fri May 10, 2013 9:50 am

To me the biggest adjustments came in adding speed with TK, Vitale and Depres

and also putting players where they are most comfortable

allowing Iginla to play on his wing
allowing Neal to play on his wing
giving Geno his defensively responsible line mate in Kunitz so that he can be Geno

and of course having a goalie who wasn't having a nervous break down was a nice change of pace as well
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 10:03 am

looked like better puck support/management and backchecking to me. i'm not much of an x's and o's guy, but i thought that the system was the same - just executed more conservatively
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:06 am

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

DelPen wrote:The line changes in the 2nd were huge. Getting Iggy and Cooke back to their regular positions was necessary and having Morrow on the 4th line is actually really good. Him, Vitale and Adams cycled great and drew penalties. They also hit everyone.

Great points about Cooke and Morrow. Cooke is a physical left wing and so is Morrow. Playing them on the same line seemed to be redundant. Now they both bring their physical style to different lines and they get to play the side they are which they are most comfortable.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Fri May 10, 2013 11:07 am

shmenguin wrote:looked like better puck support/management and backchecking to me. i'm not much of an x's and o's guy, but i thought that the system was the same - just executed more conservatively

They made some minor defensive adjustments, but the biggest difference in the team is that they played hard and played smart. None of that "loosey goosey" stupid pond hockey they played in games 2, 3, and 4.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

Jesse wrote:The Penguins did not trap last night. At all. That's a misconception that I've seen too many times here.

I think this bears repeating. This wasn't some new system or coaching scheme--this was exactly what Penguins hockey looks like (they finally got to their game :pop: ). The interesting this is that the solid goaltending came first, because the Penguins still looked a little lost in the 1st period. They were much more calm with Vokoun in net. The forwards finally learned how to back-check in the 2nd period, and I noticed the defense stepping up quite a bit at the blue line as they have all year to negate the easy zone entries.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 am

Bylsma never adjusting is a LGP.com urban legend.

He just sometimes doesn't make the correct ones. Also, not to make excuses, but we added four players late in the season, had a bunch of other key players come off of IR etc - it's taking a little time to get everything sorted out. And in a condensed season, there wasn't as much practice time available as normal.

But as any head coach, he's judged on wins and losses and especially in the playoffs. He gets alot of credit for last night, and he should for the lineup/line combination changes especially - but credit the players for being patient with the NYI lock, and not making the stupid mistakes they did in games 2-4.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:39 am

They certainly were not trapping last night, but they did appear to be "packing it in" around their own goal more, and blocking more shots. Listen, the Islanders had their chances. Vokoun was up to the task.

Nabokov cannot stop the puck right now. He's in big trouble. If the Pens keep their foot on the gas and throw pucks at him early in game 6, they will likely get the result they want. How ironic all this talk about Crosby and Malkin not being able to score against Nabokov (and I realize it was a small sample of games) and now they are lighting him up like a Christmas tree.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 11:41 am

I've never understood that doesn't adjust thign. He doesn't change systems mid game, but no one really does. My problem is that his teams ahve died in the playoffs year after year, and i'm hoping this year is different.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri May 10, 2013 11:43 am

so when the players actually play better, the result is better?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 am

Froggy wrote:so when the players actually play better, the result is better?

that plan is so crazy, it might just work...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Pitts on Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 am

Scott wrote:when they needed offense..4 goals to be exact just to tie the game were they still sitting back doing nothing but waiting for a turnover.

At that point, you could easily see the game was over, the Isles had quit, the Pens were simply too much for them. That is the way it should have been for 4 games. Hopefully, it will be that way for the 6th.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 pm

He did adjust last night.
He put players in positions they are more comfortable with.
Changed in a d-man with a bit more speed and ability to move the puck.
Added 2 forwards and gave them some ice time who got the puck deep and kept it there.

No system change, but some personal changes and movement - the players took care of the rest.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins