Adjustments happened. The results are in

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Adjustments happened. The results are in

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Amazing what this team looks like when they don't turn the puck over.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 pm

IMO, the momentum shift in the 2nd occurred when the Pens started utilizing shorter passes and skating the puck into the neutral zone more frequently. Turnovers were drastically reduced after that. I don't think any team can beat the Pens in a 7 game series if they play like that.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Fri May 10, 2013 2:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Amazing what this team looks like when they don't turn the puck over.

It's a simple statement. But not always a simple answer.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 2:29 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Amazing what this team looks like when they don't turn the puck over.

I think as long as they quit trying to hit a homerun with every pass or save, this team looks amazing. They just have to stop trying to manufacture the highlight play. Those types of plays will come- just stop forcing it.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 2:46 pm

jwest21 wrote:

I think as long as they quit trying to hit a homerun with every pass or save, this team looks amazing. They just have to stop trying to manufacture the highlight play. Those types of plays will come- just stop forcing it.

Not sure you're in luck, homerun pass worked out on the Kennedy goal. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 pm

The long stretch pass is obviously alright occasionally (TK Goal) but we can't use it every single time we regain possession in our zone, which is what we were doing and why we kept turning it over so much.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
jwest21 wrote:

Not sure you're in luck, homerun pass worked out on the Kennedy goal. :pop:

I am not saying eliminate the homerun pass. I am saying be patient. The Pens played smart last night and the opportunity presented itself- it wasn't forced. What I am saying is they will get there chances at fantastic plays if they continue to play smart. The last couple games before last night they were forcing the homerun play or and it resulted in a lot of bad turnovers. Spectacular will happen...just stop trying to make every play spectacular
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Scott on Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Jesse wrote:The Penguins did not trap last night. At all. That's a misconception that I've seen too many times here.

Also, Bylsma ran the exact same breakout he did last night as he did in Game 4.

The only differences were goaltending and puck management. Two pretty big differences.

The only adjustments made last night were those in the lineup.

The Penguins ran the same exact 1-2-2 swing they've ran all year, it wasn't a trap, the only difference is the team was moving their feet and getting work done.

Ok Jesse, is it black or is it charcoal?
You can call it what you want but I can tell you there were points during the game that the Pens were not moving the feet, looking to trap, get a turnover.

I don't like the trap whatsoever and its not something I dream they play, but there were a few stretches last night the Pens implemented a wall and the players weren't moving the feet very much. Whatever you want to call it I seen them on a few occasions play just like that.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri May 10, 2013 6:14 pm

I wonder how much not practicing yesterday came in to play. I know a lot of people were up in arms after the way the had been playing, but the guys aren't machines. Recovery is every bit as important as exercise. They clearly had their legs for 3 periods last night while the Isles looked kinda gassed after the 1st period. I wondered if they would eventually skate themselves out with the pace they had going for games 2-4
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:I wonder how much not practicing yesterday came in to play. I know a lot of people were up in arms after the way the had been playing, but the guys aren't machines. Recovery is every bit as important as exercise. They clearly had their legs for 3 periods last night while the Isles looked kinda gassed after the 1st period. I wondered if they would eventually skate themselves out with the pace they had going for games 2-4

Mango,

very good point. I was one that felt the Pens should be given more rest in between games. These games are going on every other day. Bylsma hockey is fast paced and very taxing on the body. The pens will not learn something new or get more polished by having another practice in between every single game. That was a good move and something I believe will happen more should the Pens advance. Maybe more like something that will have to happen should the Pens keep winning.

Another note is the Isle can't possibly keep up that ridiculous pace for seven games in thirteen days unless they are on some type of chemical.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins