'13 Playoffs Game 5 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

'13 Playoffs Game 5 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri May 10, 2013 8:23 am

Pens win 4-0

- Vokoun made 3 game changing, possibly series changing, stops. 2 on Tavares, 1 on Okposo. Pens played more conservatively around Vokoun & it was the difference
- Sid took the pulse of the game, saw Tavares start to heat up, came out & said... "Your amazing kid... but I'm better". Then he proved it.
- Geno didn't factor into the scoresheet, and he didn't need to. Geno played well (no giveaways) & the result is W. He's eating W's for breakfast today
- Douglas Murray is really writing his own legend. Scores another goal (something hit that mid air), & then center's the late game PP when a tank is needed :shock:
- Letang can be offensive when he plays good D. (TK goal a prime example). He still needs to focus on D first.
- TK's goal early was more than just the 1st goal. It ripped the "BELIEVE" right from the hearts of the Isles
- HCDB must read LGP. Seemed everything LGP'ers wanted happened last night (TK & JV back in, Vokouuuuuuun starting, Radioactive Sid, Iggy-Sid line, NTG-NoTurnoverGeno)
- CEC came through as Rocking on the TSN feed! Home Ice was a factor last night.... and of course there was woooooooooo'ing
- Vokoun "oooooooooooonnnnnn" chants were great to hear. Useless trivia - In Czech (LGP Tomas can verify) Vokoun means fish (perch, favored fish).
- Amidst all the doom & gloom prior to this game, the facts remained. Nabakov was shaky and mistake free Pens team will not be beat by wannabees.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 5 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am

My thought is they have to play like that again in game 6.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am

So frustrating that every causal fan saw the changes needed 2 games ago. Why does it take a NHL coach this long to at least try to change things up when they obviosuly were not working. The Pens looked fast last night, for the first time this series.

Finally a cycle......they actually possessed the puck for more than 3 seconds.

Still give up too many shots, the Isles had some great chances. That is still concerning.

The Pens need to win game 6, and get out of Dodge and get some rest.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 am

The Isles can't handle a cycle and the pens were able to do it on 3 of the 4 lines last night.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am

1. Keep Vokoun.
2. Keep Kennedy & Vitale.
3. Keep Sid and Iggy together.
4. I know I am looking beyond my nose here, but anyone else scared of the Senators? They are the Islanders with a good goalie.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 4-0

- HCDB must read LGP. Seemed everything LGP'ers wanted happened last night (TK & JV back in, Vokouuuuuuun starting, Radioactive Sid, Iggy-Sid line, NTG-NoTurnoverGeno)

It's about freakin' time. :thumb: I think these changes have been obvious to more than this board and for awhile.

Speed kills and last night it killed the Islanders. Kennedy's breakaway was just what the doctor ordered.

We need a repeat of that game mentality, care with the puck, and ferocious forecheck on the Island Saturday.

I think the Isles' ranks are getting thinner as well. The injuries may well prove fatal for them. Interesting stat yesterday: the Pens have NO ONE injured. All scratches were healthy.
IntangibleBeer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Fri May 10, 2013 8:34 am

Hawkeynut wrote:1. Keep Vokoun.
4. I know I am looking beyond my nose here, but anyone else scared of the Senators? They are the Islanders with a good goalie.

The Sens don't have quite the speed that the Isle's do...and fewer top end offensive threats. Still...can't play turnover hockey and expect to beat anyone in this league.

Hopefully we can start thinking about this full throttle tomorrow around 3:00.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 8:34 am

Yeah I can't stand Kennedy, but he was the perfect addition with Vitale. He played the role of a bottom line player for the most part, rather than leaning so hard into shots that he can't control them and just killing possession. He's perfect for the playoffs when he's doing that, bringing exactly what Talbot brought for the Pens when he was on.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby rgj on Fri May 10, 2013 8:35 am

Pens played a great game last night......I saw them continually being first to loose pucks, they were aggressive on defense, and perhaps most important, their turnovers were negligible. Vokoun came up big when needed and shut down the Islanders after the first few minutes of the game. I really liked the speed given by having Kennedy and Vitale in the lineup. They baffled the Isles all night.

That's the Pens that did the job during the season. Hopefully, the Pens can keep it up one more time and send the Isles to their own golf courses!!
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 4-0

Rats! I was all ready to come in hear today and say this and you beat me to it. I have been on other message boards of teams that I like and always have to put up with idiot kool-aid fans who rip on anyone who gives advice saying things like "you think you are smarter than the coach?" As if these coaches all have genius IQs and were touched by the hand of God when many of them will be fired in the next couple years anyway.

LGP has been excellent in this regard and I was shocked to see Danny boy finally doing what everyone here has been saying since game 1.

Two more comments:
- the first shift of the Vitale-Kennedy-Adams line looked exactly like the infamous Hanson brother premier shift. Bodies were flying everywhere. Just awesome.
- That said, why in the name of all that is holy is Adams still playing? Did he clear one puck on the PK? He is completely and totally worthless. Too slow for the crash line and terrible on the PK. Personally I'd like to see Bennett get another shot with that line. Tell him, no more standing around and thinking, go hit people and create scoring chances. Either that or put Glass out there and turn that into the manic mess it can be.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pfim on Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 am

It was nice to get some competent (not great) goaltending in the first, and the team respond in the second and third. The Isles had nothing to counter with after Kennedy's goal.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 am

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Montreal is a total mess right now. Their goaltending has been shaky all year and they have some big injuries now. I'm not scared of them but I would not take them lightly at all.

And I'll say this again, the only team that can beat the Pens, outside of Chicago, are the pens.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Fri May 10, 2013 8:42 am

Carve this on a stone tablet:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Hand tablet to Bylsma and tell him these are your top two lines. No "but"s about it.

Also, Joe Vitale is never allowed on the healthy scratch list again. Period.

PensFanInDC wrote:My thought is they have to play like that again in game 6.

:thumb:
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 8:43 am

I don't think the Sens are fast enough to cause problems for the Pens.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri May 10, 2013 8:45 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wooooooooooooo

woooooooooooooooooo

Spoiler:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby sil on Fri May 10, 2013 8:46 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think the Sens are fast enough to cause problems for the Pens.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theANTIgenious on Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am

- So nice to see the lineup FINALLY where it needs to be. Two balanced scoring lines with everyone in their proper position. A defensively sound third line, and a fourth line that could bang people and cycle. This is what we all have been waiting for since the trade deadline!!

- Also, extremely refreshing to see the Pens go into shutdown mode in the third with the three goal lead.

Excellent coaching, goaltending, lineups, and systematic adjustments. Now, read and repeat for Game 6.
theANTIgenious
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am

- Third line cycle with the lead was ridiculous. The Isles failed to realize that the intent of the Pens cycle with a lead was not to score, but eat the clock.
- On one shift, Orpik took three consecutive hits, but gave back equally on each one (think I saw him get hurt late game though?)
- Isles miss Andy McDonald bigtime
- Paul Martin did not have a great game, but he battled through & showed effort which paid dividends
- So...... who starts in goal for game 6? I'd go with Vokoun, but have the hook ready if he's not good
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 am

Sens played a smallish Montreal team with little physicality. I don't think they will match up well to a team that can and will push them around.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am

I'm scared of the Sens. Better than the Islanders and they're also out for revenge against the Pens. I have a lot of doubt that the Pens will be able to match their drive.

But I'm more scared of the Islanders. This Pens team has blown their last two 3-2 series leads. They better be ready to beat a desperate team tomorrow. Nobody should want any part of another game seven at home following a game six loss.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 am

count2infinity wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wooooooooooooo

woooooooooooooooooo

Spoiler:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:fist:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Fri May 10, 2013 8:54 am

Looking ahead to the Sens is sort of getting ahead of ourselves. Game 6 is Saturday and IF the Pens lose, they could be done on Sunday.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 am

Penspal wrote:Looking ahead to the Sens is sort of getting ahead of ourselves. Game 6 is Saturday and IF the Pens lose, they could be done on Sunday.

This.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 9:03 am

The LGP armchair coaching society deserves mad props. Some of the sh*t thrown at the wall finally stuck.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 9:11 am

Penspal wrote:Looking ahead to the Sens is sort of getting ahead of ourselves. Game 6 is Saturday and IF the Pens lose, they could be done on Sunday.

On behalf of all the players posting here about the Sens, thanks for keeping our heads straight.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins