'13 Playoffs Game 5 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 5 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Shakes on Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10100185655412212

Lange audio linked up with the highlights. Great calls.

". . . on to Crosby, into the Islanders zone, splits the defense, IN ON GOAL, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE......shoots and scores! Sidney Crosby scores on Center Avenue! You'd have to be here to believe the moves that Sir Sidney just made."

Great job by Benstonium (as always).
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GaryRissling on Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm

tfrizz wrote:
GaryRissling wrote:
Penspal wrote:Pens win 4-0

- Vokoun made 3 game changing, possibly series changing, stops. 2 on Tavares, 1 on Okposo. Pens played more conservatively around Vokoun & it was the difference

I'm not a part of Fleury Nation per se, but IMO Fleury would have gotten the shut out in this game as well. Despite his horrible gaffs, he's played statistically better than last year. If I'm Fleury, I'm pissed that my team let me down so bad in games 2,3,and 4; though Fluery being Fleury, he probably puts it all on himself (which is not a personality trait that benefits a goalie - I'd much rather have a goalie that blames everything on his team).

One of the reasons I say this is that IMO, the PK is where you can tell the most how a goalie is playing; and Fluery has been great on the kill this series, unlike last year.

If the Pens play team D the way they did in games 1 and 5; it doesn't matter who is in net for the most part. The defensive responsibility is what's key.

According to what they said on TSN last night, he puts 100% of the blame on himself. And you're right, it's not a good personality trait. Look back to the Flyers game when Vokoun ripped into the team. Fleury wasn't playing well, the team was playing worse, and it took Vokoun yelling at them to straighten it out.

Fleury's proven to be fairly resilient over his career, but I feel like what we're seeing now is the weight of all the failures over his hockey career crushing him because he can't let go.

I don't know...that seems like a pretty big psychological conclusion to reach at this point. I personally think that if we advance, we'll see him game 1 vs Ottawa, and I wouldn't be upset by it. The Pittsburgh crowd lifted him out of his last slump at a home game vs Tampa a few years back, and I'd expect the same should he be between the pipes next week.

I expect him to regain his form, maybe even as soon as next series, though even then he's too psychologically fragile to be the long-term #1 IMO.
GaryRissling
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the riddler on Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 pm

- Vokoun made a huge difference in goal last night. There were plenty of defensive breakdowns in the game, especially early, and he made some key saves. He also was very active playing the puck which helped stop some of the Islanders dump-ins.
- Vitale & Kennedy both played with a ton of speed and brought a totally different element the Penguins didn't seem to have the first 4 games. Vitale especially just played like it was his last shift every time out.
- Bylsma made the right line adjustments. Everyone looked comfortable in their natural positions. Also moved Morrow back to the 4th line in the 2nd. Morrow has had a bit of a hard time with the Islanders' speed.
- Crosby didn't look good in the 1st period. But he came out in the 2nd inspired and seemed to click well with Iginla.
- Better game for Malkin, his ice time was reduced, which might have been because of his poor play in the 3rd in game 4 or just because the game was out of hand. Kunitz-Malkin-Neal has the potential to be a special line again. They had a shift in the 3rd were they cycled the puck for almost a minute and Malkin missed the net.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 10, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm just glad I didn't get beat up last night :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 pm

is it just me or does vitale look like the fastest guy you've ever seen when he's at full speed?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri May 10, 2013 12:20 pm

One thing in this series is clear to me....

When the Pens don't take care of the puck, New York becomes a very, very dangerous team with their speed and skill on offense.

When the Pens do take care of the puck, it becomes your traditional 1 vs 8 match-up.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Fri May 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Shakes wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Eric Majeski ‏@LGP_netwolf 5m
Just when you think you've heard it all, the Pens are called classless for pulling their goaltender on a DELAYED PENALTY.

:lol:

Seriously? I missed this one, who said it?

I don't know, unfortunately.

Ah, I dug it up out of curiosity. Just a random Isles fan butthurt on Twitter and going at it with Metzer. It's actually pretty entertaining if you're bored.

His feed: http://twitter.com/Brian_Metzer

pinstriper 4 life! ‏@pinstriper76 45m
@Brian_Metzer Any thoughts on Bylsma pulling his goalie up 4-0? Classless? Petty???
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Brian Metzer ‏@Brian_Metzer 41m
.@pinstriper76 not sure what you're referring to. Vokoun was only off the ice for 14 seconds in game due to delayed penalties.
Expand
pinstriper 4 life! ‏@pinstriper76 40m
@Brian_Metzer Exactly up 4-0 with under 2 mins left
Expand
Brian Metzer ‏@Brian_Metzer 38m
@pinstriper76 total of 14 seconds in the game... that's like a handful of seconds for each of the 4 delayed penalties all night
Expand
pinstriper 4 life! ‏@pinstriper76 33m
@Brian_Metzer This is THE most classless team in the league! They do everything with a sense of entitlement
Expand
Brian Metzer ‏@Brian_Metzer 32m
.@pinstriper76 FYI = Classless is no diving signs and cheering when a guy gets hurt. I let you go on and on typically, but today ur wrong.

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 pm

It can't be overstated how huge the PP goal in the 3rd was. If ever there was a time to blow the game it would be giving up a shorty and then getting tight and giving up another bad goal and then it would have been over.

Instead, face-off won, worked back to the point and in the net in 6 seconds. All business.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 pm

shmenguin wrote:is it just me or does vitale look like the fastest guy you've ever seen when he's at full speed?

He's definitely up there with (in no particular order) Dupuis, TK, and Letang in terms of straight-line speed.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 pm

The U wrote:
*Luck and bounces are a huge part of this game. Vokoun was great in net but he wasn't victimized by any bad bounces, crazy deflections, or whacky goals. The Murray goal was the absolute FIRST real lucky break we got all series. After the Islanders scored 4 odd goals in the previous 4 games, we were due.

While I agree on the rest of your astute reflections, I think this one is suspect ;) Seeing Sid survive a throat shot last game was a lucky break, as was Sid surviving that shot off his foot last night. The breaks, no pun intended, are sometimes not as obvious and often don't show up on the scoresheet.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Shakes wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Shakes wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Eric Majeski ‏@LGP_netwolf 5m
Just when you think you've heard it all, the Pens are called classless for pulling their goaltender on a DELAYED PENALTY.

Seriously? I missed this one, who said it?

I don't know, unfortunately.

Ah, I dug it up out of curiosity. Just a random Isles fan butthurt on Twitter and going at it with Metzer. It's actually pretty entertaining if you're bored.

His feed: http://twitter.com/Brian_Metzer

Spoiler:
pinstriper 4 life! ‏@pinstriper76 45m
@Brian_Metzer Any thoughts on Bylsma pulling his goalie up 4-0? Classless? Petty???
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
Brian Metzer ‏@Brian_Metzer 41m
.@pinstriper76 not sure what you're referring to. Vokoun was only off the ice for 14 seconds in game due to delayed penalties.
Expand
pinstriper 4 life! ‏@pinstriper76 40m
@Brian_Metzer Exactly up 4-0 with under 2 mins left
Expand
Brian Metzer ‏@Brian_Metzer 38m
@pinstriper76 total of 14 seconds in the game... that's like a handful of seconds for each of the 4 delayed penalties all night
Expand
pinstriper 4 life! ‏@pinstriper76 33m
@Brian_Metzer This is THE most classless team in the league! They do everything with a sense of entitlement
Expand
Brian Metzer ‏@Brian_Metzer 32m
.@pinstriper76 FYI = Classless is no diving signs and cheering when a guy gets hurt. I let you go on and on typically, but today ur wrong.

Dude appears to be a transplanted NY'er living in Pittsburgh.

He's definitely an attention hound / troll
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DocEmrick on Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 pm

HUAH
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RPKJr429 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 pm

I, for sure, thought Coach Disco was trolling LGP when they showed the lineup as 9/87/12 and it was actually 18/71/12 on the ice to start the game. I'm glad to see all of the changes that were made actually sparked the team.

Personal Satisfaction: I really liked that Despres was trolling Okposo in the 3rd. I've been waiting for someone to cleanly check him into the 3rd row of the upper deck all series, but this moment will suffice if that day never comes.
RPKJr429
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pens4Life on Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 pm

So Jokinen despite playing good,now sits? :?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Vitale and TK were better.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri May 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Pens4Life wrote:So Jokinen despite playing good,now sits? :?

You have 2 options to put him back in, sit Sutter who is faster with better reach or Adams, who apparently has compromising photos of HCDB and farm animals.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm not sure that's it's possible for JJ to do well on a line with Adams and Glass.....too much of a skill/role mismatch.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:

You have 2 options to put him back in, sit Sutter who is faster with better reach or Adams, who apparently has compromising photos of HCDB and farm animals.

Sutter won't sit, but Adams should--for Bennett or Jokinen.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

The Pens finally woke up out of their 3 game funk and started trying. Vokoun was solid. The Pen played excellent D keeping Vokoun from having to scramble. Vokoun was able to stay in position, making his job so much easier. They were very good at preventing rebounds for once, as well. Haad the team played like this the last 3 games, Fleury would have been fine. Instead they left him out to dry and as a consequence, he had to repeatedly flop. The sloppier the team in front of him played, the worse Fleury played. the worse Fleury played, the worse the team in front of him played (by trying to force everything). It was basically a downward spiral right into the ground. It's a shame it took a goalie switch to get through to the rest of the team, but it is what it is. Hopefully they continue to play like they did in the last two periods...they do that and it won't matter who is goalie
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Fri May 10, 2013 1:04 pm

-It only took 18 games for Bylsma to stop the Iggy-Malkin-Neal insanity...
-Kunitz makes Malkin-Neal work, please leave the top two lines alone now.
-Flower only had to **** the bed 3 consecutive games before Vokoun (who dominated the Isles in the season) got a game.
-Nice to see Despres-Letang wasn't it? They are both better when paired.
-Murray wins so many puck battles then makes simple passes, I can't praise him enough not even counting the goals!
-Agree with all comments re Vitale playing his socks off, how long till he is healthy scratched again?
-TK had a great game till he was with Sutter, they work about as well together as Iginla-Malkin. Bylsma must have flunked chemistry at school...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Fri May 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Despres - You mad bro?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 1:12 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:

sutter faster than jokinen? ummm....yeeeahhhhh....not even a little bit.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Hopefully the Isles remembered they are the Isles last night
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Another thing I noticed, in terms of simplifying and making smart choices, was Letang giving up on risky pinches and dropping back to play D. The last 3 games, he'd go after every puck in the offensive zone that would come to his side, sometimes causing an odd-man rush the other way.

I liked how he wasn't trying for the big play, but rather the smart, safe one that kept the Isles off the scoresheet.

Also, I thought TK-Sutter-Cooke was better than Luckybreak is giving them credit for. They were able to establish more of a forecheck/cycle than the Morrow-Sutter-Cooke line was, and they definitely wore the Islanders down when put together.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GreenLantern on Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Iggy and Sid were dangerous every time they were on the ice together, it was a treat to watch. What a feed from Iggy, he really did all the work on that goal *SARCASM DON'T SHOOT ME*..

Vokoun was the difference maker in this one, played an absolutely solid game, you can't ask for more from your goaltender, especially not your 'back up'.

I predicted they would settle it down and play a text book game, then close it out in 6, I stand by that.
GreenLantern

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins