Hart Trophy finalists are

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Hart Trophy finalists are

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 7:28 pm

jwest21 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Just the other day I read a comment by someone who claimed AO had more heart and worked harder than Crosby and was way more responsible defensively than our ever floating captain. True story.

Wow...just....wow

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Tavares. He's the most valuable to his team, though that is hardly the criteria these days for whatever reason. The fact that the Isles ended their long skid out of the playoffs and he had a great season should be enough. Pens can win with or without Crosby but the Isles don't even sniff the playoffs without Tavares because they really lack depth at this point. AO is a one dimensional scorer on an enigma team that underachieves year after year. MVP for AO? A joke.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Gaucho wrote:
jwest21 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Just the other day I read a comment by someone who claimed AO had more heart and worked harder than Crosby and was way more responsible defensively than our ever floating captain. True story.

Wow...just....wow

That was the gif that single-handedly made me change my mind about Ovechkin and the Hart. He's a selfish player. I retract stating that Ovie is the most valuable player to his team.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Fri May 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Ovechkin took the first half of the season off; Sid was out for the 2nd half (and his team didn't exactly suffer). Should be Tavares. Sucks because if Sid stays healthy he puts up numbers that make it his by default, but life isn't fair.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Someone on reddit started making this list:

Rob Rossi: 1. Crosby 2. Patrick Kane 3. John Tavares 4. Ovechkin 5. Datsyuk
    Josh Yohe: 1. Crosby 2. Kane 3. Ovechkin 4. Tavares 5. Toews
    Bob McKenzie: 1. Crosby 2. Toews 3. Ovechkin 4. Tavares
    Pierre LeBrun: Doesn't give an order, but says his top 3 was Crosby/Toews/Tavares with Ovechkin 4th
    Greg Wyshynski (Yahoo Sports): 1. Ovechkin 2. Crosby 3. Tavares 4. Toews 5. Bobrovsky
    Tim Rosenthal (Bruins Writer) 1. Ovechkin 2. Tavares 3. Toews 4. Kane 5. Bobrovsky (Seemingly proudly claims he left Sid off the ballot)
    Joe Yerdon (ProHockeyTalk) 1. Ovechkin 2. Crosby 3. Tavares 4. Bobrovsky 5. Toews
    Nick Costonika (Yahoo): 1. Ovechkin 2. Tavares 3. Crosby
    Sean Gentille(Sporting News): 1. Crosby 2. Ovechkin 3. Tavares 4. Bobrovsky 5. Toews
    Stephen Whyno (Caps Writer): 1. Ovechkin 2. Tavares 3. Crosby 4. Toews 5. Bobrovsky
    Jesse Spector(SportingNews): 1. Ovechkin 2. Crosby 3. Ryan Getzlaf 4. Tavares 5. James Reimer (???)
    Dejan Kovacevic (Pitt Trib-Review): He never really says who he put, but since he's a Pittsburgh writer, I'm assuming Crosby is no. 1
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Firebird on Fri May 10, 2013 8:38 pm

count2infinity wrote:I'd vote for Tavares and AO over Crosby just based on the idea of who is more valuable to their team.

This.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Rosenthal's reasoning is that the Pens are still a very good team without Crosby. I might be willing to buy that, but when he then goes on to have players from the same team at 3rd and 4th he sort of torpedoes his own argument.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 10, 2013 9:11 pm

Toronto was 17th in GA/G this year as opposed to 29th last year. Perhaps that why the one writer gave Reimer a nod?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IMFC on Sat May 11, 2013 12:34 am

I don't understand the Ovie or Taveras logic at all.

Are you really saying that if you took Ovie off the Caps and put Crosby on that the Caps would be worse?

It's the most valuable player in the whole league. Anything else is moronic.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:40 am

devil's advocate: How valuable can you be to your team or the league if you miss 25% of the games...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:46 am

mikey287 wrote:devil's advocate: How valuable can you be to your team or the league if you miss 25% of the games...?

Bobs...
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:12 am

Yeah, but goalies don't win this thing, Kovy...you know that. Ain't nothing changing that either...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat May 11, 2013 1:15 am

mikey287 wrote:devil's advocate: How valuable can you be to your team or the league if you miss 25% of the games...?

Devil's advocate to Sid?
Last edited by SolidSnake on Sat May 11, 2013 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 am

Missing 25% > Missing 50%.

Advantage Sid

If they give it to Sasha the pedo the Hart its turning this into the special Olympics.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stick_Flex on Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 am

Hate trophies that are voted. Might as well draw straws.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat May 11, 2013 2:22 am

Stick_Flex wrote:Hate trophies that are voted. Might as well draw straws.

I just hate media voting, bias plays too heavily into it. With the players, as hard as it may be for some to believe, most (most, not all) like and respect each other and don't have the same bias/hatred toward other teams and players that fans and members of the media do. As long as they're not allowed to vote for their own teammates, player voting should just be done for every non-statistical award (and I mean all sports, not just hockey).
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 8:52 am

SolidSnake wrote:

Devil's advocate to Sid?

The Coyotes beat writer doesn't watch Ovechkin every night. He doesn't know that he didn't show up for half the year. He looks at the stats. One player played a full season, one player missed 25% of his team's games and that team ran roughshod over the Eastern Conference. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's a very real scenario/possibility. We've seen it before.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:
Stick_Flex wrote:Hate trophies that are voted. Might as well draw straws.

I just hate media voting, bias plays too heavily into it. With the players, as hard as it may be for some to believe, most (most, not all) like and respect each other and don't have the same bias/hatred toward other teams and players that fans and members of the media do. As long as they're not allowed to vote for their own teammates, player voting should just be done for every non-statistical award (and I mean all sports, not just hockey).

Coaches, GMs, and prominent media should vote. The players haven't exactly yielded the best results when put up to a vote, IMO. I would have guessed they'd have some sort of enlightened view of their award but really they vote randomly on the flavor of the season it seems...that's why the Pearson/Lindsay is held in very weak regard, especially in the historical community, it's unclear what exactly it represents...

The players can vote for their own award and all, but I wouldn't want them voting on all of them...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins