Hart Trophy finalists are

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Hart Trophy finalists are

Postby mikey287 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:39 am

Henry Hank wrote:Actually it's almost exclusively gone to the leading scorer in recent years with the exception of Perry winning it a couple years ago.

Tip to the readers of this post: check out Corey Perry's finish to the season. Compare it to Ovechkin's finish. Then :scared:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 am

mikey287 wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Actually it's almost exclusively gone to the leading scorer in recent years with the exception of Perry winning it a couple years ago.

Tip to the readers of this post: check out Corey Perry's finish to the season. Compare it to Ovechkin's finish. Then :scared:

or when ovechkin won it in 09 when malkin won his first art ross.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 am

I say Sid should win it, of course i am a homer.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri May 10, 2013 12:03 pm

sil wrote:
shmenguin wrote:AO winning it this year isn't more outrageous than him winning over malkin in '08. that was butt.

If OV wins, someone could create a montage of clips from the first 2/3 of the season when OV stood around...skated away from hits...and watched the other team cycle and score from his team's blueline...all with the title "2013 NHL Most Valuable Player" at the bottom. That would look good for our sport.

You just stole Milbury and Roenick's intermission report for the next Caps-Rags game on NBC
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Fri May 10, 2013 12:03 pm

I really very surprised to not have Toews in there among the finalists. AO winning would be a joke based on his first 3 months of crap plus having basically the same point total as Sid in far fewer games. Tavarves is def. most valuable to his team criteria, anyone think he just might end up winning it as a 'compromise' vote between Sid and Ovie camps?
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TrueNorth on Fri May 10, 2013 12:19 pm

I read an interesting comment today about Crosby’s contribution to his team that justified awarding him the Hart, even though the team has excelled in his absence. The author (whose name escapes me) pointed to the role Crosby has played in shaping the players around him. There are no better examples of this than Kunitz and Dupuis. Playing with Crosby has elevated and fine-tuned their game to the point where they are now able to fly on their own...kind of like good parenting. Making everyone you play with better, surely has to factor in when it comes to choosing the MVP. Add to that what he accomplished before he was sidelined and I think a case can be made for awarding him the Hart. Unfortunately, many will no doubt look at Ovechkin's miraculous resurrection from the dead and overlook how he performed throughout the rest of the season.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Fri May 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Tavares would get my vote. Sid missed too many games, and Ovechkin was ordinary in too many games.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 pm

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 1h
In interest of disclosure, here's how I voted for Hart 1. Ovechkin; 2. Toews; 3. Crosby; 4. Kane; 5. Bobrovsky

Tavares not even in the Top 5, but 2 guys from the same team. Wow.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sniper on Fri May 10, 2013 12:55 pm

I'd vote for Tavares or Crosby. Ovechkin did nothing the first half of the season. His excuse was he was getting used to a new system so that's why I sucked. I don't see how that's better than I had a broken jaw so I couldn't play. Especially when they ended up with the same point total.

As far as the Pens continuing to win without Sid goes...Look at who was scoring most of the goals after Crosby got injured. Morrow, Iginla, Jokinen. It took 3 guys to replace his production. The three guys who weren't on the team for the first 3/4 of the year. Does the team continue to win without Crosby if they didn't pick up those 3 guys? Maybe, maybe not.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Good read rant from LeBrun over at ESPN about the sham of Ovechkin being in over Toews.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 pm

I think it's sad that people are writing off Sid just because he missed the last 12 games of the season. If he had missed the first 12 instead of the last, he would definitely win it, and I don't think that's right. In the shortened season, a good start was paramount (see: Flyers on the bad side, Ducks on the good). He drove his team to the top of the East on the back of a 15 game winning streak. They didn't improve their position without him because they couldn't.

Just a shame. Hopefully, Bettman steps in and gives us another fix.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 pm

I hate to say it, but I rank them 1) Ovie 1a) Tavares and 3) Crosby. Although it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, Ovie and Tavares were integral to their teams making the playoffs. The Pens were so loaded that losing Crosby for a month didn't hurt them. If it was for best player, Crosby by 87 light years, but as most valuable to the teams finish....well
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:37 pm

No Bobs! :(
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 1:45 pm

I don't recall "being integral to your team making the playoffs" being the qualifier for the Hart. Its a redundant scoring trophy. Whether it be for goal scoring or point scoring with the requisite being that your team made the playoffs. Its Ovechkin or Crosby.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't recall "being integral to your team making the playoffs" being the qualifier for the Hart. Its a redundant scoring trophy. Whether it be for goal scoring or point scoring with the requisite being that your team made the playoffs. Its Ovechkin or Crosby.

Clarifying my statement- Its supposed to be "the player most valuable to your team". I guess it is how you define valuable. To me, it would be which player was most responsible for the success of that team during the year. Washington was flat out horrible until Ovie decided to start playing well. Their fortunes went with his. Subtract Crosby for a month and the Pens continued to win. Tavares was the one true star on the Isles. Subtract him and the team fails. ( I WAS going to saying the same thing for Ovie, but after watching that gif in the NPR forum, I think I am retracting that statement. Washington might very well be better replacing him with a couple of other players (long term).)

In short, what I am saying is that this season, Ovie and Tavares were more valuable to their team's performance than Crosby was. I do hope Crosby wins it because I love him and dislike the other two. Just trying to be objective
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:13 pm

They(media) has never voted on the award that way. They always seem to go by "the player most valuable to your league" instead of "the player most valuable to your team".

Does anyone think Sid has a shot at the masterton?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 pm

CERV96 wrote:They(media) has never voted on the award that way. They always seem to go by "the player most valuable to your league" instead of "the player most valuable to your team".

Good- then hopefully Crosby can win it! Like I said, I really want him to.

Personally, yes I think he has a shot at the Masterton. That guy has been through so much and still comes back at the top of his game.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:55 pm

I think Tavares really might win it, you take him of the islanders and they are not a playoff team. AO didn't start doing well until he was reunited with backstrom, not alot if bad about the turn around backstrom has had this year. I believe lebrun said its backstrom that makes the captials engine go, not AO.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri May 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Out of the three, Tavares fits the "most valuable to his own team" criteria the most. It will probably go to the DC D-bag, though. :thumbdown:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Fri May 10, 2013 5:10 pm

CERV96 wrote:They(media) has never voted on the award that way. They always seem to go by "the player most valuable to your league" instead of "the player most valuable to your team".

yeah, arguing that this award is for anything other than who the voters think the best player is, is at best a semantics argument.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Isn't there less than 200 voters? How many have published their ballots? Someone add it up real quick...haha
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 6:02 pm

The more I think about it, the more I don't want Ovie to win it.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

jwest21 wrote:The more I think about it, the more I don't want Ovie to win it.

Especially when their fans are arguing it's not for best player, it's for most valuable to his team then they turn it around and use "more Harts"in a Sid-Ovie argument to prove why Ovie is better.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Just the other day I read a comment by someone who claimed AO had more heart and worked harder than Crosby and was way more responsible defensively than our ever floating captain. True story.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:Just the other day I read a comment by someone who claimed AO had more heart and worked harder than Crosby and was way more responsible defensively than our ever floating captain. True story.

Wow...just....wow
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins