The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 10:30 am

Am I the only one that appreciates how hard he works nearly every night? I really think he is a valuable role player on this team. I dont know what some of you expect. :face:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,165
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 10:32 am

I expect this thread to be merged with the old Tyler Kennedy thread.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,166
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby sil on Fri May 10, 2013 10:43 am

I've been telling you guys all year....

Spoiler:
Actually I haven't. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,042
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby CERV96 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 am

WEEEEEEEEEEEE!
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,665
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby ajh2298 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:45 am

Gaucho wrote:I expect this thread to be merged with the old Tyler Kennedy thread.


I expect the old Tyler Kennedy to merge with the new Tyler Kennedy and suck again.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,007
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:37 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:47 am

Don't you guys get it? He played a good game so that means all his previous play never happened and anyone who ever questioned him is an idiot
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,202
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 am

If he didn't tickle the twine last night, this thread would not exist.

That being said, I have always looked at TK as one of those playoff performer types. Something like Talbot was. It also doesn't hurt that he is playing for his next contract, kid is hungry.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,925
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Somewhere between point A and point B

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

When did he realize his contract is up? Yesterday?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,166
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri May 10, 2013 11:00 am

Gaucho wrote:When did he realize his contract is up? Yesterday?


Looks like it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,317
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Who is Sims?

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby MarioLives on Fri May 10, 2013 11:02 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:Don't you guys get it? He played a good game so that means all his previous play never happened and anyone who ever questioned him is an idiot



I now do get it......this is the exact way the board works....love you one day, hate you the next. :scared:
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby GDR on Fri May 10, 2013 11:06 am

    Player, position Playoff Game-Winning Goals
    1. Jaromir Jagr, RW 14
    2. Mario Lemieux, C 11
    3. Kevin Stevens, LW 8
    4. Ron Francis, C 8
    5. Evgeni Malkin, C 7
    6. Tyler Kennedy, C 6
    7. Sidney Crosby, C 5
    8. Maxime Talbot, C 4
    9. Michel Briere, C 3
    Rob Brown, RW 3
    Sergei Gonchar, D 3
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,111
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Froggy on Fri May 10, 2013 11:15 am

can we just say he played a good game and stay away from hyperbole in either direction?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,850
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby count2infinity on Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

Froggy wrote:can we just say he played a good game and stay away from hyperbole in either direction?


NEVAR!
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,458
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

his first few shifts of the game were more meaningful than the goal he scored. no matter what kind of slump he's in, there are 2 things kennedy always brings:

1) hustle
2) backchecking

sounds like something we could use right now. but he gets into trouble when he's not careful with the puck. there were 2 or 3 moments last night where this happened and it makes me a little nervous for tomorrow. it's a nice reward to put him back on the 3rd, but he absolutely shouldn't play with sutter anymore. they both suck when they're together. probably because sutter is never where TK expects him to be since he lags behind every rush and every breakout, and TK isn't smart enough to adjust. you see it all the time with these 2. kennedy is in the neutral zone waiting for support, and then craps himself because he's a couple miles in front of his center. on a related note, it seems like everyone kind of sucks when they play with sutter this year. probably for the same reason.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,247
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 am

That 3rd line didn't exactly tear it up during the regular season, so we'll see how long that sticks.

He and Vitale looked good out there last night.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,468
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Steve on Fri May 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Both TK's have scored some big playoff goals for the Pens.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,684
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Fire0nice228 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Its easy to be pumped up and flying when its your first game action in weeks, first playoff game of the season, and your trying to get that next contract. Kudos to TK for taking advantage of that chance, but it doesnt eliminate his invisibility during the regular season. Lets see what he does the rest of the playoffs.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,744
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:10 pm
Location: refs fault

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Shakes on Fri May 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Full credit to the guy for staying sharp, having a good attitude, and stepping up when needed.

Sweet pass reception, great finish. And when he plays like he did all game, he's the perfect bottom-six guy.

That said, he earned his spot on the bench. Just like he earned a spot in the lineup for Game 6.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,906
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

As I said before I believe the TK is solid player on this team, shows a lot of energy, and is a great role player. Many people under value him IMO and what he does for this team.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,165
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 10, 2013 12:54 pm

thepittman wrote:As I said before I believe the TK is solid player on this team, shows a lot of energy, and is a great role player. Many people under value him IMO and what he does for this team.


I agree, but you have to admit he had a underwhelming season.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,166
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Gaucho wrote:
thepittman wrote:As I said before I believe the TK is solid player on this team, shows a lot of energy, and is a great role player. Many people under value him IMO and what he does for this team.


I agree, but you have to admit he had a underwhelming season.

I think he worked every night this season getting the puck in the O zone and his shots on net create faceoffs on the good side of the ice. I see no downside to that.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,165
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Benching Kennedy lights a fire under him for 2-3 games. then he goes back to playing the same way. If he played the same game every night that he does after being benched, no one would complain about his play
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,142
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 1:08 pm

i'm one of the charter members of the TK fan club - he had a crap year. his scoring was disappointing, but i think that was mainly due to his issues with sutter than some big dip in his play. the reason he had a crap year was because he couldn't manage the puck. i don't know what the numbers would say, but it looked like he had more turnovers in 2013 than he did in 2008-2012 combined. if he keeps it simple, there's a place for him in the lineup, whether he's scoring or not.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,247
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby penmyst on Fri May 10, 2013 2:20 pm

shmenguin wrote:i'm one of the charter members of the TK fan club - he had a crap year. his scoring was disappointing, but i think that was mainly due to his issues with sutter than some big dip in his play. the reason he had a crap year was because he couldn't manage the puck. i don't know what the numbers would say, but it looked like he had more turnovers in 2013 than he did in 2008-2012 combined. if he keeps it simple, there's a place for him in the lineup, whether he's scoring or not.


That last part is the crux of the problem.

3rd line mentality TK is a useful contributor to the team.

1st line mentality TK is not.

He gets in trouble when he starts thinking he can play a "skill" style of game, and forgets that he doesn't have that kind of offensive talent. When he plays a grinder style of game, with a bit of offensive knack, he is more than serviceable at his price.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm

penmyst wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'm one of the charter members of the TK fan club - he had a crap year. his scoring was disappointing, but i think that was mainly due to his issues with sutter than some big dip in his play. the reason he had a crap year was because he couldn't manage the puck. i don't know what the numbers would say, but it looked like he had more turnovers in 2013 than he did in 2008-2012 combined. if he keeps it simple, there's a place for him in the lineup, whether he's scoring or not.


That last part is the crux of the problem.

3rd line mentality TK is a useful contributor to the team.

1st line mentality TK is not.

He gets in trouble when he starts thinking he can play a "skill" style of game, and forgets that he doesn't have that kind of offensive talent. When he plays a grinder style of game, with a bit of offensive knack, he is more than serviceable at his price.


it wasn't an issue before this season, and he started the year off playing really well. but eventually, i think he realized just how much of a gap there was between sutter and staal's offensive abilities and then (wrongly) decided to go rogue and try to create offense on his own. and maybe the fact that it's a contract year screwed up his game a little. in a blink, there were only 35 games left in the season and he had like 2 points playing on a hopeless line. so here comes the pressing again. that's not a justification or anything, but it might explain things a little.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,247
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jwest21, llipgh2, Sigwolf, Stillerz Bar, Take the Body Shoot the Puck, the wicked child and 20 guests


e-mail