The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Tico Rick on Fri May 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Froggy wrote:kennedy plays a different role than bennett or jokenin. it was obvious that we needed more speed, better forecheck, etc... and kennedy can play that role on an energy line more effectively than bennett or jokenin. not saying he is better than either player, but more effective in that role.


Yep. Against a fast team like the Islanders, Kennedy's speed is needed. But that doesn't mean he'll be the best choice to dress against other teams the Pens will face if they move on.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,313
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
Froggy wrote:kennedy plays a different role than bennett or jokenin. it was obvious that we needed more speed, better forecheck, etc... and kennedy can play that role on an energy line more effectively than bennett or jokenin. not saying he is better than either player, but more effective in that role.


Yep. Against a fast team like the Islanders, Kennedy's speed is needed. But that doesn't mean he'll be the best choice to dress against other teams the Pens will face if they move on.


His stats against Ottawa disagree.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,436
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Tico Rick on Fri May 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm not referring specifically to the next round - I'm thinking long-term.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,313
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm

I don't think he's been a healthy scratch since his rookie year. Even the , I'm not sure it happened.

I think it's funny when people attribute some sort of DB favoritism to Kennedy. He never gets PK time, doesn't play in the last minutes of close games and it took Eric Tangradi crapping himself for Kennedy to get a real shot in the top 6 - despite decent offensive numbers. I actually don't think bylsma is much of a Kennedy fan. But until Bennett, there hasn't been anyone remotely available to replace TK. So he's stayed in his spot.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,807
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 pm

jwest21 wrote:
Froggy wrote:i can't remember kennedy ever being a healthy scratch until late in the season this year

He has been a few times in previous seasons. I can't remember exactly when, but I do remember thinking when he came back that he looked much better.

I watch a lot of games and I don't remember him being a healthy scratch except for the end of this season. You made the claim of him coming back strong after being sat out for a few games, show the proof :pop:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,111
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm
Location: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:49 pm

thepittman wrote:
jwest21 wrote:
Froggy wrote:i can't remember kennedy ever being a healthy scratch until late in the season this year

He has been a few times in previous seasons. I can't remember exactly when, but I do remember thinking when he came back that he looked much better.

I watch a lot of games and I don't remember him being a healthy scratch except for the end of this season. You made the claim of him coming back strong after being sat out for a few games, show the proof :pop:

I wished I could prove it. If for no other reason than to convince myself that don't suffer from hockey-related delusions.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,091
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 pm

I guess I can prove it

https://m.espn.go.com/nhl/playerupdate? ... =3339&wjb=
Nov 8, 2007 (rookie year)-
Nov 17, 2007 (rookie year)- goal and 2 assists Nov 25
Dec 28, 2009 (Dec 29th- assist and "spirited play", Jan 3rd goal)
March 12, 2010 (March 18th goal)

Wished the list broke it up by year 2009 is about the middle of the page if it helps you find it. Was a couple less than I thought after his rookie yearm but he still played much better after the last 3 healthy scratches. Man was he injured a lot
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,091
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

through all this, I should state I am not a Kennedy hater. :D
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,091
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby bh on Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 am

Once again TK comes through in a big way. Another great game by man, bear, pig.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,504
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm

bh wrote:Once again TK comes through in a big way. Another great game by man, bear, pig.

He has earned a place in the lineup for now. His speed was a factor (in a good way)
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,091
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

things would have to get pretty grim for glass to be put back in the lineup at this point.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,807
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon May 13, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm sure it was brought up and the horse has been beaten about it...

The pass he made to Malkin. That's just not him. At. All.

As both "Bobbo" and "Steigy" would say.... Kennedy was gravitating towards the Kennedy spot of the ice to fire off his favorite shot.

But.

He.

Passed.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,772
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 13, 2013 3:51 pm

shmenguin wrote:things would have to get pretty grim for glass to be put back in the lineup at this point.


Pretty stark contrast considering what everyone thought about TK sitting in Game 1:

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61669&start=150#p2404496
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm pretty sure Glass will end up being needed in this series.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,242
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:things would have to get pretty grim for glass to be put back in the lineup at this point.


Pretty stark contrast considering what everyone thought about TK sitting in Game 1:

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61669&start=150#p2404496


lol. As if EVERYONE predicted Kennedy busting his ass the last several games and being one of the best players on the ice. I've been on record praising him the last several games, and it's been rightfully deserved. Don't act like it was such a clear-cut decision two weeks ago.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,068
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 pm

It was the right move to sit him. It was the right move to bring him back in - albeit a game late.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,807
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:things would have to get pretty grim for glass to be put back in the lineup at this point.


Pretty stark contrast considering what everyone thought about TK sitting in Game 1:

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61669&start=150#p2404496


lol. As if EVERYONE predicted Kennedy busting his ass the last several games and being one of the best players on the ice. I've been on record praising him the last several games, and it's been rightfully deserved. Don't act like it was such a clear-cut decision two weeks ago.

I did, however, note that he plays especially well after being a healthy scratch :D
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,091
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 14, 2013 11:36 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:things would have to get pretty grim for glass to be put back in the lineup at this point.


Pretty stark contrast considering what everyone thought about TK sitting in Game 1:

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61669&start=150#p2404496


lol. As if EVERYONE predicted Kennedy busting his ass the last several games and being one of the best players on the ice. I've been on record praising him the last several games, and it's been rightfully deserved. Don't act like it was such a clear-cut decision two weeks ago.


I don't think I indicated that you were wrong... its just different.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,255
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby columbia on Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 pm

He's looking good.

I guess he's striving for Max Talbot's "disappear during the regular season, get chicks and a fat contract off of the playoffs" routine.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,362
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 pm

getting him away from sutter has been the biggest difference, imo
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,807
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby columbia on Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Playing where should be - the 4th line - is definitely a factor.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,362
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 14, 2013 10:44 pm

He's definitely been the most consistent in terms of solid play in both ends, IMO.

Good forechecking, solid backchecking.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,436
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby champeen on Tue May 14, 2013 11:37 pm

columbia wrote:He's looking good.

I guess he's striving for Max Talbot's "disappear during the regular season, get chicks and a fat contract off of the playoffs" routine.


chicks? i don't think so....
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:29 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blurryhaze312, Pens Fan Since 1970, PghSkins, SubtropicalPenguin and 35 guests


e-mail