ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 9:52 am

I'd also say guys like Glass, Vitale, Adams and Neal play physical, not to mention Crosby. The only "finesse" guy would be Malkin and then guys like Martin, Niskanen and Despres/Eaton aren't too physical at the back end.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu May 16, 2013 10:02 am

Troy Loney wrote:
There has been some media chatter that the bad blood generated by the February incident in which Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke severed the Achilles tendon of Ottawa's Erik Karlsson could spill over in brawls and cheap shots, but I think each team realizes that the stakes are too high to get carried away. That said, Ottawa's physicality could wear down -- if not sideline -- Pittsburgh's key players, who all have a history of injury problems. Whatever physicality the Senators throw at them, the Pens will have to stand up to it without losing their discipline while handing out some punishment of their own

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/ne ... t=uk_wr_a1

When did ottawa start being recognized as a "physical" team? Is this all because of the Gryba hit?

The hit by Gryba or the hit on Gryba? :pop:
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 am

That was pre Gryba being knocked out, i'm guessing this guy is now writing an article asking if the senators can handle the penguin's physicality.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 am

Troy Loney wrote:I'd also say guys like Glass, Vitale, Adams and Neal play physical, not to mention Crosby. The only "finesse" guy would be Malkin and then guys like Martin, Niskanen and Despres/Eaton aren't too physical at the back end.

I don't know about Malkin. He's always been willing to mix it up, and at least to my eye, seemingly has laid out some people this year with some pretty big bodychecks -- more so than Sid does. That doesn't mean that Sid isn't physical, just that Malkin is a big dude who uses his body in a different way.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 10:09 am

slappybrown wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I'd also say guys like Glass, Vitale, Adams and Neal play physical, not to mention Crosby. The only "finesse" guy would be Malkin and then guys like Martin, Niskanen and Despres/Eaton aren't too physical at the back end.

I don't know about Malkin. He's always been willing to mix it up, and at least to my eye, seemingly has laid out some people this year with some pretty big bodychecks -- more so than Sid does. That doesn't mean that Sid isn't physical, just that Malkin is a big dude who uses his body in a different way.

I think it's just a difficult task to look for non physical players in a physical game. Malkin will definitely throw his body around, I see letang and crosby having a really similar "phyiscality" to their game, where they can generate strong checks in very small areas of space. they're just stronger on their skates then most players and can get good leverage and take people out with practically no speed.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 am

Malkin is a physical player and shows it by knocking people off pucks, defending the puck like a madman, and not afraid to participate in scrums. Calling him a finesse player is really limiting what he does. Now Jeff Skinner would be a good example of a finesse only guy.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 10:17 am

I'm aware....I think that with those quotation marks I was trying to indicate that he'd be the most finesse guy on the Penguins. If you had to pick the most finesse player among the Penguin forwards, who would you pick?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu May 16, 2013 10:38 am

Troy Loney wrote:I'm aware....I think that with those quotation marks I was trying to indicate that he'd be the most finesse guy on the Penguins. If you had to pick the most finesse player among the Penguin forwards, who would you pick?

Neal? Bennett?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 am

THIS IS THE PRE GAME ONE THREAD. GET OUT, ALL OF YOU

Spoiler:
GET OUT
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu May 16, 2013 10:51 am

There's too much time between games 1 and 2
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

Kaizer wrote:THIS IS THE PRE GAME ONE THREAD. GET OUT, ALL OF YOU

Spoiler:
GET OUT

Spoiler:
MAKE ME.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Thu May 16, 2013 1:11 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I'm aware....I think that with those quotation marks I was trying to indicate that he'd be the most finesse guy on the Penguins. If you had to pick the most finesse player among the Penguin forwards, who would you pick?

Neal? Bennett?

Definitely not Neal... The only finesse forwards I can think of are Jussi / Bennett.. and both are scratched right now. Pretty crazy if think about it
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 16, 2013 1:17 pm

IanMoran wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Neal? Bennett?

Definitely not Neal... The only finesse forwards I can think of are Jussi / Bennett.. and both are scratched right now. Pretty crazy if think about it

I think Crosby could fit the definition of "finesse":

1: refinement or delicacy of workmanship, structure, or texture
2: skillful handling of a situation : adroit maneuvering
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu May 16, 2013 1:22 pm

IanMoran wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Neal? Bennett?

I don't know, Neal doesn't really throw his body around too much IMO. His forecheck isn't Kunitz-like in ferocity, and I don't recall any big checks or hits. He's a sniper with an exceptional shot, and he plays his role well, but I don't see him as a physical player.

And re: jussi, he's historically played a lot of PK. Doesn't necessarily equate to physicality, but its not really consistent with what a "finesse" player is.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 16, 2013 1:24 pm

i feel like neal used to be a more versatile player. right after the trade and at the beginning of last season, he was all over the ice, doing a ton of things other than scoring. once he "made it", i think his discipline and work ethic has gone down the crapper a bit.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 1:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:i feel like neal used to be a more versatile player. right after the trade and at the beginning of last season, he was all over the ice, doing a ton of things other than scoring. once he "made it", i think his discipline and work ethic has gone down the crapper a bit.

His back checking seems to have declined, because there were times where I thought he excelled at that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Staggy on Thu May 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Some people even described his back checking as "Hossa-like" during his first season here when he wasn't scoring. That was probably somewhat of an exaggeration at the time but it seems like it has declined greatly since then.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins