ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby slappybrown on Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm

"toughness"

"the Sens might try something and we need a fighter"

I suspect those are your answers. Awful ones, but answers nonetheless.

I'd wait to see who actually plays first though before assuming Engo is in.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FrozenNuts on Mon May 13, 2013 2:48 pm

headh wrote:
according to Pens Report. Why on earth is HCDB demoting Despres for Engelland?

Englland doesn't trip over his own feet and can throw a hit.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby knives of ice on Mon May 13, 2013 2:52 pm

I think this is a much easier matchup than the Islanders, hopefully I'm correct.

However, can't stress enough that there may not be an easier draw to the cup finals anytime soon. Next year's realignment will on paper make things so much harder. The pens division next year is stacked and having to play two division opponents to even get to the ECF should be a much tougher path for years to come. Not to mention the fact that Detroit will be in the east next year.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Mon May 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
pcm wrote:
Simple facts about Ottawa:
-Weaker defense than the Isles

Definitely not a fact.

Definitely a fact. The Senators overall GAA and Save % is due to their goaltending. They allowed the 8th most Shots Against in the league. The Islanders had a very underrated defense. The Islanders allowed 28.2 shots against which was one of the lowest in the league. The bottom 10 to be exact.

Intangibles that stats don't show would be their mobility, effective transition game and ability to generate offense. That being said, they allow plenty of shots and the perception of how good their defense is, is completely inflated due to the strength of their goaltending.

The Penguins biggest challenges in this series is the Physicality and Goaltending. This will likely be a lower scoring series overall than the series with the Islanders. The Penguins match up better overall with the Senators than they did with the Islanders.

So your whole argument is based on the NYI allowing 3 less shots per game than OTT?

Check out here: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statisti ... 5+46+63+67

And then here: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statisti ... 5+46+63+67

Take a look at the collective Corsi ratings for one, but then take a glance at the roster and tell me that the Islanders have a better defense than the Sens. And that's not even getting into the fact that Anderson only played 24 games this season, so OTT #2 GA rating is hardly based solely on him.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon May 13, 2013 3:08 pm

On the topic of the Ottawa D. They were not hit very hard by Montreal, so the Pens are going to be in "good health". Pens are going to have to key on 2 or 3 key defenceman (Karlsson, Gonchar and Phillips) and pound them every shift. Grind them down so to speak.

Goalie Craig Anderssn is the X factor. Pens have to solve him because he has 'Steal a game' written all over him.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 pm

pcm wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
pcm wrote:
Simple facts about Ottawa:
-Weaker defense than the Isles

Definitely not a fact.

Definitely a fact. The Senators overall GAA and Save % is due to their goaltending. They allowed the 8th most Shots Against in the league. The Islanders had a very underrated defense. The Islanders allowed 28.2 shots against which was one of the lowest in the league. The bottom 10 to be exact.

Intangibles that stats don't show would be their mobility, effective transition game and ability to generate offense. That being said, they allow plenty of shots and the perception of how good their defense is, is completely inflated due to the strength of their goaltending.

The Penguins biggest challenges in this series is the Physicality and Goaltending. This will likely be a lower scoring series overall than the series with the Islanders. The Penguins match up better overall with the Senators than they did with the Islanders.

So your whole argument is based on the NYI allowing 3 less shots per game than OTT?

Check out here: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statisti ... 5+46+63+67

And then here: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statisti ... 5+46+63+67

Take a look at the collective Corsi ratings for one, but then take a glance at the roster and tell me that the Islanders have a better defense than the Sens. And that's not even getting into the fact that Anderson only played 24 games this season, so OTT #2 GA rating is hardly based solely on him.

Wow...I'm definitely behind the ball on all these stat sites. That's pretty awesome.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Jarved Komet on Mon May 13, 2013 3:21 pm

Pens in 4. Pens sweep, make'm weep.
The Jarved Komet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I'd love to see them come out and 2009 Hurricanes a team here this year, but I don't think that's happening.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Sounds crazy, but nothing could be scarier than what we just went through with the Islanders. Our offense never had the puck. We never had zone time or a forecheck. We were at such a speed disadvantage that many of our players were essentially taken out of the series. Our goalie stunk. The Islanders routinely had a handful of 3 minute stretches per game where they looked like they had an extra player on the ice. Long stretches of play where we looked like we didn't belong on the same ice surface as them. We were fortunate to survive and advance.

Is there any way the Senators can bring all that to the table? I don't think they can, so I'm feeling better about this than I was about Pens vs Isles in the latter part of the series.

*Could we lose this series? Yes. But are we worried about them because they just beat Montreal? Nothing about this team should really scare the Penguins. The Islanders had a huge advantage on team speed....which resulted in the Pens playing 80% of the games in this past series on defense. Don't think the Sens can do that to us.

*Some of the slower Penguins (like Morrow) will be factors in this series. Because the Isles always had the puck and we never set up shop in their zone, guys banging in front of the net and hammering bodies in deep were never part of the series. Guys like Iginla, Morrow, etc...are going to be big factors. We will actually be able to grind, cycle, play with the puck, etc....

*Penguins hitting OTT defense on the forecheck will be fun to watch. Kunitz, Morrow, Cooke, Vitale, etc...were not factors on the forecheck for most of the NYI series. They retrieved the puck and got back on offense so quickly we never got to "Bylsma hockey" where we were making their D pay the price and grinding the other team down. This series we should be able to see some of that. Also, Karlsson and Gonchar are guys that you can target and hopefully slow down over a 7 game series.

*OTT powerplay is scarier than NYI simply due to Karlsson and Gonchar. NYI were finding a groove late in the series though, they just couldn't convert on the tic-tac-toe plays.

*Anderson is a good goalie but I expect us to have WAY more zone time and quality scoring chances against him than we did vs Nabokov. Nabokov looked so awful because we would get dominated for 15 minutes in a row and then in 1 rush we would get a shot and get a goal. I expect Anderson to make more saves and allow less "soft" goals but I expect to put up 40 shots per game.

*I think this series will be more fun to watch than the NYIs. That last series was miserable.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Staggy on Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I hope Cooke comes out and smashes Karlsson through the glass on the first shift. And I hope he's okay and we continue to do that to him for hopefully 4 or 5 games.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sensfan101 on Mon May 13, 2013 3:41 pm

This is going to be a great series. I'm a pretty realistic Sens fan and know the Pens will be more then a handful for the Sens D. I see a split at the Energy Center and another split at SBP. From there we have a best of 3 with 2 at the Energy Center. It's a pretty tall order, but i see it going to a game 7. Stranger things have happened in game 7's. :)
sensfan101

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Guinness wrote:Even though the Islanders carried play for what seemed the majority of the series, and did a good job of keeping the Pens hemmed in their zone at many times, at best they kept PGH from exploding on them. PGH scored over 4 goals per game on average, while it took a monumental effort by NYI to disrupt them.

It was essentially a perfectly executed game plan for a little over half of the 18+ periods of play from a speedy, hungry team. Additionally, leaky goaltending and lackadaisical team defense made it a much more interesting series than it ought to have been. In order for Ottawa to win the series, they're going to have to have the same elements in play, only better, obviously.

Taking the negative and turning it upside down. Love it.

The Islanders gave everything they had, took away the neutral zone and dominated in time of possession for much of the series and the pens still won! In fact, the pens only trailed in the series for 14 minutes in game 3 (games 1 and 5 when the series was also tied ended up being a shutout and blowout). How did the pens respond to that "adversity"? 4 straight goals and a win. How did the pens respond to the "adversity" of a goalie change in game 5? 4 straight goals and a win. How did the pens respond to the talk of previous post season "adversity" early in game 1? 4 straight goals and a win.

Moral of the story is; You give the pens adversity and they light you up with 4 straight goals and walk away with a win.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GreenLantern on Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 pm

The additions of Morrow, Iginla and Murray are going to shine in this round as veteran leadership becomes even more important, and physical games are their forte.

St. Louis/LA was the series of the first round, but this definitely has the potential to be the series of the second round.

Pens in 6!
GreenLantern

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon May 13, 2013 4:27 pm

The Sens looked really good in round 1. Was that due to Montreal running out of gas in the last few weeks of the season or is it because the Sens are getting healthy and playing really good hockey? Add that to a hot goaltender and this has the makings of a very bad series for the Pens.

My pens fan prediction - Pens in 6
My realistic prediction - Sens in 6
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon May 13, 2013 4:28 pm

sensfan101 wrote:This is going to be a great series. I'm a pretty realistic Sens fan and know the Pens will be more then a handful for the Sens D. I see a split at the Energy Center and another split at SBP. From there we have a best of 3 with 2 at the Energy Center. It's a pretty tall order, but i see it going to a game 7. Stranger things have happened in game 7's. :)

Welcome to the Board! ...dont be a **** :D :fist:

I could see this going 7 games but I think one of the two teams will be able to close it out in 6.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

This is what we thought about the Canadiens three years ago. I'm seeing all the same linguistics here.
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon May 13, 2013 4:35 pm

sensfan101 wrote:This is going to be a great series. I'm a pretty realistic Sens fan and know the Pens will be more then a handful for the Sens D. I see a split at the Energy Center and another split at SBP. From there we have a best of 3 with 2 at the Energy Center. It's a pretty tall order, but i see it going to a game 7. Stranger things have happened in game 7's. :)

what's your take on the cooke/ek sliced ligament drama?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon May 13, 2013 4:36 pm

DocEmrick wrote:This is what we thought about the Canadiens three years ago. I'm seeing all the same linguistics here.

Samesies
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slipshod on Mon May 13, 2013 4:43 pm

These are going to be much closer, much lower scoring games. I think the Sens are better than the Isles in many categories but the style match-up favors the Pens in this one. The speed teams are the ones that have given the Pens problems and the Sens aren't a speed team. They aren't slow but they aren't Islanders/Maple Leafs fast either. This is also, why we should want to see a Bruins / Rangers match-up on the other side.

I just don't see the Sens having the speed to disrupt the Pens like the Isles did which means more possession time for the Pens which is bad news for any opponent. I don't think it's a cakewalk and the Sens will warrior out a couple wins but Pens in 6.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby slipshod on Mon May 13, 2013 4:49 pm

DocEmrick wrote:This is what we thought about the Canadiens three years ago. I'm seeing all the same linguistics here.

You didn't see the word "Vokoun" three years ago. I remember Fleury letting in some horrible goals in that series. Iginla, Morrow, Murray... other linguistics you didn't see three years ago. Unless the Sens pull a Cammalieri out from under the bench somewhere I don't see it being the same. The only way it could be similar is if Anderson becomes a magic wall like Halak did. That's what it will take.
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rocco on Mon May 13, 2013 4:55 pm

It should also be mentioned that for all the talk about the Islanders' great speed, they didn't score a lot off the rush. They scored because of Pens turnovers or MAF putting the puck into his own net. When the Isles really tried to open things up the Pens diced them.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon May 13, 2013 5:00 pm

^this guy has penguin killer roots. 8-) He will have to be neutralized. :!:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Mon May 13, 2013 5:03 pm

That Montreal series was the beginning of the "we've got the two best players in the world; who can stop us?" arrogance/mentality that has been the Pens downfall to date. This Pens team has a lot more secondary scoring that will make it pretty near impossible to shutdown the Pens offense the way Halak did.

Even if the Pens continue their arrogant sloppiness, it will take the Sens firing on all cyclinders to beat us. I personally think winning this series against the Isle will exercise 80% of those demons. The final 20% will cause the Pens to play 2 bad periods, which will cost them 2 games. Pens in 6.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby America on Mon May 13, 2013 5:23 pm

I see a sweep.
America
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby America on Mon May 13, 2013 5:24 pm

And I think MAF starts game 1.
America
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins