ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby Penspal on Tue May 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:I'm planning to have my game cocktails in my Gary Roberts Memorial Fiji Water bottle.

Good juju with Fiji, or is it too much, man...?

that is extremely good juju. I've 3xp3ri3nc3d that juju and it is almost too strong for game 1, but we need to win game 1. DO IT~
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby k0la on Tue May 14, 2013 12:38 pm

ScottishPenguin wrote:Seeing a lot of talk about goalies but not much about coaches. Kinda weird when we've spent so much of the last fortnight arguing about whether Bylsma should be fired or set on fire. Or fired, set on fire and fired into the Sun. I'm at least as concerned about MacLean vs Bylsma as I am Anderson vs Fleury/Vokoun.

Will also add my voice to the start Vokoun camp, and not merely because he's the goalie in form. Even though Fleury at his best is probably better than Vokoun at his best, I think Vokoun is a better fit for this team. We're an offense-heavy team that plays high scoring games. The flip side of that is that we will give up chances and we will get scored on. All else being equal, we're better off with a calm, stoic goalie than a breakdancing lunatic.

I always liked Fleury for this team because of that. He does manage to make some unbelievable stops on breakaways and 2 on 1. It's sustained pressure/second opportunities that makes him flop around. But Penguins has been getting outshoot a lot more this season than before.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MarioLives on Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 pm

The Sens have some size on the back end. I wonder what you all think about that? Do you prefer smaller faster defensemen, like the Pens have, or size like this? I imagine there are positives to having both. I would like the Pens to have more size, I think it helps wear down the opposing players.

Marc Methot (6-foot-3, 231 pounds)
Jared Cowen (6-foot-5, 230)
Chris Phillips (6-foot-3, 221)
Eric Gryba (6-foot-4, 222)

Pens main Defensemen

Mark Eaton 6-1 214
Kris Letang 6-0 200
Paul Martin 6-1
Douglas Murray 6-3
Matt Niskanen 6-0
Brooks Orpik 6-2
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:08 pm

MarioLives wrote:The Sens have some size on the back end. I wonder what you all think about that? Do you prefer smaller faster defensemen, like the Pens have, or size like this? I imagine there are positives to having both. I would like the Pens to have more size, I think it helps wear down the opposing players.

Pens main Defensemen

Mark Eaton 6-1 214
Kris Letang 6-0 200
Paul Martin 6-1
Douglas Murray 6-3
Matt Niskanen 6-0
Brooks Orpik 6-2

If we can get through the neutral zone with speed and develop a forecheck, we'll be able to work the bigger defensemen. If the Sens employ the same strategy that the Isles did, we'll be in trouble trying to knock these guys off the puck. If we can get a forecheck going and be right on top of these bigger defensemen, we should be able to beat them to pucks, or at least disrupt their outlet pass.

Let's remember that Montreal didn't have a ton of talented forwards and we will bring a whole new look to the Sens blueline. I think we'll fare a lot better against the Sens than we did against the Isles.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:11 pm

Methot is soff.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:29 pm

An Engelland Murray pairing scares the hell out of me.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

farnham16 wrote:An Engelland Murray pairing scares the hell out of me.

Me too, skating in mud and all of that.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

Not only no skating ability, but also zero puck skills from either guy. This is a nightmare pairing.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Tue May 14, 2013 1:43 pm

CBC is showing all the games in this series with Hughson and Simpson calling the games.

Will NBC have their own team (sad face) or will we get to listen to those guys (happy face)?
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

I like Emerick, Edzo, Inglam, Michaletti, and yes I really like Pierre. I just can't stand Milbury and Roenick, who we will get no matter what.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

I still think if we win it won't be because they are a better matchup or have less speed.

To win its goin to come down to us getting a solid breakout and being able to get sustained pressure in the other end enough. Sure some of that has to do with speed off of turnovers but those mostly come because of mot being able to do what I mentioned first.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:47 pm

To win, the Pens just have to play much better than they did in round 1. Period. That kind of crap ain't gonna fly this round.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 14, 2013 1:48 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Not only no skating ability, but also zero puck skills from either guy. This is a nightmare pairing.

Sounds like a solid Bylsmadjustment :thumb:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Tue May 14, 2013 2:03 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
MarioLives wrote:The Sens have some size on the back end. I wonder what you all think about that? Do you prefer smaller faster defensemen, like the Pens have, or size like this? I imagine there are positives to having both. I would like the Pens to have more size, I think it helps wear down the opposing players.

Pens main Defensemen

Mark Eaton 6-1 214
Kris Letang 6-0 200
Paul Martin 6-1
Douglas Murray 6-3
Matt Niskanen 6-0
Brooks Orpik 6-2

If we can get through the neutral zone with speed and develop a forecheck, we'll be able to work the bigger defensemen. If the Sens employ the same strategy that the Isles did, we'll be in trouble trying to knock these guys off the puck. If we can get a forecheck going and be right on top of these bigger defensemen, we should be able to beat them to pucks, or at least disrupt their outlet pass.

Let's remember that Montreal didn't have a ton of talented forwards and we will bring a whole new look to the Sens blueline. I think we'll fare a lot better against the Sens than we did against the Isles.

This is one area i think the Pens have a huge advantage. Big defenseman who are slower than the Isles blue line get eaten alive by the Pens forecheck.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dcpensfan on Tue May 14, 2013 2:05 pm

owtahear wrote:I love Game 1's........... It is the least pressure I feel in watching a playoff series so it is the most relaxed I am.

I feel that way if they were the lower seed and playing on the road. In that case if they did lose game 1, I'm still feeling ok as long as they weren't totally dominated - I'm curious as to how Isles fans were feeling after game 1.
dcpensfan

Postby Jamie on Tue May 14, 2013 2:18 pm

As I type this sitting on a white sandy beach at Couples Swept Away in Jamaica 8-) here is my prediction. If the Pens play the way they are capable and with determination they should win in 5 or 6. If they duplicate the effort vs the Isles, they lose in 5 or 6.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Jamie wrote:As I type this sitting on a white sandy beach at Couples Swept Away in Jamaica 8-) here is my prediction. If the Pens play the way they are capable and with determination they should win in 5 or 6. If they duplicate the effort vs the Isles, they lose in 5 or 6.

LOVE that resort! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Tue May 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I say the team is talented enough to play like poo and still win. Never have they had that type of talent or ability before. I think this team has yet another round of stinkers in them....yet the Pens win in 6. I don't give Ottawa too much credit even though they beat the MTL. I actually think they are less talented than the NYI with the exception of goaltending. Pens will be outshot and outplayed, but the shots Anderson will see will be high quality, much more high quality that he saw against MTL.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue May 14, 2013 2:35 pm

the errey i breathe wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:Sorry but I agree with Mike Colligan -- why should Vokoun be rewarded for his good play by being benched?

Why are you sorry that you agree with someone?

Err..... :?

I guess it's just a worded response to people that are upset that Fleury isn't getting the start tonight. Though I probably shouldn't be sorry for having an opinion. Sometimes us ladies say "sorry" a lot. :slug:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Tue May 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Penspal wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:I'm planning to have my game cocktails in my Gary Roberts Memorial Fiji Water bottle.

Good juju with Fiji, or is it too much, man...?

that is extremely good juju. I've 3xp3ri3nc3d that juju and it is almost too strong for game 1, but we need to win game 1. DO IT~

Spoiler:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:34 pm

i just think its funny reading comments online and Sens fans seem so confident they will win because they think Anderson is the best goalie to ever suit up and somehow their defense is amazing. They might be a decent team but if the Pens play their game they should be fine. Its funny you would think after playing the Isles i would be nervous or hesitant but honestly Ottawa doesnt scare me. I dont see why we cant win this unless we play as bad as the isles series or worse and hurt ourselves
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue May 14, 2013 3:42 pm

littlemoonboot wrote: Sometimes us ladies say "sorry" a lot. :slug:

Yeah, why do you all do that? By now you should know that the standard response to anything a married woman says is "Yes Dear". :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Headshot77 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm

iWonTheCup87 wrote:...but if the Pens play their game they should be fine...

Sir, it is comments like this that could get you permabanned from this forum :lol:
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue May 14, 2013 4:04 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I like Emerick, Edzo, Inglam, Michaletti, and yes I really like Pierre. I just can't stand Milbury and Roenick, who we will get no matter what.

Doc is great.
Edzo holds a serious grudge against the pens organization and lets it show in his commentary.
Michaletti is an MSG homer who is horrendous to listen to when the penguins are playing either the rangers or islanders.
Pierre is fine as long as you can handle his quirky little informational asides.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Who the hell is Inglam?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins