ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby DocEmrick on Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 am

Ottawa's gonna take this series. Karma for the Karllson bs.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun May 12, 2013 10:13 am

Sens in 3. Pens will surrender after losing the first 3 by a combined score of 26-0 and hand over Matt Cooke as a peace offering.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Sun May 12, 2013 10:18 am

mariojr wrote:I tend to agree with Henry Hank. The Pens don't necessarily ever learn. They'll go back to playing lackadaisical hockey until they face losing, then they'll try to flip the switch. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

Vokoun gives them the best chance of winning, and I certainly hope DB sees it that way.

I hope they keep Iginla with Crosby and Kunitz with Malkin, but no matter the lines, if they don't move their feet, if they don't come back and support the defense rather than sitting in the neutral zone waiting for the stretch pass that rarely arrives, and if they keep turning it over, they're going to struggle. The Sens have more talent to actually put the puck in the net as well as better goaltending (anyone has to be better than Nabokov was this series).

I'm still gonna predict Pens in six, however. What I said last night was in frustration from watching how they were playing. I went with Pens in six the first round, and that turned out to be accurate.

I hope that the Pens win but I don't know if this team is ever going to learn a lesson. They haven't after the last 3 playoffs and they didn't as this series went on. I consider the Pens as masters of their destiny. If they pull their heads out of their collective butts than they'll win. They seem not to want to do so under DB. Maybe they wouldn't do so under a different coach and personnel changes are needed.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby midd on Sun May 12, 2013 10:27 am

The Senators are done with the Karlson incident. It's playoff hockey, not a regular season game. There's no more motivation behind it since Karlson is back in the lineup.

I say put MAF back in net for game one. The Sens are not as fast as the Isles were and the D should be able to stay with the Sens in their zone. MAF was not the blame for all of the goals. The D was bad because they couldn't cover the speedy forwards.
midd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 am

-does ottawa have anyone on D to troll geno?
-can they bring the forecheck like the islanders?
-can our slow defensemen survive?
-are we still freaking idiots?

i have no idea, but game 1 should give us the answers.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun May 12, 2013 10:55 am

DocEmrick wrote:Ottawa's gonna take this series. Karma for the Karllson bs.

karma for what?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am

Unfortunately, I'm with the Sens in 6 group. The Sens aren't great, but they're a solid, organized, hard-working team with better defense and goaltending than the Isles. That seems like it should be enough to beat the Pens with the way they're playing.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun May 12, 2013 11:11 am

Predictions for the series:
- Bylsma get his head out his @$$ despite having to coach against both Paul MacLean and his doppelganger. :shock:
- Fleury redeems himself, shutting out the Sens at least once.
- Cooke is a major factor in the series and scores shorthanded on the PK.
- Pens in 6.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun May 12, 2013 11:17 am

Very difficult to predict this series, the way the Pens play. If they play every game like last night - they will be swept. If they play like game 5, I think they win this series. So most likely, the series will go 6 or 7 games with the Pens dominating at times and the Sens dominating at times too - the series will be close.

The Sens are very good - it'll be a tough test for the Pens, since they are so good on defense and in goal.

Prior to the playoffs, I thought if the Pens got out of the first round, they would start to gel and be even tougher to beat - I think we'll see that from our team in this series.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddiefromirwin on Sun May 12, 2013 11:45 am

I don't think the Karlsson issue will be dead by any means. Ottawa will try to use this to their advantage. They will be very physical in the process. However, I think the pens are much more capable of dealing with this type of game than a speed game.

The sens will get pounded, both on the ice and on the scoreboard.

Pens in 5.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Sun May 12, 2013 11:46 am

MATT KASSIAN-ZACK SMITH-CHRIS NEIL
DANIEL ALFREDSSON-KYLE TURRIS-COLIN GREENING
MILAN MICHALEK-MIKA ZIBANEJAD-JAKOB SILFVERBERG
ERIK CONDRA-JEAN-GABRIEL PAGEAU-CORY CONACHER

MARC METHOT-ERIK KARLSSON
JARED COWEN-SERGEI GONCHAR
CHRIS PHILLIPS-ERIC GRYBA

I see a team with a solid goaltender, solid defense through and through, and lots of youth balanced by grizzled vets. They're well-round, well-coached. Their two best players are Anderson and Karlsson.

It'll take a team with stellar goaltending to neutralize the Pens talent advantage. The Sens have that potential. This series will come down to who wants it more.

I think the Pens have gotten the monkey off their back. I think they've not tasted victory in so long, that they'd become arrogant about their ideas of themselves...like a guy who should be able to get women, but ends up shooting himself in the foot. Now that they've gotten one under their belts, they can settle down and play a more patient game.

Adversity is a necessary part of the road to the stanley cup. Getting that in round will help them iron out the rest of the kinks here in rnd 2 against the sens, so that they'll be prepared for all out war against Was/Bos/Chi/SJ etc.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Sun May 12, 2013 11:52 am

The Pens are built to beat any style. Want to play physical, fast, slow it down, trap, whatever - the top 3 lines can deal with all of that - and they can interchange some of the 4th liners, depending on the opponent.

I think the Pens are fully aware that they can't make the mistakes, lazy and sloppy plays, that they made against the islanders. There seems to be a difference too often though, in what they know, and what they do haha.

Ups and downs of playoff hockey - we'll see more of that in round two!

Alot of generalizations and simplification in this post - but really it's going to boil down to fundamentals in this series, like it often does.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun May 12, 2013 11:59 am

I want to see Jokinen back in the lineup and centering Morrow and Cooke.
Take your pick of wingers for Sutter, but let him handle the fourth line; though I would definitely include Vitale for both his speed and ability to step into the faceoff circle.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby The Snapshot on Sun May 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Nice job from all of the experts on here picking the Sens.

The Sens did not play very well down the stretch. They looked like they were going to fall out of the playoffs. They have limited scoring and nobody up front capable of being relied upon to score when they need it. Their D is big, but I can guarantee you that the Habs forwards did not pressure them the way they will be pressured by our forwards. The top two lines are now as they should have been from Game 1 of Crosby's return. Letang is better all around than Karllson. Their victory over the Habs was a gift from a weakened Montreal team that most likely would not have made the playoffs had there been a 82 game season. Price not only stunk in the playoffs, but down the stretch as well.

The Pens will pressure the Sens D and hit them. Their bigger D are not all that mobile. We hit Chara and we will hit them without fear. The Pens will possess the puck more than against the Isles. They will not be beaten by the young forwards the Sens now rely on of necessity.

Pens will win this in 5 or 6, not because I want them to, but because some of the experts on here continually ignore the psychology of this beautiful sport and focus on Xs and Os. The Pens will win because they are better at every position from the neck up, and our talent will negate their biggest perceived advantage in goal. That will be the series in simple terms. We will cut Sampson's hair when we beat their bald goalie.

These same experts point to all of the shots the Isles got, the fact that the Isles got the Pens to turn pucks over, etc. I would point to the fact that the Pens responded in almost every instance to a key Isles score with one of their own. I would point to the fact that they never allowed the Isles to get a back breaker. That they won in a very hostile environment with their A game when it counted, after hanging in there with their B game.

It was a great tune up. It proved to me and most-likely to themselves that they were resilient and mentally strong. That doesn't need to come from a sweep where we dominated for all 12 periods. Last year was an anomoly. I know the Kings only lost a few games last year en route to their Cup - but that is far from normal.

The Pens will need a short series somewhere along the way no doubt, but I am proud of the way they responded to a very game Isles team despite having to replace their "franchise" goalie.

Playoffs are like heavyweight fights. You don't have to win every round. Sometimes the challenger who is picked as a "tune up" proves to be more than expected. Bully fighters who are favored crumble when they get punched back. This team, all year, fought adversity and showed it could take a punch. Fleury punched them in the face. The Isles rained punches on them right and left. Their cut man was busy in their corner, but when the Final bell rang they found enough to put the Isles down, down on points on all cards last night. They also have several 10-8 rounds in the series though as well - and they never had to get up off the canvas - possubly being staggared in Game 4 but not down.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun May 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Pens in 5, Ottawa blows, they're old and slow. We'll break Anderson.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun May 12, 2013 12:46 pm

What I am really curious to see in this series is if the Pens really were the victim of poor matchups the past two playoff series. On one hand I agree that the Isles speed was somewhat unique and problematic especially with our slow defense. On the other hand people tend to forget that in the last two series for us as,much as we blame Fleury, we also won or stayed in the games because the Isles and Flyers defense/goalies were just as bad as ours.

In all honesty I haven't seen much of Ottawa this year. We have had problems all year with teams that bottle you up in the neutral zone. NJ and Boston we didn't quite pour it on offensively.

But this is the playoffs and things are different. Anderson while not a hall if famer is good enough to not lose games or give up shaky goals.

Deep down they don't seem to have horses up front so I think the Pens will get better as the series rolls on.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Pens in 6.

Our 7th man is the Ottawa media, who will impose an unbearable, unreasonable, and unwarranted distraction on the Sens, pressuring them to seek retribution for any perceived or real injustices imposed by the Pens on the Sens from time immemorial.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mbowman14 on Sun May 12, 2013 2:01 pm

1. Ottawa beat worst EC playoff team over the last month in rd 1.
2. During regular season, pens worst games came against speedy leafs and isles (sens don't have that kind of speed)
3. While offensively gifted karlsson is not great in his own end and pens forechecking will attack him.
4. During postgame PC last night HCDB admitted team was fighting bad 1st round memories. I think they will play better and to win as opposed to not to lose from here on out.
Pens in 5 or 6.
Last edited by mbowman14 on Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbowman14

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 pm

The penguins should work non-stop over the next few days on gap control. Stepping up at the blue line, back checking hard, and not forcing things offensively. To beat Anderson they will need to learn how to get shots off of the cycle much better than against Nabokov.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Penguins in 5 or 6.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Sun May 12, 2013 2:17 pm

The Pens and Sens played 3 times this year. The Pens won all 3.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Sun May 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Rocco wrote:The Pens and Sens played 3 times this year. The Pens won all 3.

This and $6.00 will get you a venti latte at Starbucks.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby owtahear on Sun May 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Pens in 6. More physical series plays in the hands of our trade deadline acquisitions. I think the 1st rd was alot of monkey on the backs of this team coupled with MAF's meltdown. We are now past this.....I expect to see more of the team that went 22-3 down the stretch.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun May 12, 2013 2:56 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:
Rocco wrote:The Pens and Sens played 3 times this year. The Pens won all 3.

This and $6.00 will get you a venti latte at Starbucks.

My point is that any talk about this being a bad matchup for the Pens should go away. It's not a bad matchup. The Pens went in to Ottawa missing a ton of firepower against a Senators team that had to win and punted them. If the Pens can avoid being rock-stupid they can handle Ottawa.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun May 12, 2013 2:59 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Nice job from all of the experts on here picking the Sens.

The Sens did not play very well down the stretch. They looked like they were going to fall out of the playoffs. They have limited scoring and nobody up front capable of being relied upon to score when they need it. Their D is big, but I can guarantee you that the Habs forwards did not pressure them the way they will be pressured by our forwards. The top two lines are now as they should have been from Game 1 of Crosby's return. Letang is better all around than Karllson. Their victory over the Habs was a gift from a weakened Montreal team that most likely would not have made the playoffs had there been a 82 game season. Price not only stunk in the playoffs, but down the stretch as well.

The Pens will pressure the Sens D and hit them. Their bigger D are not all that mobile. We hit Chara and we will hit them without fear. The Pens will possess the puck more than against the Isles. They will not be beaten by the young forwards the Sens now rely on of necessity.

Pens will win this in 5 or 6, not because I want them to, but because some of the experts on here continually ignore the psychology of this beautiful sport and focus on Xs and Os. The Pens will win because they are better at every position from the neck up, and our talent will negate their biggest perceived advantage in goal. That will be the series in simple terms. We will cut Sampson's hair when we beat their bald goalie.

These same experts point to all of the shots the Isles got, the fact that the Isles got the Pens to turn pucks over, etc. I would point to the fact that the Pens responded in almost every instance to a key Isles score with one of their own. I would point to the fact that they never allowed the Isles to get a back breaker. That they won in a very hostile environment with their A game when it counted, after hanging in there with their B game.

It was a great tune up. It proved to me and most-likely to themselves that they were resilient and mentally strong. That doesn't need to come from a sweep where we dominated for all 12 periods. Last year was an anomoly. I know the Kings only lost a few games last year en route to their Cup - but that is far from normal.

The Pens will need a short series somewhere along the way no doubt, but I am proud of the way they responded to a very game Isles team despite having to replace their "franchise" goalie.

Playoffs are like heavyweight fights. You don't have to win every round. Sometimes the challenger who is picked as a "tune up" proves to be more than expected. Bully fighters who are favored crumble when they get punched back. This team, all year, fought adversity and showed it could take a punch. Fleury punched them in the face. The Isles rained punches on them right and left. Their cut man was busy in their corner, but when the Final bell rang they found enough to put the Isles down, down on points on all cards last night. They also have several 10-8 rounds in the series though as well - and they never had to get up off the canvas - possubly being staggared in Game 4 but not down.

I support this.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins