ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby America on Sun May 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Ottawa is about to get smacked.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sun May 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Doesn't a star player returning cause that player's team to lose their freaking mind and play like idiots? I'm pretty sure that happens 100% of the time if my memory serves me correctly. So I hope Spezza does come back for Game 1.

:pop:
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Sun May 12, 2013 5:11 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:Pens in 5, Ottawa blows, they're old and slow. We'll break Anderson.

I'll also say Pens in 5, and I agree with your other points. Pens need to take it to their older players, right from the start, and focus the hits where they will do the most damage. Single out 55 and hit him hard, every chance they get. Same goes for 4 and 11. Those three should have targets on them.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Sun May 12, 2013 5:15 pm

And Cooke should do everything he can, both on the ice and in the media, to agitate as much as possible.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ScottishPenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 6:10 pm

I do too much math.

Based on performances of both teams over the course of the year, taking into account how well their opposition was playing at the time, and weighting recent results heavier than distant ones:

Pens in 4: 9.68%
Pens in 5: 18.10%
Pens in 6: 18.08%
Pens in 7: 17.67%
Sens in 4: 3.77%
Sens in 5: 7.91%
Sens in 6: 12.41%
Sens in 7: 12.38%
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun May 12, 2013 6:20 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Nice job from all of the experts on here picking the Sens.

The Sens did not play very well down the stretch. They looked like they were going to fall out of the playoffs. They have limited scoring and nobody up front capable of being relied upon to score when they need it. Their D is big, but I can guarantee you that the Habs forwards did not pressure them the way they will be pressured by our forwards. The top two lines are now as they should have been from Game 1 of Crosby's return. Letang is better all around than Karllson. Their victory over the Habs was a gift from a weakened Montreal team that most likely would not have made the playoffs had there been a 82 game season. Price not only stunk in the playoffs, but down the stretch as well.

The Pens will pressure the Sens D and hit them. Their bigger D are not all that mobile. We hit Chara and we will hit them without fear. The Pens will possess the puck more than against the Isles. They will not be beaten by the young forwards the Sens now rely on of necessity.

Pens will win this in 5 or 6, not because I want them to, but because some of the experts on here continually ignore the psychology of this beautiful sport and focus on Xs and Os. The Pens will win because they are better at every position from the neck up, and our talent will negate their biggest perceived advantage in goal. That will be the series in simple terms. We will cut Sampson's hair when we beat their bald goalie.

These same experts point to all of the shots the Isles got, the fact that the Isles got the Pens to turn pucks over, etc. I would point to the fact that the Pens responded in almost every instance to a key Isles score with one of their own. I would point to the fact that they never allowed the Isles to get a back breaker. That they won in a very hostile environment with their A game when it counted, after hanging in there with their B game.

It was a great tune up. It proved to me and most-likely to themselves that they were resilient and mentally strong. That doesn't need to come from a sweep where we dominated for all 12 periods. Last year was an anomoly. I know the Kings only lost a few games last year en route to their Cup - but that is far from normal.

The Pens will need a short series somewhere along the way no doubt, but I am proud of the way they responded to a very game Isles team despite having to replace their "franchise" goalie.

Playoffs are like heavyweight fights. You don't have to win every round. Sometimes the challenger who is picked as a "tune up" proves to be more than expected. Bully fighters who are favored crumble when they get punched back. This team, all year, fought adversity and showed it could take a punch. Fleury punched them in the face. The Isles rained punches on them right and left. Their cut man was busy in their corner, but when the Final bell rang they found enough to put the Isles down, down on points on all cards last night. They also have several 10-8 rounds in the series though as well - and they never had to get up off the canvas - possubly being staggared in Game 4 but not down.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but disagree with one major point - the Sens d not being able to handle the Pens forwards, being pressured and so on because they are big but not mobile.

The Islanders defense wasn't very good and not all that mobile - the issue was the pens actually getting into the zone and carrying the play from there. I am more worried about the Pens breakout and being able to even start zone cycles. In theory they should find that harder to do with a solid group and a solid goalie.

The issue for the Sens is nobody that wows you in offense, going to have a hard time continuing scoring goals.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 12, 2013 6:34 pm

The issue for the Sens is nobody that wows you in offense, going to have a hard time continuing scoring goals.

Then again, the Pens can be pros at sparking another team's offense with giveaways and, with Fleury in net, bad goals.

Looking back to the 2010 series against Montreal, that was a weak offensive team but they were able to score enough to get past the Pens.

If the Pens continue to sleepwalk through games, mismanage the puck, and take bad penalties they can lose to anyone. If they're on the ball, I don't think they can be beat. That's why I don't buy into the idea that certain teams are or have been bad match-ups. Every team they've faced in the playoffs since the Cup have somehow been bad match-ups.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sniper on Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Henry Hank wrote:

Then again, the Pens can be pros at sparking another team's offense with giveaways and, with Fleury in net, bad goals.

Looking back to the 2010 series against Montreal, that was a weak offensive team but they were able to score enough to get past the Pens.

If the Pens continue to sleepwalk through games, mismanage the puck, and take bad penalties they can lose to anyone. If they're on the ball, I don't think they can be beat. That's why I don't buy into the idea that certain teams are or have been bad match-ups. Every team they've faced in the playoffs since the Cup have somehow been bad match-ups.

The 2010 series was similar to the one they just played in that bad goaltending and stupid mistakes lead to them being scored against and ultimately losing the series, but it was different in that 5 on 5 the Pens controlled the play the majority of the series. They just couldn't score and it seemed like pressing harder to score resulted in them making mistakes which Montreal seemed to always score on.

The Penguins won game one of that series easily by going 4 for 4 on the power play. They then lost game two 3 to 1 despite out shooting Montreal 39 to 21, including 30 to 9 over the last two periods where they were out scored 2 to 0.

The Pens won game 3, 2 to 0. They out shot Montreal 25 to 18. Game 4 they lost 3 to 2. Again out shooting Montreal 35 to 25. 16 of Montreals shots came in the third period when they scored the last two goals to win the game. Pens won game 5, 2 to 1, but Montreal out shot them 33 to 25. Montreal won game 6 despite being out shot again 37 to 25. And Montreal won game 7, 5 to 2 while being out shot 39 to 20.

Looking back at that series, Pittsburgh should have won in 5 games max. Goaltending and pressing for offense leading to mistakes killed them. The Islanders series stupid mistakes just trying to get out of their own zone and goaltending hurt them, but 5 on 5 for most of the games the Islanders were the better team. Pittsburgh deserved to win that Montreal series more than they deserved to win the Islander series.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sun May 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Well that post just brought back some terrible memories...
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun May 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Will we see this dude in this series?

Spoiler:
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sniper on Sun May 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Steve wrote:Will we see this dude in this series?

Spoiler:

hahahaha, I sure hope not!
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sun May 12, 2013 9:46 pm

@MelnykEugene

Some tweets we get from #Pens fans are profanity filled. That's classless - it's just a game. You are embarassing your city, team & players.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Let the forensic investigation began!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DayWalker on Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 am

As long as the Penguins can either trade or euthanize Geno before the series starts, I have the Penguins in three. If that worthless cancer somehow manages to stick around and continues frustrating the scholarly scholars of the game who populate this message board, I think the NHL will announce that the Flyers have taken the place of the Sens and will win four games by forfeiture. Hell, make it all seven possible games by forfeiture, just to stick it to the stat-obsessed Malkin fanboys.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 13, 2013 12:34 am

That's not what (level-headed) people are saying :roll:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DayWalker on Mon May 13, 2013 12:46 am

MRandall25 wrote:That's not what (level-headed) people are saying :roll:

You're right, MRandall25. The level-headed are merely asking that Geno be hit in the face with a shovel.

Because, like, obsession with stats or something.

Do it, RS!
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 am

The Senators are not as fast as the Islanders and cannot score like the Islanders, but they're getting Spezza back; that will make a difference, but not a HUGE difference. This is a team that the Penguins defense matches up better against.

The Senators are also not as good defensively, but they have the 2nd lowest GA in the league for a reason: Craig Anderson. Craig Anderson can steal a series.

The Senators are also far more physical than the Islanders.

If the Penguins who showed up in the 3rd period of Game 6 against Islanders come to play, this series goes 5.

If the same Penguins team who showed up for most of the Islanders series, Penguins in 7.

Personally, I think the Senators look so dangerous because the Habs were absolutely TERRIBLE. They've been screwing the pooch for the last month of the season.

If the Penguins are finally awake, they SHOULD be able to close this out in four, but I think it will be 5.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 am

Ian Mendes: Sportsnet May 12, 2013

"...'You Make My Dreams Come True' had become the 2013 Ottawa Senators victory song."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mend ... tory-tune/
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon May 13, 2013 4:22 am

If Vokoun stays the course and the Pens don't have their heads in their butts, Pens in 5.

littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Mon May 13, 2013 8:11 am

I don't know if I'd count on Spezza playing. He's not even sure if he'll play at all again this year...even if the Sens were to somehow get to the finals.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby k0la on Mon May 13, 2013 8:34 am

Better matchup for Pens. Islanders played great hockey, and they didn't rely on their goalie. You wanna beat Pens it's with offense, speed and hard hitting. Great goaltending matters, but you can't rely on it against a team that can do so many things. PP will be important again as Sens will have their goon moments. Pens in 6
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah, I'm not real worried about the Pens facing a team that leans on defense and goaltending. I didn't think the Isles would pose a problem, but the Sens were the dream matchup for the Pens. After that last series though, its hard to say something like that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 8:52 am

k0la wrote:Better matchup for Pens. Islanders played great hockey, and they didn't rely on their goalie. You wanna beat Pens it's with offense, speed and hard hitting. Great goaltending matters, but you can't rely on it against a team that can do so many things. PP will be important again as Sens will have their goon moments. Pens in 6

I'm sorry I just don't understand this line of thinking with most pens fans on the matchups. Most saying that speed beats the Pens because of the last two playoffs series? Everyone keeps saying that. But this year teams that bottled up the neutral and slowed us down actually gave us the most trouble, either beat us, kept things tight or were winning until we finally broke through with a PP goal or finished off a mistake.

Now that doesn't mean I think the Sens will win. I haven't seen much of them this year but there defense and PP point players can be problematic but they seem to lack scoring up front. I just don't buy the "speed" thing, it's not necessarily the Isles speed that killed us, it was them not letting our offense get going from our own end that did. Sure they turned some turnovers quickly the other way but do we really think the Sens can't do that just as effectively? I mean they have some speed.

To win in my eyes it's more about the Pens coming out of their own zone and getting better breakouts. I know the Isles gave some of our slower dmen fits but I just have a hard time believing the Sens don't have players who can do some of the same things.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby k0la on Mon May 13, 2013 9:11 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
k0la wrote:Better matchup for Pens. Islanders played great hockey, and they didn't rely on their goalie. You wanna beat Pens it's with offense, speed and hard hitting. Great goaltending matters, but you can't rely on it against a team that can do so many things. PP will be important again as Sens will have their goon moments. Pens in 6

I'm sorry I just don't understand this line of thinking with most pens fans on the matchups. Most saying that speed beats the Pens because of the last two playoffs series? Everyone keeps saying that. But this year teams that bottled up the neutral and slowed us down actually gave us the most trouble, either beat us, kept things tight or were winning until we finally broke through with a PP goal or finished off a mistake.

Now that doesn't mean I think the Sens will win. I haven't seen much of them this year but there defense and PP point players can be problematic but they seem to lack scoring up front. I just don't buy the "speed" thing, it's not necessarily the Isles speed that killed us, it was them not letting our offense get going from our own end that did. Sure they turned some turnovers quickly the other way but do we really think the Sens can't do that just as effectively? I mean they have some speed.

To win in my eyes it's more about the Pens coming out of their own zone and getting better breakouts. I know the Isles gave some of our slower dmen fits but I just have a hard time believing the Sens don't have players who can do some of the same things.

It's a good point that controlling the neutral zone and stopping the stretch passes are what stops Pens. Senators can probably do that too, but you only stop the Pens that much was the point, they'll still get goals, so offense needed.

As for the whole speed thing, to me that's what allowed Islanders to get anything out of their defensive system. They annoyed Pens by stopping stretch passes, but they wouldn't have gotten that much out of it if they didn't have that speed to take advantage of those turnovers.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bioshock on Mon May 13, 2013 9:13 am

This is will be a war. I fear for what this series will bring. I think this series will go 7 games and i have no idea who the winner will be. Total coin flip in my eyes.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins