ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 am

Let's concede that the regular season doesn't mean a thing come playoff time. The Pens won all 3 meetings.

But, this team is significantly stronger (personnel) since those meetings. Pens in 6; 5 if they get all cylinders firing.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 9:57 am

k0la wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
k0la wrote:Better matchup for Pens. Islanders played great hockey, and they didn't rely on their goalie. You wanna beat Pens it's with offense, speed and hard hitting. Great goaltending matters, but you can't rely on it against a team that can do so many things. PP will be important again as Sens will have their goon moments. Pens in 6

I'm sorry I just don't understand this line of thinking with most pens fans on the matchups. Most saying that speed beats the Pens because of the last two playoffs series? Everyone keeps saying that. But this year teams that bottled up the neutral and slowed us down actually gave us the most trouble, either beat us, kept things tight or were winning until we finally broke through with a PP goal or finished off a mistake.

Now that doesn't mean I think the Sens will win. I haven't seen much of them this year but there defense and PP point players can be problematic but they seem to lack scoring up front. I just don't buy the "speed" thing, it's not necessarily the Isles speed that killed us, it was them not letting our offense get going from our own end that did. Sure they turned some turnovers quickly the other way but do we really think the Sens can't do that just as effectively? I mean they have some speed.

To win in my eyes it's more about the Pens coming out of their own zone and getting better breakouts. I know the Isles gave some of our slower dmen fits but I just have a hard time believing the Sens don't have players who can do some of the same things.

It's a good point that controlling the neutral zone and stopping the stretch passes are what stops Pens. Senators can probably do that too, but you only stop the Pens that much was the point, they'll still get goals, so offense needed.

As for the whole speed thing, to me that's what allowed Islanders to get anything out of their defensive system. They annoyed Pens by stopping stretch passes, but they wouldn't have gotten that much out of it if they didn't have that speed to take advantage of those turnovers.

Agreed I just think the Sens are going to much better in the neutral zone and on defense/goal.

The Isles to me were better once across out blue line because they pens defense is kind of slow. That's where the Sens should lose the series.

But I think they will be better clogging things up and preventing chances.

How that translates on the scoreboard we will know next week.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 am

Apparently Spezza may return for Game 1

http://senators.nhl.com/club/blogpost.h ... L|OTT|home
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MrBrightside on Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 am

headh wrote:Apparently Spezza may return for Game 1

I don't know when he's going to return, but nothing in that article suggests he's ready to play tomorrow.
MrBrightside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Mon May 13, 2013 10:31 am

MrBrightside wrote:
headh wrote:Apparently Spezza may return for Game 1

I don't know when he's going to return, but nothing in that article suggests he's ready to play tomorrow.

pure speculation but it certainly says that he could in theory return in game one in the paragraph below. I don't know when he's coming back either

"Given that today's practice was Spezza's first truly challenging skate of his recovery, how his body responds over the next 24 hours will be a good indicator of where he stands with respect to his timetable. A particularly positive response could, in theory, lead to a trip with the team to Pittsburgh and perhaps an appearance in game one or two. Still, those decisions have yet to be made."
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:33 am

DayWalker wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:That's not what (level-headed) people are saying :roll:

You're right, MRandall25. The level-headed are merely asking that Geno be hit in the face with a shovel.

Because, like, obsession with stats or something.

Do it, RS!

wow....just....wow
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Mon May 13, 2013 10:33 am

Even though the Islanders carried play for what seemed the majority of the series, and did a good job of keeping the Pens hemmed in their zone at many times, at best they kept PGH from exploding on them. PGH scored over 4 goals per game on average, while it took a monumental effort by NYI to disrupt them.

It was essentially a perfectly executed game plan for a little over half of the 18+ periods of play from a speedy, hungry team. Additionally, leaky goaltending and lackadaisical team defense made it a much more interesting series than it ought to have been. In order for Ottawa to win the series, they're going to have to have the same elements in play, only better, obviously.

Out the gate, they're down vs. NYI when it comes to speed. It's probably safe to say they're a hungry team. Can they perfectly execute a similar game plan in 4 of 7 games? I don't know. Will PGH gave them leaky goaltending and middling team defense? I don't know.

It take a perfect series for any team other than Chicago to out the Pens. And I'm not saying that won't happen. It may.

It comes down to what Delpen said - if PGH plays the way they did in games 1, 5, and during parts of others, NO ONE is going to beat them.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 am

Guinness wrote:It comes down to what Delpen said - if PGH plays the way they did in games 1, 5, and during parts of others, NO ONE is going to beat them.

They don't even need to play that well, just play the game they played in March and things will be fine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve Dave on Mon May 13, 2013 10:46 am

Eugene says Pens fans are classless...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2 ... aple-leafs
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 10:50 am

Steve Dave wrote:Eugene says Pens fans are classless...

1. Lol
Melnyk wrote:it's just a game. You are embarassing your city, team & players.

2. Image
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guinness on Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 am

Yeah Melnyk calling anyone else classless is lolfunny.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 am

Steve Dave wrote:Eugene says Pens fans are classless...

Hey, he knows a thing or two about embarrassing a city, team and players.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 am

Pens fans that swear at reporters and other teams on Twitter are absolutely classless. But so are team executives that impute the qualities of a select group of anonymous fans' social media presence onto an entire fanbase.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

DelPen wrote:
Guinness wrote:It comes down to what Delpen said - if PGH plays the way they did in games 1, 5, and during parts of others, NO ONE is going to beat them.

They don't even need to play that well, just play the game they played in March and things will be fine.

Yep.

Thinking about it a little more, it blows my mind that for as well as NYI played PGH still potted over 4 goals a game on average. I get that Nabokov was pretty terrible, but then again, the talent on PGH can make a guy look pretty bad, too.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 am

TheHammer24 wrote:Pens fans that swear at reporters and other teams on Twitter are absolutely classless. But so are team executives that impute the qualities of a select group of anonymous fans' social media presence onto an entire fanbase.

Fixed.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jwest21 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:56 am

TheHammer24 wrote:Pens fans that swear at reporters and other teams on Twitter are absolutely classless. But so are team executives that impute the qualities of a select group of anonymous fans' social media presence onto an entire fanbase.

too many big words.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Mon May 13, 2013 11:02 am

The Islanders had the worst GAA of any playoff team so it shouldn't be a surprise that the Pens scored on them. People want to make excuses and say the Isles were a mismatch for the Pens, it really was the other way around. During the regular season, the Isles gave up a lot of goals, were crappy five on five, and were crappy on the PK. That was a perfect set up for the Pens to win games simply by being able to outscore them.

Ottawa, on the other hand, had the second best GAA in the league. They are going to make it a lot tougher on the Pens to score. I don't think it'll be as easy for the Pens to overcome their own mistakes this round. They have to manage the puck better and stop taking dumb penalties or this time they're not going to miraculously win games when they're getting totally outclassed. Ottawa isn't giving up four goals a game.
Last edited by Henry Hank on Mon May 13, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon May 13, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Spezza:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423013

"It's been a long process and a long season for me," Spezza said. "It felt good to join the team again and get some reps in. It may not seem like it and I may not play this year, but for me it's a small victory."

It's unclear whether Spezza will travel to Pittsburgh, but Senators coach Paul MacLean doesn't seem to have much hope he will play in the first two games of the series.

"He's a long ways away," said MacLean after practice.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Mon May 13, 2013 11:04 am

Most fans on twitter are teenagers. I don't really expect them to act mature or with class.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 am

DelPen wrote:

They just have to get to their game. :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby GDR on Mon May 13, 2013 11:09 am

the Penguins are practicing today after having yesterday off
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon May 13, 2013 11:14 am

Guinness wrote:

Fixed.

Lol. By definition mine is correct, then. :thumb:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 am

Sens in 6
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 am

Guinness wrote:Even though the Islanders carried play for what seemed the majority of the series, and did a good job of keeping the Pens hemmed in their zone at many times, at best they kept PGH from exploding on them. PGH scored over 4 goals per game on average, while it took a monumental effort by NYI to disrupt them.

It was essentially a perfectly executed game plan for a little over half of the 18+ periods of play from a speedy, hungry team. Additionally, leaky goaltending and lackadaisical team defense made it a much more interesting series than it ought to have been. In order for Ottawa to win the series, they're going to have to have the same elements in play, only better, obviously.

Out the gate, they're down vs. NYI when it comes to speed. It's probably safe to say they're a hungry team. Can they perfectly execute a similar game plan in 4 of 7 games? I don't know. Will PGH gave them leaky goaltending and middling team defense? I don't know.

It take a perfect series for any team other than Chicago to out the Pens. And I'm not saying that won't happen. It may.

It comes down to what Delpen said - if PGH plays the way they did in games 1, 5, and during parts of others, NO ONE is going to beat them.

Kind of disagree, they did well but their goalie had just as much to do with the goals against as anything, the Pens got bottled up pretty good in the series. I'm not doom and gloom saying the Sens are going to win I just don't buy that the Isles were a bad matchup at all or it will take a perfect series to beat us. They have a star center, winger and some speed, other than that they are inferior to most playoff teams through the lineup. Most teams in round 2 are going to have good depth/role players.
Last edited by BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins