'13 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 12, 2013 10:17 am

The big question I have is, are the Isles the only team that has the speed to counter the Pens system the way they did? It's one thing to say you have the Pens system figured out and know how to counter it, it's another thing to have the personel to be able to counter effectively. The Isles did a good job of making the series closer than it should have been, and the Pens played poorly enough at time to make things more difficult for themselves.

I sense the Pens will be more on their game/system against the Senators, and the Senators will not be able to counter as well. But that's just my opinion.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Sun May 12, 2013 10:21 am

FLPensFan wrote:The big question I have is, are the Isles the only team that has the speed to counter the Pens system the way they did? It's one thing to say you have the Pens system figured out and know how to counter it, it's another thing to have the personel to be able to counter effectively. The Isles did a good job of making the series closer than it should have been, and the Pens played poorly enough at time to make things more difficult for themselves.

I sense the Pens will be more on their game/system against the Senators, and the Senators will not be able to counter as well. But that's just my opinion.

The pens are better matched going forward. We should see a more dominate game. CAN STOP MAKING STUPID PASSES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 am

The Isles had their chances to put away the Pens and couldn't do it. So what finally happened to them is what has happened to the Pens in so many series - you get to a spot where a (un)lucky bounce ends your run.

The Pens looked horrible in the first two periods were just slightly better than the Islanders in the 3rd. I was shocked they got the game tied at the end of the second.

I hope, hope, hope the lessons were learned. You can't win the next series playing like this.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DMcGrew on Sun May 12, 2013 10:34 am

Its going to be interesting in this Ottawa series to see if the Pens were really that bad or the Islanders were that good.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun May 12, 2013 10:38 am

1. Phew.
2. Orpik launching the series winning goal after being the one that launched the shot that injured Crosby was pure Karma.
3. Malkin did a nice job of blocking that shot late in the game. Without that...TROUBLE in the City of Bridges.
4. Pundits kept saying that the Isles outplayed the Pens. But then again, the Isles didn't even show up for two of the games. And how many games did the Pens win the series by? Uh, two.
5. Sometimes I think the Pens have "too many chiefs and not enough indians", then TK and Vatale come in. Those two could have been at the Little Big Horn dressed as indians.
6. Duper has been super. 'nuff said.
7. Vokoun had a save percentage of .957 in his two games/wins. Nabakov's was, I believe, of .867 for the series. Therein lies the difference. I've liked Vokoun ever since I saw him play for the Panthers, where he saw more rubber than a 4-lane blacktop.
8. Enjoy the links Isles...But unless I'm terribly wrong, your time will come.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 am

Game 7 would have been at the same time today as my wedding, so thank god for Brooks! :D
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am

Henry Hank wrote:I think there might be more to it if they didn't look so good in game five. Then they decided to sleep walk through a game six that they were supposedly treating like their game seven. It's not like they dumped a bunch of new players onto the team at once. They swapped Neal for Crosby between games one and two and then brought Neal back for game four. That shouldn't cause an entire team to get outworked.

I wouldn't use game 5 as a benchmark for good playoff hockey. The pens were pretty much dominated in that first period, and the softie 2nd penguins goal really took a lot of fight out of the islanders. The islanders abused the Pens defense especially the ones who have limited mobility, Murray and Eaton. The islanders forecheck and hitting of the Pens defense caused many turnovers, to the point that it appeared the Pens D were more worried about getting hit, rather than making the correct play. I think the Pens problems are much deeper than whether they are giving 100% effort or not. Too many people think that a team with Crosby and Malkin should be a lock to win almost any series. In reality it takes goaltending and a total team commitment to defense to advance, and despite TV efforts in the last two games, these are the areas that will be undoing of this team long anything else.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Odd Man Rush on Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am

I was as disappointed in the Pens performance last night as anyone. Also, I fully recognize that we were extremely lucky to win that game - the Islanders absolutely deserved it. However, refusing to cheer after Orpik's series winning goal in overtime, I'm sorry but that's just plain cuckoo bananas and completely misses the big picture.

It is this attitude why a lot of other fans hate Penguins fans. Too many of our fans seem to have this sense of entitlement where they act like we somehow deserve the Cup - based on our talent. Alas, it doesn't work that way - even for the most talented of teams.

I have never celebrated after a closer than expected loss to a heavily favored opponent and I will never stew after a closer than expected win over an underdog.

Survive and advance - that is what this is all about. Are there troubling signs with this team? Of course there are. Were there a myriad of questionable decisions and poor performances by a number of Penguins? Absolutely. Does that free us up to act like a six year-old girl who just dropped her ice cream cone? I'm sorry but no, it does not.
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Sun May 12, 2013 10:44 am

Fast B wrote:Game 7 would have been at the same time today as my wedding, so thank god for Brooks! :D

Congrats on your wedding day!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby abwvu1 on Sun May 12, 2013 10:45 am

Pens will face better goaltending and more gritty players.

As long as the Pens withstand the Sens agitation they should be able to cruise to ECF.
abwvu1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun May 12, 2013 10:47 am

1. Clean slate. The Pens move on in 6 games, with a hot goaltender, and a full compliment of players (not to mention a few very good players who are riding the bench). Can't ask for more when the team turns in 4 sloppy performances out of 6 games.

2. The bounces, which had gone mostly the Islanders' way the whole series, went the Pens way last night.

3. Kris Letang is a physically gifted athlete who happens to be a very unintelligent hockey player. Despite his moments of brilliance, he is not a good defenseman, below average on the power play, and makes terrible decisions with the puck. By far one of the most exciting and most frustrating players I've watched.

4. It was good to see Bylsma make adjustments and stick to them. But he can't be happy with the effort from many of his players.

5. Where in the world is Brenden Morrow? I thought the Pens acquired him at the deadline.

6. It's open for debate as to whether Vokoun has been the better overall goaltender since after the 2009 season. He's played on crap teams his whole career, and this is really his first legit chance to shine. I hope Bylsma extends that chance to game one of round 2. The Pens don't need to go back to Spaz and be down a game at home to the Sens.

7. The PK, which was suspect all regular season, won this series for the Pens hands down.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Sun May 12, 2013 10:48 am

shmenguin wrote:
Penspal wrote:While there seems to be an early consensus on the Pens effort/switch/play, what about kudos to the Isles? The loss of MacDonald really hurt their "D". Isles did not have the depth or experience (or good goaltending). Okposo had a couple of monster games, and Tavares now gives Sid real competition for the mantle of best player.

The Islanders love is a little overblown. Capuano should get more credit than any of their players. Hamonic and McDonald weren't lights out in their own end. Whenever we actually got some zone presence, we seemed to have our way with their shotty defense. We just couldn't break their checking in he other end of the rink enough. And Okposo didn't have some breakout series. 3 goals - one was a crappy shot that missed the net by 3 feet, one was a pass, and the other was one of the worst breakaway shots you'll see but fleury blew it. And Tavares has established himself as a top player, but just like everyone else, he's a full notch below Sid.

More than a notch. This is like in The Dark Knight when all those fake Batman-costume wearing vigilantes were everywhere... still only one Batman.

Totally agree that we dominated most of this series, but we should dominate them. I really think you need to go back and look at the wins, instead of just what went wrong. We won 5-0 in 90 dominant minutes, 5-4 in a game that the Isles showed some serious grit, 4-0 against a team that came out red hot and we turned them away hard, and 4-3 in OT against a caged animal that left every ounce they had on the ice.

As for player performance for them, scoring doesn't tell the whole story. Okposo lifted them in games 2 & 3. Brian Strait made some plays I didn't think he was capable of. I had no idea who Casey Cizikas was before this series, but for sure i won't forget him now. So many contributors... If you didn't see a different Okposo/Strait/Cizikas in this series, it was over in a heartbeat. Those guys stood out in all 6 games... well, the 4 games NYI actually scored in. Tavares and Streit... great guys to keep building around. They were awesome all series long. There were some guys we held in check for 6 games; Moulson, Boyes, Neilsen... these guys did not have a great series.

Transition defense & goaltending, not JUST goaltending, was the cause of most of the heartache in this series. Too many pucks to the net on the rush, not enough 50/50 or better pucks won behind the net, too many turnovers and too many player wide open around the net. Story of all our losses this year.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby topshelf on Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 am

shmenguin wrote:
topshelf wrote:Maybe this is a lame excuse, but Game 4 was the first time the "new" Pens played intact as a complete team. Maybe there are some adjustment issues to the new line mates?

It doesn't explain everything and is a weak excuse, but I think there's some legitimacy there. This team hasn't had time to figure each other out yet.

Right. I agree with this. It's not an excuse for the laziness, but I think it played a part in the miscues and whatnot.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 10:58 am

Pitt87 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
Penspal wrote:While there seems to be an early consensus on the Pens effort/switch/play, what about kudos to the Isles? The loss of MacDonald really hurt their "D". Isles did not have the depth or experience (or good goaltending). Okposo had a couple of monster games, and Tavares now gives Sid real competition for the mantle of best player.

The Islanders love is a little overblown. Capuano should get more credit than any of their players. Hamonic and McDonald weren't lights out in their own end. Whenever we actually got some zone presence, we seemed to have our way with their shotty defense. We just couldn't break their checking in he other end of the rink enough. And Okposo didn't have some breakout series. 3 goals - one was a crappy shot that missed the net by 3 feet, one was a pass, and the other was one of the worst breakaway shots you'll see but fleury blew it. And Tavares has established himself as a top player, but just like everyone else, he's a full notch below Sid.

More than a notch. This is like in The Dark Knight when all those fake Batman-costume wearing vigilantes were everywhere... still only one Batman.

Totally agree that we dominated most of this series, but we should dominate them. I really think you need to go back and look at the wins, instead of just what went wrong. We won 5-0 in 90 dominant minutes, 5-4 in a game that the Isles showed some serious grit, 4-0 against a team that came out red hot and we turned them away hard, and 4-3 in OT against a caged animal that left every ounce they had on the ice.

As for player performance for them, scoring doesn't tell the whole story. Okposo lifted them in games 2 & 3. Brian Strait made some plays I didn't think he was capable of. I had no idea who Casey Cizikas was before this series, but for sure i won't forget him now. So many contributors... If you didn't see a different Okposo/Strait/Cizikas in this series, it was over in a heartbeat. Those guys stood out in all 6 games... well, the 4 games NYI actually scored in. Tavares and Streit... great guys to keep building around. They were awesome all series long. There were some guys we held in check for 6 games; Moulson, Boyes, Neilsen... these guys did not have a great series.

Transition defense & goaltending, not JUST goaltending, was the cause of most of the heartache in this series. Too many pucks to the net on the rush, not enough 50/50 or better pucks won behind the net, too many turnovers and too many player wide open around the net. Story of all our losses this year.

Whoa whoa whoa. We didn't dominate most of the series. We outplayed them for only like 5 out of 18 periods.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tnt118 on Sun May 12, 2013 11:00 am

Odd Man Rush wrote:However, refusing to cheer after Orpik's series winning goal in overtime, I'm sorry but that's just plain cuckoo bananas and completely misses the big picture.

I don't think that was a soapbox comment of "I'm making a conscious decision not to cheer because the Pens don't deserve it". There was so much frustration with the Pens in this series, a supposedly dominant team that was barely winning (at times moreso than their play deserved); along with the ghosts of the past couple years (not to mention 1993) -- a simple sigh ("thank god THAT'S over") is a perfectly reasonable reaction.
tnt118

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am

thepittman wrote:Image

:lol: :thumb:
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun May 12, 2013 11:04 am

The pens rarely played with urgency this series. It was there in games 1 and 4, and it was evident halfway through the third and ot. Pens need to play that way consistently. They were able to turn it on in spurts, but the pens knew they were able to win without giving a full effort.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun May 12, 2013 11:15 am

JoseCuervo wrote:The pens rarely played with urgency this series. It was there in games 1 and 4, and it was evident halfway through the third and ot. Pens need to play that way consistently. They were able to turn it on in spurts, but the pens knew they were able to win without giving a full effort.

I truly hope not. Because if they really believe they can turn it on and off like a spigot, they will get bounced. That's exactly what happened to the 1993 team.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 am

RxBandit66 wrote:5. Where in the world is Brenden Morrow? I thought the Pens acquired him at the deadline.

He's playing with a center with who can't handle the puck, and a RW who should be playing on the LW.

Other than having an ineffective line, I thought Morrow was one of the few Pens to show up and give a push back physically. I'd think about benching Sutter for Jokinen against the Sens, as I feel like having the offensive depth will be important.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun May 12, 2013 11:30 am

Fast B wrote:Game 7 would have been at the same time today as my wedding, so thank god for Brooks! :D

My wife's 2nd cousin's wedding was on 06/12/09. Guess who wasn't in attendance at that wedding. To this day they don't know the real reason why I wasn't there that night. Priorities, priorities. :wink:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 am

1. The PK is being praised for winning this series for us. Sure the numbers look great, and I guess it got the job done, but by no means am I impressed or happy with how it performed. Truthfully, the Isles should have had a couple last night for sure. Our PK was successful in killing off the penalties, but man did the Isles work the puck and create some unreal chances. We never seemed to thwart any of their setups, nor intercept passes, and lost a lot of races and battles for the puck. I doubt we can continue to be that lucky going forward. I just don't have the confidence in the PK like I had last season. We rarely create SH chances anymore, whereas it seemed we used to get at least one SH odd man rush a game last year, maybe even more. I hope to see a more stable unit going forward.

2. We found a way to win and good teams will do that. Even though Bylsma's coaching was doing nothing for them, they found a way to overcome a system that did them no favors and won the series. This can only build confidence going forward, knowing they didn't play well and still won.

3. Vokoun - ..and that's why he's here. Calm, poised, steady, and a big part of why we were able to steal this series.

4. Our blueline - Yikes. What happened? Honestly, could some of these guys look any worse? Douglas Murray definitely wasn't as effective as he was during the regular season, but with the Isles speed you have to expect that. However, Martin, Letang, and Niskanen have no excuse. Martin was made to look like a pylon about 3-4 times in just the last two games. Okposo, Tavares, and Bailey all made him look ridiculously bad. His refusal to play the body is embarrassing. An Isles player would be looking for the puck in his skates and Martin stands there whacking at the puck instead of knocking him down or at least separating him from the puck. He's also shying away from taking a hit to make a play when being forechecked hard. Letang is Letang, I've come to expect the boneheaded plays after all these years. He can look so good, then a minute later he looks like he has zero clue. For some reason I just get the idea that Letang isn't very smart, not just hockey-wise, but overall. Niskanen was also atrocious this series. The turnovers, the slow puck movement, the inability to clear the puck, it was all just bad. We need these 3 to play at a higher level if we're going to challenge for Lord Stanley.

5. The PP - It can look great, it can look horrible. Even if it looked horrible this series, Nabokov helped make it look great. Anderson won't do the same. Gotta cash in when we can.

6. Geno - Huge plays down the stretch to bring this team to victory. His defensive effort when compared to game 5 was less than stellar, but he's the reason we ended it in game 6. His consistency has to improve, let's see that defensive effort every game, let's see that dangerous offensive play for 60 minutes. He could be one of the most talented players in the NHL but his consistency and effort hold him back. Sid probably isn't the most talented player in the league, but his effort and consistency overcome that and that makes him the best player in the league.

7. Bylsma - His insistence to go back to the stretch pass non stop this game was asinine. After cutting WAY back on the stretch pass and having success in game 5, he completely abandons that strategy and goes back to what wasn't working. Because of this the Isles dominated play again. It was painfully obvious last night that every time we brought a forward down low and skated the puck up, we gained the zone. Either by the dman gaining the redline, or making a short pass to the forward that came down low. Go back and watch the amount of times we turned the puck over using the stretch pass....our D would have the puck, standing STILL, and not a forward in sight, they're all at the far blueline or at best at the redline, while our D are standing at the faceoff circles in our zone. TSN announcers were even in disbelief.

8. Grinders - TK, Vitale, Cooke, etc. Thank God we have them. I've said from the start of the year that Vitale should be playing full time. If these last two games don't cement him into a full time role, then Bylsma is a cement head himself. Great job by these guys! Dupuis deserves a ton of props too, this guy just brings it every night, he even scores with Vitale as his center. He deserves his pay day and I hope we can give it to him.

Hopefully guys like Kunitz and Neal can find their way this series. We just didn't seem to find any soft spots to get these guys any shots. I think Iggy will start to become more effective playing with Sid. I love our lines right now, we just need to figure out our defensive zone play and breakout. This is on the coach and on our D playing better too.

I have a lot more confidence going in against the Sens. They just don't have that puck swarming speed and ability like the Isles have. However, they have an unreal goaltender, and we've seen those before in Halak and Rollason. I still think that Montreal's lack of top end talent made Anderson look better than he actually was. He's a great goaltender, but we have the talent to beat him and we will.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Sun May 12, 2013 11:44 am

- The Pens played poorly and still beat the hottest team in the league. That tells you something about this team.
- Letang is Letang – an amazing athlete who makes stupid plays more than you’d like him to. Can any coach really risk benching a guy like that to get a message through to him? I don’t think so.
- Geno played smarter as the series progressed. Letang should take notes.
- Cooke, Duper and TK were monsters every game they played.
- Sutter often looked mediocre – maybe Jokinen will take his spot in Game 1?
- The defense played poorly in front of both Fleury and Vokoun, yet Vokoun managed to win his games. I don’t see why anyone is even questioning whether Vokoun should be starting against the Senators.
- Every series has different heroes. Some of the guys whose slowness didn’t help us this series, like Morrow and Murray, can still play big roles as the team goes forward.
- Sid now has five games under his belt after a month off. He's only going to get better.

And in case you missed it from the GDT:

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Sun May 12, 2013 11:48 am

pcm wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:5. Where in the world is Brenden Morrow? I thought the Pens acquired him at the deadline.

He's playing with a center with who can't handle the puck, and a RW who should be playing on the LW.

Other than having an ineffective line, I thought Morrow was one of the few Pens to show up and give a push back physically. I'd think about benching Sutter for Jokinen against the Sens, as I feel like having the offensive depth will be important.

Morrow is the least of the Pens' problems.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Morrow has no center. Neither does Cooke, coincidentally. It's tough to play 2 on 3 in the offensive zone.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sun May 12, 2013 12:11 pm

shmenguin wrote:

I don't think anyone's throwing 'love' the Isles way, but how about a little more respect than we had before this series started. They played hard and fast for all 6 games (people forget that Fleury's 1st period in game 1 allowed that blowout to occur), and were playing their system to a T. Capuano (total prick) identified not just a weakness in the Pens breakout, but then figured out a way to use his only advantage (team speed) to exploit it. His players responded by playing that system game in and game out. The Isles were a well-oiled machine this series...the Pens were constantly searching for some WD-40. If and when they find some, this Pens team has a chance to be truly scary. If they don't...prepare to hold on to your butts.

This elitist attitude that a lot of Pens fans have is just funny to see. The Isles were an 8 seed that's basically been playing playoff hockey for a month. The Pens came in playing good hockey, but they hadn't needed to win in about a month. They also came in with questions about the lineup, and have a bunch of guys playing together for the first time in either a while...or ever.

On game 6...great win. Great resolve. We finally had a game where the bounces went our way, and we took advantage of them.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins