'13 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 pm

It's not really an elitist attitude when you think your team sucked out loud for most of he series.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 pm

I don't have my head in the sand, but I'm done hyperanalyzing it. We won. End of story. I absolutely respect the show the Isles put on, but I see no need to self-flagellate and lament about how the Isles "deserved" it and the Pens didn't. Because "deserving" isn't applicable here. It's still a team game. The Isles' strengths kept them competitive, but their deficiencies cost them the series. The Pens' deficiencies threatened their own competitiveness, but their strengths won them the series.

When I hear "but the Isles deserved it!" I get pretty annoyed. I think of a kid who studies for 20 hours for a test and never misses class but still just doesn't get it yet and gets a C+ vs. a kid who has a photographic memory or something and can get by with studying for 2 hours and gets all As. In a results-based context, the kid who got the As, if he got them ethically, shouldn't be ashamed of a damn thing, imo. Ideally, should the little-effort A kid be concerned with learning and actually absorbing knowledge and cultivating expertise over just the numbers? Well, yeah. But learning is a process fueled in part by maturity and introspection.

The Pens got the result, which is essentially what matters today, and they're still in the learning process of the 2013 playoffs. The Sens are a different team, and the match up with the Pens is going to be different. I'm looking forward. The Isles are done.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NashvilleCat on Sun May 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:They did not deserve to win this game or the series for that matter.

The Isles you mean? I agree. If you so thoroughly dominate a team 5 on 5 and stll lose in 6, you just aren't good enough, period.

This series shows how much talent this team really has. They were at times dreadful in this series yet found a way to close out a young, talented, hungry team that finished the season 11-2-4. They went 2-0-1 against the Caps and hung losses on the Rangers, Senators, Bruins, and Maple Leafs. Remember the Caps were supposed to be the hottest team in hockey at the end of the season.

Do they need to tighten it up? Certainly, but the march to the Cup is seldom smooth. Bylsma seems to have made some adjustments now let's see if the players get a little fire back.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby malkinshair on Sun May 12, 2013 12:49 pm

shmenguin wrote:It's not really an elitist attitude when you think your team sucked out loud for most of he series.

Fair enough...but I've been seeing and hearing a lot of 'We didn't win convincingly enough, so this team stinks' around here (and in real life :D ). The playoffs are hard...and a series will most times come down to matchups. If one team can exploit a weakness in the other, then seeding doesn't matter. It seems that some people have either forgotten that, or haven't learned it yet.

We have more talent than the Isles, no doubt, but they played better as a team overall.

When you come out of a series win upset because it was 'too close', that, to me, is an elitist response.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Fast B wrote:Game 7 would have been at the same time today as my wedding, so thank god for Brooks! :D

What?! Wishing you and your beloved many happy years filled with love and Stanley Cups. :D
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Sun May 12, 2013 1:01 pm

PghSkins wrote:Also, I swear some of you have been beaten into some kind of self loathing mindset by the Pens hating media and opposing teams. Didn't cheer the series winning OT goal? You kidding?

:thumb:
Where does this I'm bigger than being just a fan attitude comes from? Many, many believe they can either step behind the bench, or on the ice, and do better. AmaZing.

Some teams have the hammer over you; it is was the isles for the penguins. Savior the goal Brooks!

Hopefully tomorrow they put quality time into practice. Especially for the blueline breakout.
I can't tell if any one is injured. Maybe Mark Eaton returns to the line up; give Niskanen time to learn from the box.

Winning this series removes shackles of past failure, I expect better play , better habits round 2.

Congrats GM Ray Shero, moving on !
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun May 12, 2013 1:06 pm

I watched the replay about 25 times, danced like an idiot, and gave sloppy virtual kisses to half the board after Brooks' goal. And I'd do it again.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Penspal wrote:- I stand by my early points, Nabakov was worse that Vokoun/Fleury and that was key

Agreed. Fleury was bad, but Nabokov was the worst goalie in the playoffs. If the Isles had a goalie even play to Fleury's level, the Pens would've fallen behind 3-1 in the series.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sun May 12, 2013 1:24 pm

If Sutter isn't playing hurt then he kind of sucks. In either case Jokinen could be a better option
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun May 12, 2013 1:29 pm

We won because of 1) goaltending and 2) special teams. We got outplayed at times, dominated at others, and still won in 6 games. I see no reason to be shamed for winning a series. We must be better, and I expect it. Vokoun is 2 for 2 with a great SV%. Our powerplay is scary. Our PK has been great. There is no Tavares on the Senators. Let's stop hanging our heads and be proud of this team for persevering despite having the weight of the hockey world on their shoulders expecting and hoping for them to fail.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun May 12, 2013 1:36 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:We won because of 1) goaltending and 2) special teams. We got outplayed at times, dominated at others, and still won in 6 games. I see no reason to be shamed for winning a series. We must be better, and I expect it. Vokoun is 2 for 2 with a great SV%. Our powerplay is scary. Our PK has been great. There is no Tavares on the Senators. Let's stop hanging our heads and be proud of this team for persevering despite having the weight of the hockey world on their shoulders expecting and hoping for them to fail.

I've never seen a fanbase so demoralized after winning a series. Did everyone expect 16-0? The playoffs are about beating 4 seperate teams, 4 times. The Isles were a crappy match-up for us and we still got through it. On the other hand, the Sens, Bruins, Leafs, Rags, and Craps are all very good match-ups for the Pens. Watch this be the toughest series untik the Stanley Cup Finals.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm

I was extremely happy when the goal went in and that we won the series. It felt good to win after how bad we looked and just shows that Shero made the right moves to bring in enough to overcome weaker teams.

Today, I'm not worrying about the team at all and look forward to watching some hockey.

Tomorrow, I am desperately hoping DB figures **** out. He and MAF were our biggest obstacles in round 1. You can take one of those out of the equation. If you go back and look at the goals scored in round 1, very few of them were scored because of our system. Most of them were scored simply because we had better players on the ice that made a shaky Nabokov play above his head. Time to start watching tape and game planning instead of just doing what we always do and hoping they don't figure it out.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun May 12, 2013 1:45 pm

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2-h7 ... ikkick.gif

Dear Brooks, you have time to work on that goal celebration move. :P 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun May 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:We won because of 1) goaltending and 2) special teams. We got outplayed at times, dominated at others, and still won in 6 games. I see no reason to be shamed for winning a series. We must be better, and I expect it. Vokoun is 2 for 2 with a great SV%. Our powerplay is scary. Our PK has been great. There is no Tavares on the Senators. Let's stop hanging our heads and be proud of this team for persevering despite having the weight of the hockey world on their shoulders expecting and hoping for them to fail.

I've never seen a fanbase so demoralized after winning a series. Did everyone expect 16-0? The playoffs are about beating 4 seperate teams, 4 times. The Isles were a crappy match-up for us and we still got through it. On the other hand, the Sens, Bruins, Leafs, Rags, and Craps are all very good match-ups for the Pens. Watch this be the toughest series untik the Stanley Cup Finals.

I'm curious why everyone thinks we had a bad matchup and why others are good matchups? We dealt with the Islanders pretty easily in the regular season. They were fast then too. Didn't seem to affect us.

Playing the #1 seed should be a bad matchup for anyone on the other side of the puck. Rationalizing crappy play is silly. Just look at the series and be honest with yourself. The Pens didn't play like a #1 seed. They got beat to pucks, got physically outplayed, and they had their system and shaky goal tending exposed. They still won, which is a good thing, but let's not pretend that playing the 8 seed was somehow a bad matchup.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tnt118 on Sun May 12, 2013 1:51 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:I've never seen a fanbase so demoralized after winning a series. Did everyone expect 16-0? The playoffs are about beating 4 seperate teams, 4 times. The Isles were a crappy match-up for us and we still got through it. On the other hand, the Sens, Bruins, Leafs, Rags, and Craps are all very good match-ups for the Pens. Watch this be the toughest series untik the Stanley Cup Finals.

But isn't it fair to say the expectations are higher for the Pens? A team so loaded with talent? We expect better play than what we got so far. That isn't to say they would go 16-0, but this series was dangerously close to ending our season. 2 overtime games, one with a contested penalty and the other took some pretty impressive goaltending just to reach overtime -- it's not too far a stretch that we could be out of the playoffs right now. I don't mind losing a game or having a rough series, but this was perilously close to a full implosion.
tnt118

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:

I think the biggest issue here was that the team that played in the playoffs was a shadow of their former selves that were essentially playing just over a week ago.

A team with this much talent and success should never look as lost as they did, night after night. It was pathetic. We've come to expect more, and rightfully so after seeing the way they CAN play.

Again, I put most of the blame on Fleury and Byslma. With a headcase in net and a coach that puts you into an uphill battle all game, things won't be easy. It would be different if we followed game 5 with another strong performance in game 6, but Bylsma went right back into the old system again that leaves this team struggling. Ignorance at it's finest. Hopefully Byslma's system works better against Ottawa, because we know he's not going to stick with any adjustments that work.

That's why it's frustrating.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 12, 2013 2:12 pm

penmyst wrote:6. How does Malkin lead the Pens in points? God, he has been garbage out there. I don't know how he's doing it. I barely remember any good plays from him all series, and can remember 10 or 15 turnovers, bad passes, and slack back-checking last night alone. /shakes head.

lol :fist:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 12, 2013 2:13 pm

It's not elitist to expect a #1 seed to outplay a #8 seed. It's disturbing how much of that series was carried by the Islanders. Don't want to hear about bad match-up, the Islanders going into the playoffs hot, the Pens not having time to mesh. It's messed up that the Pens appeared disinterested even in the third period of a tied elimination game. There just seems to be something wrong with this bunch. We should all be glad they won but warning signs are present that this playoff run isn't going to go much further. Fans should be able to expect more out of a #1 seed.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joe icepick on Sun May 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Sutter isn't much of a player to me. Gets knocked off the puck easily and sucks on faceoffs. Not a very good passer and seems to get tired quickly. One thing good he'll never get a raise or cost to much. Malkin and Letang are very frustrating to me. Alot of talent but not very smart players. Letang is not a pp quarterback, so i can't fathom paying him 8 mill. Martin is gone after this year if i was GM. Not worth 5 mill. Iginla and Morrow would have to be signed pretty cheap to be back next year. Niskanen is just a average player. MAF would have lost that game last night if he was in net. I will say it again, how can a number one pick in the draft be so fragile and terrible at handling the puck. I have watched him for since he was a rookie and he hasn't gotten any better at handling the puck. And for the love of god put on some weight and maybe workout a little and practice handling the puck. Where is James Neal?
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lifetimefan on Sun May 12, 2013 2:23 pm

My series thoughts:
1. Team Defense was no existant. The Pens left their defense at teh 15 game winning streak. Unless they wake up and shape up they will fall sooner than later.
2. Turnovers kill. Until we start controlling the puck and making intelligent passes we will flounder. How a team can play so fundamentally sound in the regular season and turn it off in the playoffs has me befuddled.
3. Sid shows up everynight. He is the harderst working superstar in any sport.
4. Geno is the opposite. He is consistantly coasting and not giving it his all. He shows up when he wants too. As talented as he is, he act is wearing thin with me. I am not adverse to trading him.
5. Letand wants a Norris? He needs to show it in the playoffs with smart play.
6. TK, as much as I hate the maggot, when called upon was there. Two solid games with energy. I fear this has a limit and will be scratched again.
7. PK was stellar. Why can't we play like a team five on five?
8. Voukon bailed out the team and Fleury, however Fleury is still the key to the cup. He needs a head slap to wake up.
9. Disco - took to long to swap Iginla and Kunitz, not seeing much adjust for the opposition, if the team is not sticking to your system dont be hard headed adjust in the game and win.
10. Shereo put talent together for a Cup. Anthing less will result in tough decisions.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Godric on Sun May 12, 2013 2:31 pm

This team is garbage, it's sad because they are capable of so much more
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby eddiefromirwin on Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 pm

joe icepick wrote:Sutter isn't much of a player to me. Gets knocked off the puck easily and sucks on faceoffs. Not a very good passer and seems to get tired quickly. One thing good he'll never get a raise or cost to much. Malkin and Letang are very frustrating to me. Alot of talent but not very smart players. Letang is not a pp quarterback, so i can't fathom paying him 8 mill. Martin is gone after this year if i was GM. Not worth 5 mill. Iginla and Morrow would have to be signed pretty cheap to be back next year. Niskanen is just a average player. MAF would have lost that game last night if he was in net. I will say it again, how can a number one pick in the draft be so fragile and terrible at handling the puck. I have watched him for since he was a rookie and he hasn't gotten any better at handling the puck. And for the love of god put on some weight and maybe workout a little and practice handling the puck. Where is James Neal?

I imagine that Shero might try to move Martin in the offseason. But the reason that he will be able to move him is because he has value. He has had some gaffes but has been by far their most dependable D-man when he hasn't been hurt. He logged over 30 minutes last night!
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 12, 2013 2:46 pm

lifetimefan wrote:My series thoughts:
1. Team Defense was no existant. The Pens left their defense at teh 15 game winning streak. Unless they wake up and shape up they will fall sooner than later.
2. Turnovers kill. Until we start controlling the puck and making intelligent passes we will flounder. How a team can play so fundamentally sound in the regular season and turn it off in the playoffs has me befuddled.
3. Sid shows up everynight. He is the harderst working superstar in any sport.
4. Geno is the opposite. He is consistantly coasting and not giving it his all. He shows up when he wants too. As talented as he is, he act is wearing thin with me. I am not adverse to trading him.
5. Letand wants a Norris? He needs to show it in the playoffs with smart play.
6. TK, as much as I hate the maggot, when called upon was there. Two solid games with energy. I fear this has a limit and will be scratched again.
7. PK was stellar. Why can't we play like a team five on five?
8. Voukon bailed out the team and Fleury, however Fleury is still the key to the cup. He needs a head slap to wake up.
9. Disco - took to long to swap Iginla and Kunitz, not seeing much adjust for the opposition, if the team is not sticking to your system dont be hard headed adjust in the game and win.
10. Shereo put talent together for a Cup. Anthing less will result in tough decisions.

You thought the PK was stellar? I thought we were lucky to have such great numbers. The Isles worked the puck and had tons of room and whiffed on a bunch of great chances....or our goaltending stood strong. I thought our PK was actually pretty ugly, but it got the job done. We didn't block a lot of shots, we didn't win a lot of battles, we didn't intercept or deflect many passes...we just didn't seem very organized. Somehow though, our numbers didn't reflect our play.

Disco - you said if the team is not sticking to your system? That was the WHOLE problem, they WERE sticking to his system, that clearly wasn't working and we couldn't get any offensive zone time because of it.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Sun May 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Thoughts:

-Most posters must be miserable all day (I get there are some glaring issues that need to be fixed, but if you're expecting perfection, spoiler alert: it will never happen)
-Glad none of you run the team I root for
-Islanders are a pro team, give them credit
-I'm not sure if Pens advanced or people posting like the Pens or both
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TrueNorth on Sun May 12, 2013 2:54 pm

I wasn’t able to watch the game last night, and, after reading the comments, I’m glad I couldn’t. I would have been climbing the walls and losing my mind. At this point, I’m thrilled that they won, and I can’t wait for the next round to begin. This series had some added pressure because of the Pens past playoff history with the Islanders. Add to that the need to break the trend of first-round losses. Thankfully, both of these bugbears have been laid to rest and now it’s time to move on, hopefully with some lessons learned.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins