Iginla - class act

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Iginla - class act

Postby The Current One on Wed May 15, 2013 8:06 am

Iginla is a class act through and through. Every interview he does willingly and with a friendly demeanor, and having him represent the Pens is great for the organization and city of Pittsburgh. And, he's quietly produced as expected. Kudos to Shero for picking him up!
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Iginla - class act

Postby jamespensfan on Wed May 15, 2013 8:09 am

He represented Calgary well for all those years. Hockey players on the norm are usually good eggs.
jamespensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby suzinpgh on Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 am

Has he ever done an interview where he is NOT smiling and happy?
Don't know if we will be able to keep him beyond this season, but
it's awesome having him as a Pen.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed May 15, 2013 8:35 am

agreed. I watched the episode of In The Room where he first arrives and is walking around shaking everybody's hand. seems like just the nicest guy ever. :)
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 8:38 am

Just to contrast with another famous right handed winger...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013/st ... ers-losers
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed May 15, 2013 8:42 am

I'm wondering if we still have a bunch of fans in Calgary pulling for the Pens in order to see Iginla get his first cup
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 8:43 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm wondering if we still have a bunch of fans in Calgary pulling for the Pens in order to see Iginla get his first cup

I would imagine that we do.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 15, 2013 8:45 am

Some of them have even posted on here.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 am

Officiating has been pretty ugh throughout the playoffs as a whole imo. From game to game, team to team, there is zero standard. You never know what you're going to get with these turds. I don't mind that someone with stature is criticizing it... I'm not defending him, but it is nice to bring the craptastic officiating to the forefront.

Just look at the holding call and James Neal last night. In what world is that a penalty? How is Brooks Orpik cross-checking a guy into his own crease, keeping him there, cross-checking him again to the ground, and then cross-checking him again to his face pretty much, in what world is that not a penalty.

The officiating has gotten progressively worse since the lockout ended. I don't know what the solution is, but these guys obviously are not catching everything anymore or are turning a blind eye to it.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 am

SoupOrSam wrote:Officiating has been pretty ugh throughout the playoffs as a whole imo. From game to game, team to team, there is zero standard. You never know what you're going to get with these turds. I don't mind that someone with stature is criticizing it... I'm not defending him, but it is nice to bring the craptastic officiating to the forefront.

I definitely do not jump on OV as much as some pens fans like to, but what he did there has absolutely no credibility. He was speaking directly to the officiating costing his team, and his team alone, wins. That's not bringing it to the forefront, that's making an excuse and whining. It's also hard to take from someone who got away with about four different clear cut charges throughout that series.

Anyway, I really only wanted to make mention of it as a contrast to Iginla's off-ice character, which most in the NHL world have admired for over a decade.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stevens25 on Wed May 15, 2013 10:58 am

maybe Rooney will remember what a class act athlete is again.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am

Stevens25 wrote:maybe Rooney will remember what a class act athlete is again.

He'll have to look elsewhere than the NFL.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 am

this thread reminds me of an episode of The League
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 am

The thing that hypes me up the most about potentially winning the cup is the moment he lifts it up. Brenden Morrow too.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Jesse wrote:The thing that hypes me up the most about potentially winning the cup is the moment he lifts it up. Brenden Morrow too.

I'd love to see Sid either do a Sakic, or simply lean into Gary's mic and ask Jarome to lift it first.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 pm

I'd rather just see the team captain lift it and then hand it to him first. Isn't that what happened with Bourque?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'd rather just see the team captain lift it and then hand it to him first. Isn't that what happened with Bourque?

AKA "pulling a Sakic."
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't think of Sakic having anything to do with that, my memory of that cup is Bourque lifting it. His location in the order of players hoisting the cup really has no part in that moment for me.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think of Sakic having anything to do with that, my memory of that cup is Bourque lifting it. His location in the order of players hoisting the cup really has no part in that moment for me.

It's the opposite for me. Whenever someone talks about Bourque and the cup...the first thing I think of is Joe Sakic, simply because of how he did that.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Jesse wrote:The thing that hypes me up the most about potentially winning the cup is the moment he lifts it up. Brenden Morrow too.

I remember how happy I was when Selanne lifted the Cup, and I'm right with you on this, also. Those two have added more urgency to my rooting, as though that could even be humanly possible!

Jesse, BTW, I'm a long-time FF reader, and I appreciate the work you all are doing over there, especially during the playoffs and the draft. It's been great seeing your staff and your site grow.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Wed May 15, 2013 1:39 pm

It was Gonchar last time around for me. This time, it's Martin/Vokoun because if the Pens get there, one or both of those guys will have played a huge part.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 pm

sil wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I don't think of Sakic having anything to do with that, my memory of that cup is Bourque lifting it. His location in the order of players hoisting the cup really has no part in that moment for me.

It's the opposite for me. Whenever someone talks about Bourque and the cup...the first thing I think of is Joe Sakic, simply because of how he did that.

:thumb: Same for me.

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GreenLantern on Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm wondering if we still have a bunch of fans in Calgary pulling for the Pens in order to see Iginla get his first cup

Yes, somewhere around 1 million or so...

Iggy has been a quiet performer on the Pens, steadily putting up points and an absolute beast on the PP. His 5 on 5 play has not bee the greatest, but I have seen him play more defense 5 on 5 in 20 games with the pens than the last 2 seasons with the Flames.. maybe not being the top dog anymore has humbled him a bit. He was under siege last night on the CBC feed, but Hughson and Healy are huge Canucks homers and it is nothing new than for them to pick on a former Flame.

As for being a class act, there are few in the league that are on the same level of class as Jarmoe Imgla.

Sakic took the Cup and handed it directly to Bourque, he lifted it a few times then tried to hand it off, Sakic said no no, go for a skate. So Bourque took the Cup and skated around for a bit with it. It was a great moment and one hockey fans will remember for a life time.

For some reason I suck at embedding youtube videos on this forum, but here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-adnOYdqJg
GreenLantern

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm

I got ya.

Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

yeah, i don't think ive seen an athlete with such an overwhelming upbeat and positive outlook while always smiling even after blowing a third period lead in the playoffs. he commented how when the pens were tied 2-2 that it could be really good for the pens and it was a good situation. his comments about geno in the paper today were exactly what a great teammate should say about a superstar when reporters in PIT especially seem to want nothing more than to be critical of 71. Iggy just seems like the nicest guy in the world.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins