'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Recently, the Pens M.O. has been to lay an egg in game 2 of a series. Hopefully that doesn't happen.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:48 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Recently, the Pens M.O. has been to lay an egg in game 2 of a series. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Agree, force these guys to win the next 4 out of 5 if they want to win this series.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm

I like Conacher..but if he continues through this series to do the stuff he did in game one.. that will end.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 15, 2013 4:07 pm

The U wrote:He had a nice regular season so I'm not anti-Sutter. If the 3rd and 4th lines are cycling, banging bodies, and possessing the puck I'm not sure what more we could ask from them in this series. They don't need to score much.

he had a few nice moments, but i'd contend that he was just as invisible all year as he has been in the playoffs. he's has nice shot and decent hands, but he's only going to be in position to use them on very rare occasions because he's too slow to lug the puck or even find his way into the offensive zone before a play dies. whatever line he's on isn't going to provide offense. on this team, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but you're certainly not going to get as much out of his wings as you'd hope.

his game fits the description of a 4th line center, not a 3rd line center. i'd rather have jokinen in his spot, but i also don't want to mess with a winning formula. so whatever.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 15, 2013 4:22 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Guys tightened up around him. Thats the driver right now... DMen don't want to burn another goalie.

To paraphrase what Kunitz said on CBC after last night's game, "we're fully confident in both goalies. We left Fleury out a dry a little bit, and we don't want to do the same thing to Vokoun".

To be fair, Fleury left the team out to dry on several goals in the first 4 games. Something Vokoun hasn't done (sans the lone goal last night but when it only happens once in a game and it's the only goal you let in, I can overlook)

I believe what Kunitz was getting at is that they didn't do anything to make Fleury's job any easier, bad goals or not. Kind of a "he struggled but we didn't help him out either" statement.

Understatement... Fleury was absolutely shelled in games 2 & 3.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby farnham16 on Wed May 15, 2013 4:24 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:Recently, the Pens M.O. has been to lay an egg in game 2 of a series. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

They haven't won a Game 2 since the Ottawa series in 2010.

Pens have been terrible in Game 2 lately.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby booboo on Wed May 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:- Nealer was edgy but one of those calls (holding on Karlsson) was complete BS.

He got outsmarted by Karlsson. Hope his playoff IQ improves soon. If not, he will be a liability.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 15, 2013 4:55 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Pens4Life87 wrote:

Why would you tinker with a PK that shut down the opposistion?

The PK is good despite Adams at this point.He lost 3 of 4 FO on the PK last night. They've resorted to putting Sid --the guy with the face shield on -- to take FO on the PK. Jussi resolves that right away.

Good despite Adams? The PK has given up 1 more goal than it has scored in 25 attempts. The only reason it isn't dead even is because Kris Letang was playing as the ES 3rd winger on a breakout during a kill. In that time Adams leads the team in PK ice time and is 2nd overall in the league (1st by forwards).
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Wed May 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Doesn't seem like Bylsma's style to bench Sutter, and no way will he bench Adams.

I agree with whoever said the extra day off should benefit the Pens. They'll be hungry and they'll certainly remember what happened in game two of the first round.

Second period last night looked a little like the Islanders series at times but overall it was a relief to see the Pens look normal again.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Wed May 15, 2013 5:35 pm

People have been saying the Sens are even faster than the Isles, and I just don't see where they are coming from with that. Every single player on the Isles can skate, even the defense (Carkner the one exception, and it's not like speed is necessarily his problem anyway). Not that they're slow, the Sens are just not WTF-fast.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I just wish Morrow could get going.

Lange and Bourque mentioned him during the 3rd period (I think) when the Sens started scrums. They said something like Morrow hasn't been noisy on the score sheet, but he's making his presence known: they saw Morrow in the middle of a mass of pushing, shoving, and piling on "grinning from ear to ear. He's LOVING this."

:D
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 15, 2013 5:38 pm

wondermoose wrote:People have been saying the Sens are even faster than the Isles, and I just don't see where they are coming from with that. Every single player on the Isles can skate, even the defense (Carkner the one exception, and it's not like speed is necessarily his problem anyway). Not that they're slow, the Sens are just not WTF-fast.

What people is that because most people say with regularity that the Islanders are a much quicker team than the Senators.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:
Dr Rosenrosen wrote:I thought one of the Pens' greatest assets last night was going into Zen mode when Neil (and others) tried to turn things into the '12 Flyers series.

There's definitely something to this. I got a good laugh last night reading HF and seeing Flyers fans saying stuff like, "I don't understand! We've given every team in the league the blueprint to beat this Pens team!!! WHY isn't it working?! It's supposed to work!!!" Maybe because, while the Pens still have their moments, they're not that Pens team anymore.

This year's Penguin team would have beaten the 2012 Flyers in four or five games. Last year they didn't have Vokoun to turn to, plus a number of cool-headed veterans to steer the ship. Guys like Doug Murray and Brenden Morrow are a vast improvement from the Steve Sullivans of the world.

Not to mention when your power play is clicking at almost 40% in the playoffs, it kinda sucks putting your team shorthanded if you are Ottawa. Neil can start all the scrums he wants. If he ends up in the box, the puck will end up in his net and his team mates will be golfing by next weekend. It's that simple.

Crankshaft vs. the Flyers in the playoffs: That would be something to see. "Hello, Zac. I want you to hit me so I can punch you, tie you up with Bobby Clarke's banner, and drop kick you into the upper bowl."
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:

Lange and Bourque mentioned him during the 3rd period (I think) when the Sens started scrums. They said something like Morrow hasn't been noisy on the score sheet, but he's making his presence known: they saw Morrow in the middle of a mass of pushing, shoving, and piling on "grinning from ear to ear. He's LOVING this."

He had one of the biggest smiles on his face when tiny little conacher was trying to start something
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:

He had one of the biggest smiles on his face when tiny little conacher was trying to start something

I think we're going to see some good stuff from Mo going forward... Cory Conacher and J-G Pageau are on my list already.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby puckeye on Wed May 15, 2013 6:49 pm

darkstar57 wrote:That might have been orpik's best game in a long time made some huge plays to prevent goals

completely agree on 44, great to see him healthy

Have to admit, I was bitterly disappointed with Malkin's game in 1st round. carelessness, wasn't finishing checks ( i know he is not paid to hit but... ) and generally playing high-risk hockey. That all said, he was a beast last night, d-zone coverage was very good, reminded me a bit of when Mario would turn it up defensively. He is so dangerous, like no other, when he plays like that.

what can you say about Dupuis... guy is just flying, playing at an unbelievable level

Sid is Sid, so consistent, so breathtaking and solid at the same time. going to be fun if they both get rolling

Thought Sutter quietly played a great brand of playoff hockey, 3rd line was jumping all night, love TK's energy

Letang made some quality plays but the turnovers on the breakouts have to stop. He has to find that balance. If he ever does consistently, the Norris will live in Pittsburgh for a long time

like Morrow and Iggy are just spare parts that lurking ready to pounce on their playoff moments, bless Shero. Especially loved Morrow's hit on I think Neil where he knocked his helmet off and went right back at him laughing. The look on his face was everything that is good about the playoffs

All the good, still the Sens had some quality opportunities that they did not get good bounces on especially early where the outcome could have been a lot different. That said, believe the Pens have levels that they will continue to rise to if they limit the turnovers.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 15, 2013 9:49 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:I like Conacher..but if he continues through this series to do the stuff he did in game one.. that will end.

What he did in game 1 is show that he cannot take it without being selfish. Keep hitting his little behind, and scoring on the PPs that his retaliation produces.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Thu May 16, 2013 8:57 am

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Pens4Life87 wrote:

Why would you tinker with a PK that shut down the opposistion?

The PK is good despite Adams at this point.He lost 3 of 4 FO on the PK last night. They've resorted to putting Sid --the guy with the face shield on -- to take FO on the PK. Jussi resolves that right away.

Good despite Adams? The PK has given up 1 more goal than it has scored in 25 attempts. The only reason it isn't dead even is because Kris Letang was playing as the ES 3rd winger on a breakout during a kill. In that time Adams leads the team in PK ice time and is 2nd overall in the league (1st by forwards).

We had the 25th ranked PK in the league this year. His blocked shots are down, he loses FO at key times, and fails to clear the zone consistently. Don't confuse being on the ice with being good.

He was a great penalty killer on one of the leagues top PK unit over the last few years and probably could be again, but he has not been good this year.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby joe icepick on Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:I like Conacher..but if he continues through this series to do the stuff he did in game one.. that will end.

Loving Conacher, little guy is keeping the Pens interested.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 am

I would try Vitale and Kennedy, Adams is to damn slow. Or Sid and Malkin, wouldn't that shake up the Sens?
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 am

booboo wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:- Nealer was edgy but one of those calls (holding on Karlsson) was complete BS.

He got outsmarted by Karlsson. Hope his playoff IQ improves soon. If not, he will be a liability.

I'm not sure how Karlsson being a weak little pansy outsmarted Neal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 am

He's getting 3:47 of SH ice time per game in the playoffs with a unit that is killing penalties at a 92% clip. He's winning 61% of his short-handed faceoff draws. Small sample size for sure, but Adams isn't going anywhere.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 am

DelPen wrote:
booboo wrote:

I'm not sure how Karlsson being a weak little pansy outsmarted Neal.

Don't think he outsmarted him, but up 3-1, dump the puck in and don't touch the 160 lbs guy.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 am

pfim wrote:He's getting 3:47 of SH ice time per game in the playoffs with a unit that is killing penalties at a 92% clip. He's winning 61% of his short-handed faceoff draws. Small sample size for sure, but Adams isn't going anywhere.

Ignoring the rest of it, he's getting a ton of SH ice time so he's obviously valued by the coach.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 am

MarioLives wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
DelPen wrote:I wouldn't say the lone Sens goal was a softy by Vokoun. He didn't have it covered but he had no help to keep the Sens away from the net after. If either Engellend or Murray does their job then that goal never happens.

But, at the same token, people would be crucifying Fleury for it and calling it a terrible goal. Regardless of who was on the ice.

It was a pretty soft goal that was preventable by Vokoun. Gotta hug the post better.

agree, Fleury would have been hammered for that. I know I got a bit nervous after that one.

Well Vokoun apparently didn't get nervous, and he's the one that counted. :wink:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins