'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 9:59 am

I am much more concerned about the quantity of soft goals (and # of goals in general) as opposed to the quality of their softness.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PAPLine on Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

Pitt87 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Guys tightened up around him. Thats the driver right now... DMen don't want to burn another goalie.

To paraphrase what Kunitz said on CBC after last night's game, "we're fully confident in both goalies. We left Fleury out a dry a little bit, and we don't want to do the same thing to Vokoun".

To be fair, Fleury left the team out to dry on several goals in the first 4 games. Something Vokoun hasn't done (sans the lone goal last night but when it only happens once in a game and it's the only goal you let in, I can overlook)

I believe what Kunitz was getting at is that they didn't do anything to make Fleury's job any easier, bad goals or not. Kind of a "he struggled but we didn't help him out either" statement.

Understatement... Fleury was absolutely shelled in games 2 & 3.

Vokoun has played solid goal for the Pens the last three games. It has not been spectacular, but solid. The defense has closed up around him some, and we'll see Friday if they keep it up. If Disco does go back to MAF at some point in time (like maybe when we are up 3-0 in a series) then I believe the defense will rally around him as well. If the team plays defense like it did during the second half of the season, then either goaltender will do.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pugilist13 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:24 am

joe icepick wrote:I would try Vitale and Kennedy, Adams is to damn slow. Or Sid and Malkin, wouldn't that shake up the Sens?

Sure, blow up a PK unit that's killing 93% in the playoffs for guys who never do it. :scared:
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 16, 2013 10:40 am

PAPLine wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
tfrizz wrote:To paraphrase what Kunitz said on CBC after last night's game, "we're fully confident in both goalies. We left Fleury out a dry a little bit, and we don't want to do the same thing to Vokoun".

To be fair, Fleury left the team out to dry on several goals in the first 4 games. Something Vokoun hasn't done (sans the lone goal last night but when it only happens once in a game and it's the only goal you let in, I can overlook)

I believe what Kunitz was getting at is that they didn't do anything to make Fleury's job any easier, bad goals or not. Kind of a "he struggled but we didn't help him out either" statement.

Understatement... Fleury was absolutely shelled in games 2 & 3.

Vokoun has played solid goal for the Pens the last three games. It has not been spectacular, but solid. The defense has closed up around him some, and we'll see Friday if they keep it up. If Disco does go back to MAF at some point in time (like maybe when we are up 3-0 in a series) then I believe the defense will rally around him as well. If the team plays defense like it did during the second half of the season, then either goaltender will do.

Vokoun's done a great job of stabilizing and steadying the team, and because I that I think they'd be fine if they went back to Fleury. However, Vokoun has earned the right to play.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu May 16, 2013 10:44 am

farnham16 wrote:
WDWBurghGooner wrote:Recently, the Pens M.O. has been to lay an egg in game 2 of a series. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

They haven't won a Game 2 since the Ottawa series in 2010.

Pens have been terrible in Game 2 lately.

I look at things statistically. And I know you can't always do that (The Blues had a 2-0 lead and lost to the Kings for example). But, if you get up 2-0 you have 5 games to win 2 more. I like those odds a lot. I guess that is my simple way of breaking things down as a fan. Bottomline, the Pens need to play well and things will take care of themselves.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 am

TV deserves his playing time till he faulters - MAF played three stinkers before riding the pine. Re the 'soft goal' he allowed 'just like MAF', ask yourself how many times Flower let in one of those then won the game 4-1 with a .972 save percentage?

Re Adams, I'm not a fan of his sluggishness and hope he is replaced by Vitale next season. At the moment I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As the game was blacked out I wanted to ask - the Murray-Engo pairing seemed to live up to the low expectations, was Letang-Murray, Nisky-Engo ever an option? If so did it work?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 am

At first I thought you were saying that you blacked out during the game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 16, 2013 10:55 am

Luckybreak wrote:TV deserves his playing time till he faulters - MAF played three stinkers before riding the pine. Re the 'soft goal' he allowed 'just like MAF', ask yourself how many times Flower let in one of those then won the game 4-1 with a .972 save percentage?

Re Adams, I'm not a fan of his sluggishness and hope he is replaced by Vitale next season. At the moment I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As the game was blacked out I wanted to ask - the Murray-Engo pairing seemed to live up to the low expectations, was Letang-Murray, Nisky-Engo ever an option? If so did it work?

Those parings aren't an option as Letang would try to do too much and Nisky can't do too much. I'd prefer Despres for Engo but I do understand the reasoning behind Engo being in there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:58 am

<Draftnik>If this series was played on NHL 13, sure, you'd replace Adams with a faster, higher rated player. But this isn't a video game. Adams intangibles outweigh his lack of speed and scoring touch. Short of an injury or suspension, Adams isn't leaving the lineup.</Draftnik>
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 am

I wish he would return, but I don't think it's ever happening.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:<Draftnik>If this series was played on NHL 13, sure, you'd replace Adams with a faster, higher rated player. But this isn't a video game. Adams intangibles outweigh his lack of speed and scoring touch. Short of an injury or suspension, Adams isn't leaving the lineup.</Draftnik>

If it was Drafty we'd have a 10,000 word dissertation about why Adams should be in there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Thu May 16, 2013 11:08 am

Idoit40fans wrote:At first I thought you were saying that you blacked out during the game.

Not reached that level of excitement yet! However, reaching that level of drunkeness is a distinct possibility...
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:was Letang-Murray, Nisky-Engo ever an option? If so did it work?

Those parings aren't an option as Letang would try to do too much and Nisky can't do too much. I'd prefer Despres for Engo but I do understand the reasoning behind Engo being in there.

I thought Nisky-Murray was a really great 3rd pairing and Tanger seems to play best with Despres, he develops a sense of defensive responsibility. I've always liked Engo and think his straight line speed is ok, the problem is his agility/manouverability (I'd advocate a Glass-Vitale-Engelland 4th line next season). The foot speed of Murray/Engo is begging the Sens to start a cycle and not stop till the series is over!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Thu May 16, 2013 11:28 am

Luckybreak wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:was Letang-Murray, Nisky-Engo ever an option? If so did it work?

I thought Nisky-Murray was a really great 3rd pairing and Tanger seems to play best with Despres, he develops a sense of defensive responsibility. I've always liked Engo and think his straight line speed is ok, the problem is his agility/manouverability (I'd advocate a Glass-Vitale-Engelland 4th line next season). The foot speed of Murray/Engo is begging the Sens to start a cycle and not stop till the series is over!

I don't know that 2-3 pairing was great but I thought it was a quite servicable 3rd pairing and the two players worked well together.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:28 am

Pens can avoid the Murray/Engo matchups against top lines when the Pens are at home. If I were the Sens I would attack that line every day in games 3 & 4.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 16, 2013 11:30 am

Oh look two RWs back with Malkin in practice. WTF
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 am

I don't expect Murray/Engo to be a pair in Ottawa.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Thu May 16, 2013 11:33 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Oh look two RWs back with Malkin in practice. WTF

DAN, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP TRYING SOMETHING THAT HAS NO GODDAMN CHANCE OF WORKING. NEAL ISN'T A LW ANYMORE AND IGINLA NEVER WAS.

Jesus, i feel like i'm yelling at a dog to get off the furniture. Gonna go down to CEC and just slap Bylsma and say, "No, stop it."
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 am

Goal scoring hasn't been an issue. The lines today were how they practiced before game 5 of Isles series.

They could make a line of Kunitz Jussi Iggy for all I care. The other 2 pairs shouldn't be touched (Geno/Neal Sid/Duper)
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 am

Relax. We're going to need Malkin and Iginla to be able to play alongside each other at some point if we want to win the cup...just creates all the more matchup problems for the better teams. It's a good thing.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Thu May 16, 2013 11:40 am

Beveridge wrote:I don't expect Murray/Engo to be a pair in Ottawa.

I'm hoping Engellend misses the team flight alltogether. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 16, 2013 11:40 am

sil wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I don't expect Murray/Engo to be a pair in Ottawa.

I'm hoping Engellend misses the team flight alltogether. :pop:

:fist:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:17 pm

Bioshock wrote:

DAN, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP TRYING SOMETHING THAT HAS NO GODDAMN CHANCE OF WORKING. NEAL ISN'T A LW ANYMORE AND IGINLA NEVER WAS.

Jesus, i feel like i'm yelling at a dog to get off the furniture. Gonna go down to CEC and just slap Bylsma and say, "No, stop it."

Neal had 12 less PIMs with Iginla on his line.

And it's not going to really matter much. Not like Crosby's line produced any more than it already was with Iginla as opposed to Kunitz.

Also, it's highly possible Bylsma sees a match-up with Iginla on Malkin's line that isn't there when Iginla is on with Crosby.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu May 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Neal on LW doesn't bother me so much. He's used to playing there, and perhaps playing along the boards will help him simplify and get his game going. We'll need him firing on all cylinders sooner than not.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu May 16, 2013 12:24 pm

Bioshock wrote:

And Bylsma will likely pull out a Jack Adams Trophy and beat you with it.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins