'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I will admit. Arguing over who should be playing where in the top 6 and not who should we try to get to fit in the top 6 is wayyyyyyyyyyyy better.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 12:35 pm

I enjoy arguing about whether or not Malkin earns the criticism he gets.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu May 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:<Draftnik>If this series was played on NHL 13, sure, you'd replace Adams with a faster, higher rated player. But this isn't a video game. Adams intangibles outweigh his lack of speed and scoring touch. Short of an injury or suspension, Adams isn't leaving the lineup.</Draftnik>

If it was Drafty we'd have a 10,000 word dissertation about why Adams should be in there.

I miss Draftnik. :cry:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu May 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Wasn't Draftnik the one who said Douglass Murray was a linebacker on skates?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu May 16, 2013 12:38 pm

sil wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Oh look two RWs back with Malkin in practice. WTF

Relax. We're going to need Malkin and Iginla to be able to play alongside each other at some point if we want to win the cup...just creates all the more matchup problems for the better teams. It's a good thing.

Perhaps Bylsma is doing that to throw Ottawa off in their game preparations?

Not that it matters with how much line juggling and random pairing he does in game anyway!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu May 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Pitts wrote:
sil wrote:

Relax. We're going to need Malkin and Iginla to be able to play alongside each other at some point if we want to win the cup...just creates all the more matchup problems for the better teams. It's a good thing.

Not that it matters with how much line juggling and random pairing he does in game anyway!

If he's doing it to try and throw Ottawa off their game, then he's way over thinking it. Put your best lines out there and make sure they execute. Ottawa can't hang with the amount of talent that the Pens are putting on the ice.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Thu May 16, 2013 1:02 pm

The Pens have shown a high-responsiveness to changes. Blsyma put out 14-87-9 in the third and they quickly took all the momentum back. Game 5, he moved Iginla up with Sid and the lines clicked right away and took the game over.

This may be reading too much into it, but I think it demonstrates the Pen's eagerness for more leadership from their coach. They respond well to new initiatives, no matter what those initiatives are.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IMFC on Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Pitts wrote:
sil wrote:

If he's doing it to try and throw Ottawa off their game, then he's way over thinking it. Put your best lines out there and make sure they execute. Ottawa can't hang with the amount of talent that the Pens are putting on the ice.

This is assinine. So you're NOT going to try to throw off the preparations of the greatest coach of our era? A coach who is going to win the first of his twenty-nine consecutive Jack Adams awards this very year? That's a recipe for disaster. Not that ANYONE could throw off Maclean's preparations EVER because he's a genius, but you have to try. Bylsma knows he's way way WAY out of his league, but he's no quitter.

Sens win next 12 in a row CUP CITY.
IMFC
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby westside on Thu May 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Pitts wrote:
sil wrote:

This. It killed me during the first 4 games to not see Sig/Iggy/Dupuis then it was finally there and they looked good. Then he changes back in the 3rd period last game (while up 3-1). I get mixing lines when you're down on the scoreboard but I do not understand the move at that point. The fact that both lines looked very flat after that did not help either. I also feel if this was a 'hey, lets give them a new look' type of move, then switch back every few shifts to really throw them off. I get a bad feeling we'll see Geno/Iggy and Sid/Kunitz all next game but I really really hope I'm wrong.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 pm

I feel like people are making a bigger deal out of this than they really need to.

Who cares whether the lines are 9-87-12 and 14-71-18 or 9-87-14 and 18-71-12? If they go out and do their job, and the Pens are winning, why the **** does it matter?

People complain about Iginla on Malkin's wing apparently don't realize that Iginla was still putting up points there. They also fail to notice that James Neal played a much more disciplined game with Iginla as opposed to Kunitz.

It's really not that big of a deal. You're making a mountain range out of an anthill.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 16, 2013 1:13 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I feel like people are making a bigger deal out of this than they really need to.

Who cares whether the lines are 9-87-12 or 9-87-14? If they go out and do their job, and the Pens are winning, why the **** does it matter?

We both know the answer is because Bylsma is the ultimate whipping boy on LGP.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I feel like people are making a bigger deal out of this than they really need to.

Who cares whether the lines are 9-87-12 and 14-71-18 or 9-87-14 and 18-71-12? If they go out and do their job, and the Pens are winning, why the **** does it matter?

People complain about Iginla on Malkin's wing apparently don't realize that Iginla was still putting up points there. They also fail to notice that James Neal played a much more disciplined game with Iginla as opposed to Kunitz.

It's really not that big of a deal. You're making a mountain range out of an anthill.

Hey Randall, not really disagreeing too much. My biggest problem is that he changes the lines too fast. Even superstars might need a 5-game stretch to "gel" with each other. Kunitz - Malkin - Neal was the best line in hockey for an entire season. I would not touch that.

I just like how HCDB can be so quick to pull/move someone in the top 9, but then you have Craig Adams with no offensive skills never sitting.

If this team wins the cup, it will be because of its forward scoring depth. I think Jokinen should be playing on the 4th line.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 16, 2013 1:17 pm

IMFC wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Pitts wrote:
sil wrote:

This is assinine. So you're NOT going to try to throw off the preparations of the greatest coach of our era? A coach who is going to win the first of his twenty-nine consecutive Jack Adams awards this very year? That's a recipe for disaster. Not that ANYONE could throw off Maclean's preparations EVER because he's a genius, but you have to try. Bylsma knows he's way way WAY out of his league, but he's no quitter.

Sens win next 12 in a row CUP CITY.

You owe me a new sarcast-o-meter.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 1:17 pm

What if I want it to be 14-87-9 and 18-71-12?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu May 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Didn't they already make the switch halfway through game one anyway?
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby champeen on Thu May 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

thank you. sid's line has never, nor will it ever be 9-87-14.
champeen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Pitts wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:<Draftnik>If this series was played on NHL 13, sure, you'd replace Adams with a faster, higher rated player. But this isn't a video game. Adams intangibles outweigh his lack of speed and scoring touch. Short of an injury or suspension, Adams isn't leaving the lineup.</Draftnik>

If it was Drafty we'd have a 10,000 word dissertation about why Adams should be in there.

I for one do not. Yeah he had great hockey knowledge but his chosen form of delivery was belittling, condescending, and all around rude. I don't miss him.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu May 16, 2013 2:06 pm

71-87-18
14-36-12
10-66-99
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu May 16, 2013 2:08 pm

25-66-92
12-10-7
24-19-68
29-38-16
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 16, 2013 2:10 pm

I would buy Lemieux turing Vokoun AND Tangradi into 30 goal scorers each. :pop:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu May 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Beveridge wrote:I would buy Lemieux turing Vokoun AND Tangradi into 30 goal scorers each. :pop:

Definitely Vokoun, but Tangradi?? Lemieux is good, but not that good.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 2:17 pm

meow wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I would buy Lemieux turing Vokoun AND Tangradi into 30 goal scorers each. :pop:

I don't think that 92 is supposed to be Vokoun. :pop:

Spoiler:
Its James Harrison
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:17 pm

champeen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

thank you. sid's line has never, nor will it ever be 9-87-14.

Semantics.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu May 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
meow wrote:

I don't think that 92 is supposed to be Vokoun. :pop:

Spoiler:
Its James Harrison

We can't deal with any suspensions this post-season.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:43 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Pitts wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

I for one do not. Yeah he had great hockey knowledge but his chosen form of delivery was belittling, condescending, and all around rude. I don't miss him.

This.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins