penmyst wrote:The evolution of a team goes:
1. Losers happy to get to .500.
2. .500 happy to fight for a playoff seed as a bubble team.
3. Bubble team satisfied to squeak in the playoffs.
4. Low seed happy to win a round.
5. Better than average team believing they can win a couple rounds, maybe even get hot and in Finals. But at this point, now a perennial playoff team that expects more than 1 round.
6. Team that is consistently near top seeds, and expects to be in Conference Finals at minimum.
7. Team that has enough talent and depth to challenge for a Cup every year.
The Pens are #7. Anything less than a Cup Finals appearance is failure. It's as high as you get with team evolution. Nobody can ever EXPECT a Cup win, since generally the team you will face is similarly as good as yourself.
It's like you read my mind.