What would be good enough?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What would be good enough?

Postby PAPLine on Fri May 17, 2013 4:22 pm

penmyst wrote:The evolution of a team goes:

1. Losers happy to get to .500.
2. .500 happy to fight for a playoff seed as a bubble team.
3. Bubble team satisfied to squeak in the playoffs.
4. Low seed happy to win a round.
5. Better than average team believing they can win a couple rounds, maybe even get hot and in Finals. But at this point, now a perennial playoff team that expects more than 1 round.
6. Team that is consistently near top seeds, and expects to be in Conference Finals at minimum.
7. Team that has enough talent and depth to challenge for a Cup every year.

The Pens are #7. Anything less than a Cup Finals appearance is failure. It's as high as you get with team evolution. Nobody can ever EXPECT a Cup win, since generally the team you will face is similarly as good as yourself.

It's like you read my mind.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PAPLine on Fri May 17, 2013 4:26 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:I will be really disappointed if we don't make it out of the East, and I'm never that optimistic about any of my teams. Without inter-conference play there are no numbers to back this up, but I suspect that the West is a lot tougher than the East.

I did watch a bunch of west conf games this year, and I would agree for Chicago and Anaheim, and recently LA and Detroit. The rest looked pretty pedestrian.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 17, 2013 4:58 pm

PAPLine wrote:
penmyst wrote:The evolution of a team goes:

1. Losers happy to get to .500.
2. .500 happy to fight for a playoff seed as a bubble team.
3. Bubble team satisfied to squeak in the playoffs.
4. Low seed happy to win a round.
5. Better than average team believing they can win a couple rounds, maybe even get hot and in Finals. But at this point, now a perennial playoff team that expects more than 1 round.
6. Team that is consistently near top seeds, and expects to be in Conference Finals at minimum.
7. Team that has enough talent and depth to challenge for a Cup every year.

The Pens are #7. Anything less than a Cup Finals appearance is failure. It's as high as you get with team evolution. Nobody can ever EXPECT a Cup win, since generally the team you will face is similarly as good as yourself.

It's like you read my mind.

So I submit there's an eighth level, the 80's Islanders after four consecutive 'Cups, the 80's Oilers Dynasty and the 70's Candiens dynastys... those fan bases expected to win every year. Not just challenge.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins