Let me introduce myself~ Brooks, not Bruce Orpik

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Let me introduce myself~ Brooks, not Bruce Orpik

Postby penny lane on Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 am

Good thoughts from Br :shock: ks Stay fierce Brooks!

If BROOKS Orpik wasn't detaining little Cory Conacher in the goal crease (and cross-checking him in the face), he was rope-a-doping Chris Neil, stifling Jakob Silfverberg's point-blank scoring chance or stepping up to attempt huge hits — one of which ended Eric Gryba's evening.

Even on his way out of the locker room, Orpik found conflict. A reporter addressed him with a word that sounded suspiciously like “Bruce.”

“Brooks,” Orpik countered.
“Bruce,” the reporter repeated.
“Brooks,” Orpik replied, testily.

Orpik finally cracked a smile when I asked if he's close to “a hundred percent.”

“I haven't been a hundred percent in 10 years,” he said. “I don't even know what a hundred percent is anymore. But I don't have any complaints. If you can get out there and skate, that's good enough this time of year.”

:thumb:

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/4 ... z2TSPJHZhA
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Let me introduce myself~ Brooks, not Bruce Orpik

Postby tfrizz on Thu May 16, 2013 8:29 am

Pierre Maguire: "No no no, it's Bruce Orpeck!"
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Thu May 16, 2013 8:49 am

"If Orpik wasn't detaining little Cory Conacher in the goal crease (and cross-checking him in the face)"

I have seen about 3 crosschecks to the face in the last week! I've managed to attain the playoff rules mindset, but many others are :scared:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby scals37 on Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 am

they allow reporters into the locker rooms that don't know players' first names? What a joke journalism has become
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DocEmrick on Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 am

scals37 wrote:they allow reporters into the locker rooms that don't know players' first names? What a joke journalism has become

There used to be entire degrees based around journalism, now anyone with a computer, an internet connection, and the slightest idea how to setup WordPress can become a "journalist."
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 am

Penspal wrote:"If Orpik wasn't detaining little Cory Conacher in the goal crease (and cross-checking him in the face)"

I have seen about 3 crosschecks to the face in the last week! I've managed to attain the playoff rules mindset, but many others are :scared:

I think the Roszival crosscheck to the neck/face was my favorite.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Thu May 16, 2013 9:30 am

Journalism school:

Day 1 - write about what everyone's tweeting.
Day 2 - here's your diploma.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 am

Shakes wrote:Journalism school:

Day 1 wasn't even that hard...suspiciously little writing gets done vs. what you might expect in J school...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:06 am

mikey287 wrote:
Shakes wrote:Journalism school:

Day 1 wasn't even that hard...suspiciously little writing gets done vs. what you might expect in J school...

Not where I went. We gradually built up from 1 article per class every two weeks (generally staggered between classes so you had one per week) to two articles per week per class, totaling four per week -- and any error previously made by you was an automatic drop in grade, any misspelled name was an automatic "F," and all of our mistakes are dissected at length in front of the class in an attempt to embarrass us as we would be had the story run in a public forum.

I don't work in the field any longer, but my journalism schooling was about as rigorous and writing-heavy as they come.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu May 16, 2013 10:18 am

Bruce Orpik isn't as good as Pat Martin
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 am

Lucky you, I wish I was put through those rigors when I went...there were some small pockets of something close to your describing, but it wasn't intensive enough. I took very, very little away from it unfortunately...part of that was my own doing, part of that was the lack of challenge...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu May 16, 2013 10:38 am

That's interesting about the "criticism" aspect of jornalism school. They do that at Syracuse too, or so I'm told, and that's considered one of the better journalism schools in the nation. My wife spent one year as a journalism major at a PA state school before switching to Nutrition, and she thought it was horribly non-challenging, so a lot depends on the quality of the school I suppose.

Public criticism is pretty important for a journalist, as is the ability to take it and grow from it without taking it too personally. Architecture schools and art schools are founded on that type of learning as well...for obvious reasons. Nothing like working on something for three months straight...with countless all-nighters...only to have 2-3 professors tear it to shreds in front of everyone. :cry:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:39 am

SolidSnake wrote:Bruce Orpik isn't as good as Pat Martin

Who called him Pat? :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 am

llipgh2 wrote:

Don Bylsma.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 am

Allow me to reintroduce myself
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:47 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Allow me to reintroduce myself

I'm a man of wealth and taste
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby roland on Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 am

"Allow myself to introduce....myself"

Spoiler:
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:56 am

sil wrote:That's interesting about the "criticism" aspect of jornalism school. They do that at Syracuse too, or so I'm told, and that's considered one of the better journalism schools in the nation. My wife spent one year as a journalism major at a PA state school before switching to Nutrition, and she thought it was horribly non-challenging, so a lot depends on the quality of the school I suppose.

Public criticism is pretty important for a journalist, as is the ability to take it and grow from it without taking it too personally. Architecture schools and art schools are founded on that type of learning as well...for obvious reasons. Nothing like working on something for three months straight...with countless all-nighters...only to have 2-3 professors tear it to shreds in front of everyone. :cry:

Very true. It actually almost turned me away from it at first, as I was the type of student who didn't want noticed. I wanted to go to class, do my part, and get out. Presentations, class participation, etc weren't for me. But the primary professor at my university was captivating and a true "old school" journalist who wanted NOTHING but facts. Zero opinion, zero statements without attributions, etc. He lured me in and I ended up finishing among the top three in my class. I've since pissed him off and have lost touch, since I no longer work in the field.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 11:57 am

stopper40 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Allow me to reintroduce myself

I'm a man of wealth and taste

roland wrote:"Allow myself to introduce....myself"

Spoiler:

Both of you are incorrect. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 11:59 am

Defence21 wrote:
sil wrote:That's interesting about the "criticism" aspect of jornalism school. They do that at Syracuse too, or so I'm told, and that's considered one of the better journalism schools in the nation. My wife spent one year as a journalism major at a PA state school before switching to Nutrition, and she thought it was horribly non-challenging, so a lot depends on the quality of the school I suppose.

Very true. It actually almost turned me away from it at first, as I was the type of student who didn't want noticed. I wanted to go to class, do my part, and get out. Presentations, class participation, etc weren't for me. But the primary professor at my university was captivating and a true "old school" journalist who wanted NOTHING but facts. Zero opinion, zero statements without attributions, etc. He lured me in and I ended up finishing among the top three in my class. I've since pissed him off and have lost touch, since I no longer work in the field.

Ahhh...like any good story it has a happy ending.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

Ahhh...like any good story it has a happy ending.

Haha, truth...but, I can't take away his teaching ability and passion for the field. Like I said, one class with him and I was hooked.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jwest21 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 pm

“Brooks,” Orpik countered.
“Bruce,” the reporter repeated.
“Brooks,” Orpik replied, testily.

I like that the reporter corrected Brooks on his own first name. "No, Mr. Orpik. Your name is Bruce"
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Thu May 16, 2013 3:40 pm

With the TV on closed captioning, it clearly spells out "Bruce". So the reporter is right. C'Mon, Bruce, get with it...
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 16, 2013 3:44 pm

I can imagine the stare Bruce gave that reporter.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 4:35 pm

sil wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:

Don Bylsma.

Those crack me up for some reason.
Sarcastic